Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why is alcohol allowed to be served on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is alcohol allowed to be served on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
If you have to make a general statement I believe it has to do with the primary purpose of the establishment. Restaurants, sports bars, and dance clubs can claim the primary purpose of their establishment is something else than serving alcohol. Bars would have a very tough time claiming their primary purpose is something other than serving alcohol. Clearly the primary purpose of an airline is to fly you to a destination, not to serve you alcohol.

If you want a better comparison you should compare why you must be 21 to be a CRC member or PC member (I'll exclude NW's WC since they have self serve bars) but you can buy a FC ticket on those same airlines at any age. Both the Clubs and FC will serve you free alcohol. I believe the difference is the local clubs must adhere to local laws and regulations since they are on the ground.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by flyrights
On land, don't you have to be 21 to enter a bar where alcohol is being served, ?
Only in (some States) the USA. In many countries it is quite legal for minors to be served booze.

Is there a problem?

Why do you care?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Why do you want to know?

Originally Posted by uva185
If you have to make a general statement I believe it has to do with the primary purpose of the establishment. Restaurants, sports bars, and dance clubs can claim the primary purpose of their establishment is something else than serving alcohol. Bars would have a very tough time claiming their primary purpose is something other than serving alcohol. Clearly the primary purpose of an airline is to fly you to a destination, not to serve you alcohol.
I think you got it exactly right with this explanation. I also agree with those who mentioned the absurdity of trying to deal with all the variations in state laws.

Why do you ask this question? There are so many inconsistencies in the travel industry, are you looking to get a real answer or just stir up a debate?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Better idea.... ban children on flights & serve more booze!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:20 am
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyrights
Not at all... but that is what they imply ON LAND bars, where children aren't allowed in... so I'm asking, WHY then, is it OK on a plane, when it's not allowed inside a land bar?
That's not what the law implies at all. The law implies that they don't want people under 21 to be served alcohol because it's against the (stupid and backwards) law in the USA. I don't think you can find a valid basis for those laws that include "a child might be scarred if they see alcohol being consumed".

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
That's a great idea! But we need to lower the drinking age to 18 first, because people age 18-21 are NOT children, as much as the nanny federal government would like them to be.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by J-M
That's not what the law implies at all. The law implies that they don't want people under 21 to be served alcohol because it's against the (stupid and backwards) law in the USA. I don't think you can find a valid basis for those laws that include "a child might be scarred if they see alcohol being consumed".
Tell us how you really feel!

(Agreed, BTW)
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Great idea! And without children on flights we probably wouldn't need to drink so much booze!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
An airplane is an enclosed area and inevitably there is a NEED for tolerance for preferences and needs of others so long as it doesn't infringe onto your own personal physical being.

Inevitably the person next to you may wish to drink a glass of wine or a cocktail and it is their right. If there is a child nearby, it is the drinker's decision whether to offer it to the child. FAs are trained not to serve any alcohol to anyone below 21. this is especially in Y. In fact even on SQ, it has been reported that the FAs are quite strict in questioning the age of the passenger in F. So money isn't any issue.

To ask such a question is akin to asking why should women be onboard any airplane. or why should women be given preferencial treatment over men sometimes. And i have seen it happen onboard.More so especially in Australia where there is a lot of self-important female passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Why should planes and airports be allowed to serve high fat, high sugar junk food to kids and adults? Do we think having kids sit next to booze is more dangerous than them chunking down soda and french fries everywhere?

McDonalds and alike have far more impact on young kids' health than bars.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:05 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread has lost altitude since its takeoff. It is now closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.