Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: LH SEN
In a long haul flight, someone didn't lift the toilet seat before using it (and it was a "#2").
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MariaSF
In a long haul flight, someone didn't lift the toilet seat before using it (and it was a "#2").
Um, don't most people do "#2" with the toilet seat down?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I think he meant the lid to the seat. Have to think that was deliberate on the passenger's part. Perhaps it was US Air and he was filing a comment on his thoughts of their post-merger service.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: Advantage, United, Krisflyer, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai
Flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles on UA in "Priority Class" (first few rows of coach) on a multi segment First Class ticket......Dirty/bloody tissues on the seat and on the floor in addition to old food bags and other filth. This matter was discussed with FA who stated that UA did not have the resources to clean the seats on continuing flights. The gentleman next to me (from Mexico City) started to scream at her for being rude. She began to threaten him about calling the police and he left the aircraft....not to return.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
Flight to BKK - man with a duty free type plastic bag which he would proceed to spit inside every five minutes or so. Worse still I saw him at the transfer desk once the flight landed and he was still going at it - the bag was about an eighth full by then - which is quite a lot of spit!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: Advantage, United, Krisflyer, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai
Originally Posted by fleet7
Flight to BKK - man with a duty free type plastic bag which he would proceed to spit inside every five minutes or so. Worse still I saw him at the transfer desk once the flight landed and he was still going at it - the bag was about an eighth full by then - which is quite a lot of spit!
I'm curious if the guy was Asian looking (i.e. Chinese). I have witnessed similar events on Cathay Pacific and in Singapore in general. I also read a report that Chinese immigrant communites have huge transmission rates for tuberculosis due to this cultural spitting activity.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Bare feet on the bulkhead.

Incredibly strong-smelling exotic food.

Got sneezed on once on southwest.

1K loudly and drunkenly proclaiming her status.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by robb
Bare feet on the bulkhead.

Incredibly strong-smelling exotic food.

Got sneezed on once on southwest.

1K loudly and drunkenly proclaiming her status.
You win!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by maskedavenger77
I'm curious if the guy was Asian looking (i.e. Chinese). I have witnessed similar events on Cathay Pacific and in Singapore in general. I also read a report that Chinese immigrant communites have huge transmission rates for tuberculosis due to this cultural spitting activity.
This "activity" is widespread in certain parts of the world.

Many years ago on a TG flight from Dhaka to BKK, I was blessed in C with a guy who looked like a vacationing ricksha driver. Not sure how he got into C, but once he entered the cabin there was no doubt where he would sit- in window seat next to my aisle. A few minutes after takeoff, he began the ritual. He called up everything from his reservoir and prepared to let it drip directly into the fliptop ashtray on the arm rest between us!

It was fight or flight time, so I ponted my index finger directly at his nose and said, "NO! Not now, not here." Received a deer-in-the-headlights look followed by the largest swallow reflex ever seen.

That's my contribution!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:02 pm

1. Nail polish remover & actually doing your nails.

2. Feet, especially socks-less feet on the bulkhead seat. Don't even like seeing feet up on the car dashboard while driving!

3. Several years ago, a couple sitting across the aisle began eating something. The smell almost knocked me over the minute they opened the container. Had to ask what they were. It's some kind of fruit called durian? Hate to judge what other people eat, but I couldn't understand how they were eating something w/ such vile stench. Luckily, it was only a hour flight.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
... Several years ago, a couple sitting across the aisle began eating something. The smell almost knocked me over the minute they opened the container. Had to ask what they were. It's some kind of fruit called durian?
Durian's smell can be horrific. It's sometimes banned in hotels and on public transportation.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by blueskeyes
Durian's smell can be horrific. It's sometimes banned in hotels and on public transportation.
But it can be quite tasty to eat if you can get past the smell!
I would not, however, consider eating it on a plane where others would be subject to the smell. That qualifies as gross without a doubt.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
Perhaps it was US Air and he was filing a comment on his thoughts of their post-merger service.
No way, the lav would be blocked-off due to either inoperability or lack of servicing at last turnaround.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719528. Not witnessed by myself, but by someone in biz class that aroused many attention.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I was on an AA flight in first class domestic and the man across the aisle kept picking his nose and wiping the buggers on the upholstery of the seat back in front of him. If my Mom had been with me there would have been a scene.
Two years ago on a NW flight from Lgw to Dtw a young woman jerked her boyfriend off under a blanket across the aisle from me. After about an hour he lost it somewhere over Newfoundland and let out a sigh and moan of relief. Then he got up and went to the lav to clean up the mess. Anyone for a recycled blanket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.