Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever leave your laptop in your hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 7:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

all the time, like others have suggested I use the do not disturb sign and a cable lock when I won't be there.
Old May 16, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Frequently - I'd rather leave it in the room than the car.

Usually I'm traveling with some size of Samsonite hard-shell case, so in it goes, camera and all, clothes on top, and locked in the case out of sight.
Old May 16, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
I stopped taking the cable lock. I leave the Do Not Disturb on the door, the radio on, and I double check the door is securely locked. I travel with either a company laptop or a personal laptop, I am OCD about protecting whichever laptop it is I have with me, I do leave the laptop in the room and I do occasionally worry about it.
Old May 16, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
I have had computers and cameras stolen from 4 star properties. Lock them up unless you are prepared to loose them.
It’s kind of like the checking a bag rule don’t check it if your not willing to go without it!
Old May 16, 2007, 10:46 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I don't leave anything valuable in sight. Instead I put them into my suitcase and lock it up.

I use safes if available, but a laptop rarely fits inside.

HTB.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Justme123456
I leave it in my room after a day working all the time. Never had a problem. I've been doing it for years and I don't even think twice about it.

My sentiments exactly.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I have a hard case suitcase and usually will lock it in the bag when I am going out. At night when I go out, I put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and can leave it out most of the time
Old May 17, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-LT Plat; BA-CCR & LT Gold; SQ-Solitaire; DL-Plat; SPG-LT Plat; HHonors-Diamond; Hyatt-Globalist
I do leave my laptop in the room regularly and most times it is charging. On the other hand, my passport, extra phones, extra credit cards always go into the in room safe.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Often I'm on a trade show floor for ten hours and there's nowhere but my room to leave it.

I'm not too worried - It has computrace on it http://www.computrace.com/ so it will likely get recovered if stolen, or there will be a hard-disk wipe.
Old May 17, 2007, 1:55 pm
cmj

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
If I'm in a nicer hotel, I just put it in a drawer and don't worry about it. If I'm in a hostel or motel, I'm more cautious if going out for more than a few minutes.

On a side note, I'm amazed by how many people say they leave the TV or radio on when they leave the room. I hate to be the tree-hugging hippie, but it's wasteful. I don't understand why it's considered optional to turn off the lights and TV when you go out. I know one flight probably uses more energy than that TV on for a whole year, but you have to start somewhere.
Old May 17, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
Originally Posted by lexi
Just curious as to what most folks do when they travel. Have you ever left your laptop in your hotel room? Do you worry about housekeeping walking off with it?

What about your other valuables? How do you keep them safe when they are in the room and you're not?
I have always left my laptop in my room, I travel frequently and all over the world, maybe I've been lucky but no problems yet. I do use the hotel safe for cash and other valuables though. I also notice that a lot of hotels chains have started puting in new laptop sized safes
Old May 17, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
Originally Posted by cmj
If I'm in a nicer hotel, I just put it in a drawer and don't worry about it. If I'm in a hostel or motel, I'm more cautious if going out for more than a few minutes.

On a side note, I'm amazed by how many people say they leave the TV or radio on when they leave the room. I hate to be the tree-hugging hippie, but it's wasteful. I don't understand why it's considered optional to turn off the lights and TV when you go out. I know one flight probably uses more energy than that TV on for a whole year, but you have to start somewhere.
Well, if the sound of the TV and the lights keep out the guy who is looking to steal my laptop.....
Old May 17, 2007, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
never...and if I do, I put the Do NOT DISTUTB sign out....
Well, must not be never then.
Old May 17, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
During the day I usually am at a client site and have my laptop with me. At other times or if I am working from the hotel room for the day, I will generally put it away in a drawer or some other less obvious place if housekeeping hasn't made up the room yet. Once the room is made up for the day, I leave it out on the desk. So far, no problems....

--Jon

P.S. I rarely take my laptop on leisure trips. The few times I do, I use the same approach as above.
Old May 17, 2007, 2:41 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Well if there's a safe that my Powerbook can fit into I'll use it but those safes are few and far between and I don't think we've ever found one that will hold my hubby's 17" Macbook. So they stay out, sometimes in their backpacks, sometimes just on the desk. Now, granted we are staying at 4 and 5 star hotels mostly. But we've never had anything stolen and we travel with ipods, QC2's extra hard drives, seemingly dozens of UBS drives, blackberries, phones etc. If I thought the place were dodgy I'd look for a solution but as is I tend not to worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.