Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Choice Hotels "100% satisfaction" guarantee?

Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

My husband and I recently stayed at a Comfort Inn. We were there four nights. During our entire visit, our room was never cleaned - bed not made up, no towels, nothing. The only time we had any indication that anyone was in our room was one day when we returned late and found that they had taken our dirty towels but not replaced them! This was in spite of the fact that every night when we returned and discovered our room uncleaned, we notified the front desk. However, while we were there, we noticed the card in our room that said "100% satisfaction guarantee." Basically it said, notify us if anything is wrong, and we'll make it right, or your stay's on us. However, when we went to check out and asked for the guarantee (at least for one or two nights), they freaked out and insisted that either we had had our room cleaned and/or we never notified the front desk. (they couldn't seem to decide which of the two was true)

So, just wondering, has anyone else ever successfully asked for the 100% satisfaction guarantee at Choice Hotels?

Last edited by AsiaTraveler; Mar 8, 2007 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
I stayed at the Comfort Inn Bayswater in London UK this past January and it was a less than great experience. No hot water one morning, broken lift, rude and apathetic service, not enough towels, nails sticking out the back of the Ikea night stand etc etc. When I got back to the states I called Comfort Inn's 1-800 number and filed a complaint. They told me that I would recieve a written reply from the property manager within a week. After having not recieved a reply in 2 weeks I called back corporate and they cut me a check for $80 to compensate me. They could not refund the cost of the room because I purchased it as part of a UA Vacations package.

The moral of the story is that I suggest you call their corporate complaints department and see what sort of remedy they suggest; this path worked out quite well for me.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
So, just wondering, has anyone else ever successfully asked for the 100% satisfaction guarantee at Choice Hotels?
I once got a $50 voucher after complaining about the worst hotel room between the Pacific and the Atlantic at a "Choice" (if hotels were beef, they wouldn't call it "Choice", but "Cutters and Canners") franchise (and most, maybe all are franchises) in Amarillo, Texas, but doing so was tougher than a Michelin Steel Cord Sirloin.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:23 pm

"100% satisfaction guarantee" only applies while you are still at the hotel. You have to explain your problem, allow them to fix/repair such said problem.

If they offered to fix the problem and you declined, your 100% satification guarantee is now nul/void.

:example:

"I didnt care the rental had a flat tire, I was in a hurry. Now that I am 500 miles from no where standed....I expect compensation"
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sundrop
"100% satisfaction guarantee" only applies while you are still at the hotel. You have to explain your problem, allow them to fix/repair such said problem.

We contacted the front desk every single night when we got back and discovered our room had not been cleaned (so they could let the staff know for better service the next day). One day we also contacted the front desk as we were leaving the room to let them know that we would be out of the room the rest of the day, so please have housekeeping come while we are out. Is this not what you are talking about?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:30 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
We contacted the front desk every single night when we got back and discovered our room had not been cleaned (so they could let the staff know for better service the next day). One day we also contacted the front desk as we were leaving the room to let them know that we would be out of the room the rest of the day, so please have housekeeping come while we are out. Is this not what you are talking about?
Write them a letter and send it to their head office if the hotel won't sort your problems out directly.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
Write them a letter and send it to their head office if the hotel won't sort your problems out directly.
Done and done. Just wondering if I have any hope.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by sundrop

If they offered to fix the problem and you declined, your 100% satification guarantee is now nul/void.
Not in my experience. I stayed at a Quality Inn in Cincinnati that had no hot water. As I was checking out they got the hot water fixed, and offered to allow me back into my room for a shower which I was unable to accept because I had to hit the road. I later wrote a letter to Choice invoking the 100% satisfaction guarantee, and was given a full refund. Be aware that it takes Choice a VERY long time to respond, but you should get your money back. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
It seems that most Choice motels are franchised by people from India. They will not refund any money at all.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Here's how it all turned out. I got the following email from the actual property:

DEAR MS. GONZALEZ,
I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE ON BEHALF OF THE STAFF HERE AT COMFORT INN, GULF SHORES, AL I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THE SERVICE THAT YOU DID NOT RECEIVE ON MARCH 4, 2007 I HAVE SPOKEN WITH HOUSEKEEPING ON THE OTHER DAYS THAT YOU WERE IN HOUSE ON THOSE DAYS SERVICE WAS PROVIDED I HAVE ISSUED A 10.00 PLUS TAX CREDIT UNFORTUNATELY I CANNOT COMP YOU FOR ONE FREE NIGHT BUT I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE YOU STAY WITH US AGAIN TO GIVE YOU SATISFACTORY SERVICE OF THE LEVEL YOU EXPECT, ONCE AGAIN I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE TAMMY GARDNER, GENERAL MANAGER

That credit had actually been issued when we were checking out- so this was no further satisfaction. Notice how she basically says that I am lying about not receiving service other days? I emailed back but got no reply.

I did follow up with Choice corporate and they issued me $40 in vouchers that can be used like cash at any Choice hotel. I told them that the problem and the hassle it caused us made me inclined to request two night's compensation. However, the CSR said that the t&c of the guarantee state that it's only for the first night. (Of course the cards in the room simply say "or your stay's on us.") I asked about where that was written and she said I could find the terms on their website. I have been unable to find anything on their website about the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

However, overall, it's a satisfactory outcome- at least, it's not worth my time to pursue it any more.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by tfmotors
It seems that most Choice motels are franchised by people from India.
Originally Posted by tfmotors
They will not refund any money at all.
Perhaps you could explain the link?

Mike
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I August 2004 we had an award stay for 1 night at a Comfort Inn in California somewhere between Death Valley and Yosemite.

Anyway, the hotel had no AC and it was 80 degrees out and the room was HOT. Twice people were given keys to our room even though we already occupied it.

I complained to the front desk to no avail. The hotel was a 16000 point/night hotel because its near a ski area in the winter. I called choice hotels and explained my situation and that I wanted 8000 points back. I thought that was fair because we had a poor stay. They contacted the hotel and received no response.

They offered me 2000 points and I declined and haven't stayed at another since. I have 175+ nights with Marriott properties since then.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:43 pm

Guarantee/ Shmarantee

After checking into an Econolodge in Colorado Springs and entering in a foul smelling room, I did approach the front desk with my complaint. The clerk wasn't about to do a thing about it. She wouldn't get anyone to look into the room (only one on staff), wouldn't offer another room (booked up), wouldn't offer the Manager (after hours), wouldn't guarantee the manager would refund (if I departed the night). I calmly told her that I'll be spending the night on their lobby couch until she figures something out.

Ten minutes later, the manager did show up, and the source of the odor was found and eliminated. My point is, if I didn't insist on making a jackass of myself and risk getting arrested for loitering, the Choice Hotel Satisfaction guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, fastenerguy
I am moving your thread to the Choice Hotels Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.