Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by blueskeyes
Durian's smell can be horrific. It's sometimes banned in hotels and on public transportation.
I watch Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel.

One episode focused on Asia. I am sure you can imagine the range of foods he tried. The ONLY thing he couldnt swallow was Durian.

(I posted this before reading the entire thread. Post #31 refers to the same episode.)
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K-2MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who use the Lav's while barefoot. Actually heard a FA scold a lady on a flight. This was ORD-NRT where the provide nice slippers. She was heading to the toilet, and the FA stopped her and said "ma'am..do you realize how dirty the floor is in the Lavatory? You might want to at least put some socks on"

This was in C by the way.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I wear my hiking boots when I need to use the lav!

JP
Originally Posted by DCAMIA
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who use the Lav's while barefoot. Actually heard a FA scold a lady on a flight. This was ORD-NRT where the provide nice slippers. She was heading to the toilet, and the FA stopped her and said "ma'am..do you realize how dirty the floor is in the Lavatory? You might want to at least put some socks on"

This was in C by the way.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K!
Kind of a gross topic for my first post, but...

Red-eye from JFK - AMS on Pakistani Airways about 10 years ago. I was seated next to a very rural Pashtun guy that loudly and repeatedly blew his nose and spit coughed-up mucus into the airline blanket. Think about the next time you snuggle up for a sleep
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:25 am

On a IAD-PVD flight a few years back, the gentleman behind me decided that the takeoff roll was a fantastic time to projectile vomit on the back of my headrest. The vomit then sprayed onto the ceiling and proceeded to drip on me and my seatmate.

Unfortunately, since we were taking off, the FA couldn't get up for a few minutes, so all he could do was roll me some paper towels and a few bottles of water. When I looked back, the culprit and his seatmate were both pretty well covered.

The guy was obviously embarassed and extremely apologetic and tracked me down at baggage claim and gave me some cash to replace my shirt, which I had taken off and disposed of in the plane.

I still have nightmares...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I don't understand when the changing of a daiper happens on the seat next to me, use the ....ing bathroom!!!!
Had this on a JFK - KBP (Kiev). The breast feeding was one thing, but then she starts changing the kid in the middle seat between us

Kid was better behaved then the mom.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by alcathiax
Speaking of cheese, in 1994 I was flying MXP-JFK in coach on AZ with my family when just before dinner service when a couple across from us in the same row decided to have a "home-grown" pre-dinner appetizer of Casu Marzu in a glass jar. If nearly everyone losing their appetites afterwards was not enough, when we landed the USDA quarantined us for the better part of the day due to the presence of fly larvae that escaped the jar and into the cabin.

I looked up casu marzu - very glad I had no cheese at lunch, UCK!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
On a recent flight I had an Asian gentleman industriously pick his nose throughout the flight. He would 'dig in', remove something-- look at it closely, then rub it on the armrest. I did attempt to ask him not to do that, but he didn't understand english and just looked at me blankly. Luckily it was a short flight, and I ended up keeping my back to him and stared out the window. (I then later found out, in some cultures this is not deemed inappropriate public behavior)--just like spitting in the street etc.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
On a packed SK A321 OSL-CPH I was in the middle seat. The man in the aisle in front of me picked his hear and proceeded to lean back and roll it over the passenger (who was crouching down at the moment) in the aisle seat next to me. I said nothing, thinking some things are better not to be known.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
I think he meant the lid to the seat. Have to think that was deliberate on the passenger's part. Perhaps it was US Air and he was filing a comment on his thoughts of their post-merger service.
Good one! ^^^
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I'll join the chorus talking about toenail clippers - except I observed this with an American lady in the Delta lounge at the old Nagoya airport. She had here bare feet poised on the coffee table, and the clippings were flying everywhere. Pretty disgusting for this American to observe, let alone the more sensitive Japanese. Oh, and this was done after she had a 15-minute conversation on her phone which must have had a bad connection - since she SHOUTED at the top of her lungs throughout.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauld
--just like spitting in the street etc.
That's why when I enter Mainland China, I try my best not to let scenes like this affect me too much by being mentally prepared.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K-2MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by brendog
On a IAD-PVD flight a few years back, the gentleman behind me decided that the takeoff roll was a fantastic time to projectile vomit on the back of my headrest. The vomit then sprayed onto the ceiling and proceeded to drip on me and my seatmate.

Unfortunately, since we were taking off, the FA couldn't get up for a few minutes, so all he could do was roll me some paper towels and a few bottles of water. When I looked back, the culprit and his seatmate were both pretty well covered.

The guy was obviously embarassed and extremely apologetic and tracked me down at baggage claim and gave me some cash to replace my shirt, which I had taken off and disposed of in the plane.

I still have nightmares...
OMG..this is officially the worst story I have heard. I'm traumatized, and I didn't even see it.

The projectile vomit thing seems to be the in thing in the UK these days. Bad case of a stomach bug thats filling up hospitals.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Orion
Two years ago on a NW flight from Lgw to Dtw a young woman jerked her boyfriend off under a blanket across the aisle from me. After about an hour he lost it somewhere over Newfoundland and let out a sigh and moan of relief. Then he got up and went to the lav to clean up the mess. Anyone for a recycled blanket?
Unfortunately, I ended up once with a blanket like this...I couldn't figure out at first why it was so difficult to get it unfolded! The scary thing was it was wrapped in plastic so it had recently been "cleaned".....
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:16 am

most disgusting?
i saw a man pushing away a woman who was trying to put her case above because this man,he dressed like 007,needed more room to put his bag. the stewardess came to help that lady and this man yelled don't touch his bag cause there's a very expensive laptop in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.