Wiki Posts
Search

Equator! - where to visit?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL
Equator! - where to visit?

After thinking about where to go in 2008 I came up with "The Equator".

As it goes just around the planet I asked myself: Where to visit it?

I remember reading an article years ago about some place where there isnīt just an equator memorial, but there was also a kind of "equatorial fun park" with Simpsons-esque flushing facillities. It sounds bizarre and maybe itīs an urban legend, but it read like that: flush on equator and see he water go down straight, walk north one kilometer and see it going down clockwise, go south one kilometer and see it going down anti-clockwise...

It sounds so bizarre I start to regret asking for it right now. On the other hand: If it really exists I sure have to visit it... childish me...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:25 pm
Suspended

No amusement park, but if 0"0"0" interests you that can be found Only in Equador outside of Quito.

If you go there be careful there is the new place with a tall monument , and down the street to the right of that is a smallish museam which is where the GPS comes up as 0"0"0". Its not as fancy but a heck of alot more interesting, from being able to balance an egg on a nail head , to watching water go down the drain straight dwon, clock-wise alittle bit off 1way and counter clockwise when the sink is moved to the other side of the Real Equator. theres also a likeness of a native village and not filled like an Outlet Mall is and like the newer place is
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I did the equator in Uganda. Lovely country to visit - include a safari to somewhere like Queen Elizabeth's Park. But no equator park where we were.. I'd rather be surrounded by 200 elephants anyday though
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
The toilet-flushing bit is indeed an urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

If you have the $, consider the Galapagos Islands. The Equator goes right across Isabela island.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
If you have the $, consider the Galapagos Islands. The Equator goes right across Isabela island.
I second that. I will be there in a few short weeks.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:15 pm

The egg balancing thing is a legend, too.

In NZ, the toilets don't spin at all, but that's from the design of the loo. I took this there:
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I second that. I will be there in a few short weeks.
Yes, Galapagos! I haven't been but my friend just returned from a 2 week honeymoon there and has amazing photos.

and as a scientist, I'm fascinated by the place. and would like to go someday!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Galapagos is fascinating. Saw a couple of documentary shows on it and it really is pretty. Would love to diving there one day!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Going to the Equator in Uganda in April.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done the equator in Kenya. I'll be crossing it in Jan in Uganda. I don't intend to stop in any of the tourist traps.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
i stopped at the equator in uganda. except for some vendor stands there was not much there except a big white that says "Uganda" and "Equator" on the top and "N | S" on the bottom, telling you which way was north and which way was south. there was some guy set up on the side of the road that would show you how the water spins differently on each side for a couple of schillings. maybe there wasn't enough water flowing to show the difference but i didn't see anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.