Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:20 pm

Thank god, after reading these postings I am glad the only thing so far I have put up with is smelly scks when shoes come off.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Worst chain-reaction Barfapalooza I can recall was a Scenic Airlines late afternoon sightseeing flight into the Grand Canyon. The thermals were world class and we bumped and jerked all over the place. I was later told that late afternoon flights can be the worst for turbulence. It was a DeHavilland Otter, and every seat was full, and all but three of us barfed. My guess is most barfed from the turbulence, but having someone vomiting next to you activates the gag reflex, so there had to be some sympathy barfing as well.

I was actually one of three on board who did not vomit. And when we got back on the ground at Tusayan, there were TWO large trash cans for air sickness bags. The one trash can was overflowing, and the other was mostly full.

Scenic Airlines had two Otters. Less than a month later, one of them bumped into a chopper beneath the rim of the Canyon, and all those on board the two aircraft were killed.

So while our flight was awful, it could have been worse. Much worse.
This is off-topic, but I wanted to respond to this since I remember this crash (at least it is most likely the same one -- I just checked a list of Grand Canyon crashes to confirm, and there haven't been any other airplane/helicopter mid-air collisions since 1980). When I was in high school I did an airplane flight in the Grand Canyon, with my mother and others. At the end of the flight, the pilots reached out of the cockpit to switch the name plates on the wall behind the cockpit, thereby switching who would be pilot and who would be co-pilot for the next flight. My mother thought that this was interesting, and she took a picture of them making the switch (in a bit of a staged pose after she saw them do it initially).

A few weeks later, we heard about the crash and that everyone was killed, including the pilots. My mother contacted one or both of the pilot's wives and sent copies of the picture. It turns out that it was the last picture that was taken of the two pilots together (or at least that's how I remember it).

By looking up the event we attended in Flagstaff, I know that we flew on about May 30, 1986, and the crash was on June 18, 1986.

This may be incorrect, but I recall that after this flight they didn't let airplanes fly below the rim of the canyon, at least for a while.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Calchas
Respectfully, the same question, substituting "feet", could be asked of any post in this thread, making the whole thread a matter of taste. It depends where one draws the boundaries.
The difference is that many of the posts describe actions and situations that are not confined to the actor. If someone puts a dirty diaper in a seat back pocket, or there's vomit on the seat or tray, that affects anyone who reaches in to the pocket or sits at that seat. If someone is stinky, that affects everyone nearby. If someone is sick and coughing or sneezing, that potentially risks infecting others. If someone puts his or her feet on someone else's armrest (or center console or head rest), that's invading that person's space. In contrast, if someone is barefoot (or is super ugly or wearing garish clothes), that's really just his or her own business.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Originally Posted by anabolism
How does one contract hepatitis from walking barefoot? Aside from licking one's feet after stepping in urine, a la DeepUnderground, of course.
Hepatitis stays around for a long time. Unlike HIV which dies very quickly. Thus it can be absorbed through the smallest cut or through the skin. The most common in the bathroom method is through sitting on a toilet that is contaminated.
Unlikely. See, e.g., Can you get hepatitis from walking around barefoot?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:55 am

UA this morning CHS-ORD. 2A decided it was a good time to trim his fingernails. Bits flying all over the place. Absolutely disgusting. A look of ... got him to stop.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Hand job across the aisle in F.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:20 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Hand job across the aisle in F.
Wait... What?!?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
UA this morning CHS-ORD. 2A decided it was a good time to trim his fingernails. Bits flying all over the place. Absolutely disgusting. A look of ... got him to stop.
The fact that a dirty look stopped this behavior is alarming because it means the person was not totally clueless that this antisocial behavior was not appropriate on an airplane, despite he or she initially thinking it was alright to use the cabin as a grooming station. Honestly, where do these people come from?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Lady in jetBlue mint with a lap dog treating it like its a human child. Disgusting.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:58 pm

EasyJet flight from RAK-MAD was seated in row A next to an American girl dressed in Berber attire, she had been volunteering a Berber village for 6 months. She seemed very nice until she raised her arm to adjust the air vent. Apparently she was was there long enough to have run out of deodorant. Every time she raised her arm I would be assaulted by waives of the worst BO I've ever experienced. I've been on buses in SFO that smelled better than this lady. I made sure to grab her tray and do ANYTHING so she wouldn't have to lift her arms. Oh god...I can still taste the smell... Gag.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by HMO
Wait... What?!?
Yup. Yuck.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:48 pm

Last weekend AS redeye SEA-IAH & the guy (late 60s?) in 3F (I was in 3D) was VERY restless. He was quite literally thrashing about, shaking the entire row in an attempt to find a comfortable sleeping position. I was reading, doing my level best to ignore him. Eventually he calms down & goes to sleep. I look over & his legs are frog-legged with his bare feet nestled cozily in the seat-back pocket....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.