Search

World's Fairs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
World's Fairs

When I was a kid, my parents took me to the NY World's Fair. I think it was 1963. I would have been 10 years old, perfect age for that sort of thing.

I have visited the site of the Montreal 1967 Expo, but it was a good 10 years after the fact. There were still pavilions open, and I did find the China pavillion interesting, especially since China wasn't yet open to masses of US visitors.

We had planned to visit the Knoxville World's Fair in 1982, but Mrs BamaVol was too pregnant and the trip had to be cancelled. We later moved to Knoxville and the site is still there but mostly it is an open park. I've been to the top of the Sunsphere and seen a couple shows in an outdoor venue there. The overall site is pretty small, but friends who lived there in 1982 say they had a blast.

I didn't realize there were still World's Fairs (Expos), probably because there hasn't been one in the US since 1982. I think the last one in North America was Vancouver in 1988? So, I was a little surprised to see that Zaragoza Spain was hosting one next year (2008). I notice that the US is not (yet) sponsoring an exhibit although there is a long list of countries already committed.

I thought it might be fun to visit. It opens about a week before I would be able to get there. Anyone made plans to visit yet? What is Zaragoza like without a World Expo?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I didn't realize there were still World's Fairs (Expos), probably because there hasn't been one in the US since 1982.
Actually, New Orleans held one after Knoxville. I think it was in 1984.

I did not know about the one in Spain, but there was one in Japan (Nagoya?) last year or the year before.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We had planned to visit the Knoxville World's Fair in 1982, but Mrs BamaVol was too pregnant and the trip had to be cancelled. We later moved to Knoxville and the site is still there but mostly it is an open park. I've been to the top of the Sunsphere and seen a couple shows in an outdoor venue there. The overall site is pretty small, but friends who lived there in 1982 say they had a blast.
"But on the plus side, I knocked over the Sunsphere."

-N. Muntz
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:12 pm

I think the last one in North America was Vancouver in 1988?
The Vancouver Expo was in 1986, not 1988.

Mike
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
When I was a kid, my parents took me to the NY World's Fair. I think it was 1963. I would have been 10 years old, perfect age for that sort of thing.
I attended that one too, and I was about 5. Too young to remember too much.

I haven't been to one since.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I attended in Hanover Germany in 2000. The US did not have a display, but a plot of land was reserved for the US. Considering the recent tourist slump, a booth would probably be a good investment.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I went to the one in Spokane, WA. 1974.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
I would love to attend the 2010 fair in Shanghai. Also, if you are looking for good info try Wikipedia or The ExpoMuseum.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
me too but i was 7 and everytime i see men in black (and no, not the stooges short) , i chuckle.

Originally Posted by nako
The Vancouver Expo was in 1986, not 1988.

Mike
went there as well. goalie-sis was stationed (usgc) in seattle at the time and she was able to get extra free tix from her cg buddies for me and goalie-parents.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I have only been to Montreal (in 1967) and Vancouver (in 1986) - at least that I can remember. I may have been to NY in 1963, but would have been 2.

I didn't realize there were still World Fairs held!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:46 pm

I think it was 1963. I would have been 10 years old, perfect age for that sort of thing.
It was 1964 and 1965, a 6-month season each year. I was 13 -14 years old.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Bobster
It was 1964 and 1965, a 6-month season each year. I was 13 -14 years old.
I knew it was a 2 year event, but now I'm not sure which year we went. I guess I was 11 or 12, still a great age for something like this. I recall some of the pavillions; Sinclair Oil had Dinoland, GE had the Carousel of Progress (a little dry but my dad worked for GE), AT&T had videophones, the major auto manufactureres had concept cars, I got an English penpal from somewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
My parents took us to the 1964-1965 NY World's Fair and Expo67 in Monteal. Like Bama Vol (we must be about the same age), I can still remember many of the pavilions at the NY Fair - the IBM Pavilion (shaped like an IBM Selectric ball) and its "people mover," Sinclair's Dinoland, the Pepsi Pavilion ("It's a small world after all"), the twin towers of the NY State Pavilion overlooking the Unisphere, the audioanimatronic Lincoln at the Illinois Pavilion, and GM's "World of Tomorrow" (boy, were they wrong!). I think Brass Rail had the main food concession and Belgian waffles seemed to be the most popular food item. About all I can remember about the Montreal fair is the monorail and the fact that we rented the basement apartment in some family's home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.