Consulting Firm's Travel Policies And Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consulting Firm's Travel Policies And Perks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
This stuff is all automated in the US. Routine audits pick up unreported deposits into bank accounts and it then becomes the taxpayer's burden to prove the deduction. People get knicked for $1,000 and less in unreported income all the time. This is a significant amount by those standards.

If it goes unreported, it's also subject to interest and penalties which more than make up for the cost of chasing it down.
It would be the company's responsibility to report all taxable income payments to employees by including the amounts on W-2 forms. For consultants, etc. the company should call it miscellaneous taxable income and submit the appropriate form to report it, but some companies might not be very careful about this.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Please let me know where I can forward my resume!!
Yeah! The company I worked for was very strict. They paid for business class. If you booked first, you paid the difference. If you booked coach the company thanked you for your generosity and kept the difference. Tax reasons. If they let you keep the money it is no longer a travel expense for them so they have to classify it differently. And it's reportable as income for you.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Yeah! The company I worked for was very strict. They paid for business class. If you booked first, you paid the difference. If you booked coach the company thanked you for your generosity and kept the difference. Tax reasons. If they let you keep the money it is no longer a travel expense for them so they have to classify it differently. And it's reportable as income for you.
That's not surprising.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's why many businesses have stopped paying out "in kind" bonuses such as trips and watches. Those things are all income, but as you haven't received cash, that gold watch may mean laying out the taxes on it as if it had been paid in cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.