Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: VAG
With scheduled service, it'd probably be GHC -- Great Harbour Cay, The Bahamas. There's a runway, and... well, there's a runway. At my departure there was also a woman on hand to give me a really vigorous patdown before my international flight in an eight-seater prop to Fort Lauderdale. There's no lounge per se, but it's a short walk to the island's only bar, at the beach, where I was the only customer. Good times!

Without scheduled service it was probably FOS -- Forrest, Western Australia. With a population of 16, it's still the largest town in a 100km radius.

Having said that, it's a surprisingly large airport, with two well-paved runways and a tennis court inside one of the hangars.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gringa
Saba, St. Barths and Anguilla
I did SBH a couple weeks ago and SAB back in November. SBH is much larger than SAB and both are huge compared to the hut at BBQ.

Saba Landing:

SBH Landing:
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:01 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Santa Fe for me.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
YAK in Alaska recently
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Delete double post

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Aug 28, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Although I haven't been there, the thread reminds me of Ian Coppinger's stand-up comedy routine involving flying from SXL:

Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Drake Bay Costa Rica on nature air, the luggage handler was also the taxi driver
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by steveo
Drake Bay Costa Rica on nature air, the luggage handler was also the taxi driver
Westray in Scotland is the same way. Picked us up, drove to the airport, left us out front while he put on the safety vest to marshal the plane in, loaded our bags and let us board. Zero chance of missing our flight that day.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
Last month few in and out of EAT - Pangborn Memorial Airport, Wenatchee, WA.

I wondered if I'd hear the PA announcement: "Now arriving: the flight at the gate"
I do SEA-EAT a few times a month... nice little airport.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
CLD, CHO, MFR and ACK but I think CLD is the winner. It was only served by one airline where the others are served by multiple.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 am

For me it would be North Caicos island in the Turks and Caicos. NCA. It has no regularly scheduled flights, haha. The pilot for our little puddle jumper also ran the only hotel on the island.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by steveo
A lot of the rural Costa Rican airstrips qualify. My favorite is Tortuguero (TTQ) on the north Caribbean coast. You get picked up by motor boat since the region has no roads.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
With jetways: Fort Walton Beach (2 gates, only ever used Gate 2). No jetways: Inyokern, CA (IYK)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: Many
It's not as small as some but still quite small - Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where earlier this summer I was amazed there was no TSA presence, no visible security apparatus at all (could have been a CCTV camera somewhere, I suppose). Check in, check bag, get on flight when it's ready to board. I've been to a few smaller ones, but never thought I'd get on a flight in the U.S. again without passing through security.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

For me lately it was BHB. The hint was when the rental car dropoff/short term/long term parking were all the same gravel lot right in front of the terminal.

There was TSA, including one poor lady who had the unfortunate assignment of going through each piece of checkin luggage by hand. And another very friendly guy who gave an adorable spiel before opening the TSA line 30 minutes before the flight. One older passenger was worried when they took her bottle of water, so TSA brought her a new one.

We then got to watch the tiny older lady who checked us in try and lift suitcases above her head to push them into the plane. (None of those girly conveyer belts for this Maine lass.)

Now this wasn't the largest plane, this turbo prop was not even as big as the private jet that landed a few minutes earlier. But the ladder, you couldn't really call them stairs, up to the plane made it very exciting to watch them load the disabled folks. Yes, out of 35 possible passengers on this plane, 4 of them used canes.

All this said, it was an enjoyable experience. There may be only one gate, and no jetways, but they did have wifi and a place to plug in your electronics. The bathrooms were nice and clean, and every employee was friendly. What more could you ask.

Oh, and only two airlines flew in here, the bigger one being capeair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.