Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the average cost per pound to fly 1,000 miles at $3/gallon fuel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know the average cost per pound to fly 1,000 miles at $3/gallon fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:18 pm

Interesting. I think that shows the total fuel cost per passenger based on actual fuel consumption. But perhaps the cost per 4 oz is not right, because removing 4 oz of payload doesn't make the aircraft itself any lighter, you still have the fixed cost of carrying the airplane's weight.

I didn't have fuel consumption data so I used minimum fuel carried as an approximation. I also ignored the fuel required to carry the weight of the plane because we only wanted the marginal cost of extra payload weight.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by deubster
I've heard of some puddle jumper flights that weighed customers and luggage to balance the plane, but I've never been on one. I'm guessing the first airline that includes customer weigh-ins as part of its pricing and ticketing will lose all its potential female customers, and will never earn a dime thereafter.
I don't think I've ever been weighed, but I've been asked my weight, and I get sized up and seated accordingly on smaller planes on Caribbean flights. On small piston planes into CPX and VQS, they are really careful where they seat me (260 #, 6'3"), but even on bigger turbos like American Eagle ATRs they will only let me sit in certain places. Recently, on an American Eagle ATR from DOM-SJU, the FA let me move to a seat up front with an adjacent empty seat, but only after we were airborne, and I had to move back before landing. Never thought of myself as two-legged ballast before!

DB
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:09 pm

You might adjust your calculations to reflect that a barrel of oil is 42 gallons not 30...
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jwrhn
... a barrel of oil is 42 gallons not 30...
A barrel of beer is 30 gallons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.