Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Old May 26, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Adding to the statistics, I had number 7 yesterday in about 2000 landings. This one was very early in the approach process, due to cross traffic - I assume we were approaching 35 and another was approaching/leaving 26 or one of the 27s

Last edited by CPRich; May 31, 2012 at 8:18 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have had 2 out of 787 landings. 1 was on QR landing in Doha and construction equipment was on the runway. The other was on KE landing in Cairo and the runway was fogged in.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:54 am

Pull-ups were pretty common for me when I was a toddler; I wore them all the time! And today: I'm a big boy now!

Honestly a go-around, or missed approach in instrument conditions/approaches, can be initiated at any time the pilot flying, pilot not flying, or controller deems necessary and are ALWAYS done for the safety of the operation.

GA/MP's are common and well practiced procedures and are nothing out of the ordinary for pilot or controller. Published missed approach procedures can be rather complicated sometimes but that's why forward planning is essential.

It was drilled into me early, especially in non-precision instrument approaches, that if it doesn't seem right hit the reset button (or turn the power off, pull the cartridge out and blow, then turn the Nintendo back on) and try it again.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm closing in on 1,000 flights and it's only happened to me once.

- October, 2003. Flying HP PHX-SAN. We approached SAN which was both fogged in and under reduced viability from smoke due to wildfires at the time. Pilot attempted a landing and due to the visibility being below the minimums, pulled up at the last minute. Scary stuff, you could hear the carts in the galley straining against their locks.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: ANA SFC, Priority Club
Interestingly, I've only had four or five, but they've always been on LH (which I fly less often than other * carriers). Most were in poor weather conditions, but I recall one time flying into DEN when the pilot said that the approach they had been assigned was 'too tight' and so he elected to go around.

At the time, I remember wondering if LH had a particularly 'liberal' policy towards rejecting landings or if i was just (un)lucky...

-Kush
Old May 29, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Are go-arounds tracked by flight and published on the the BTS website?

I remember being on a plane attempting to land at ATL when the pilot gunned the engine and pulled up just before landing. He later announced that a plane had not cleared the runway. Since I've got my flight history tracked in FlightMemory, it wouldn't be that hard to isolate the flight if it is notated somewhere.

(For the BTS experts: On a somewhat related note, I was on an AA flight once that departed from San Antonio only to return to the same airport less than a few minutes into the flight because of the smell of burning electrical equipment. Even though I know the specifics of this flight from my travel documents, I've never been able to find that flight on the BTS website, which prevents me from figuring out the specific aircraft (registration number) that had the problem.)

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old May 29, 2012, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Only one that I can remember in over 3.5 million miles, but a lot in long haul, so maybe a thousand landings. My delayed TWA connecting flight was about a few feet off the ground at PHL when the airport suddenly lost all electric power in a summer thunderstorm. Apparently when the lights on the runway went dark, the pilot's immediate reaction was to go back up. We returned to JFK and had a redo after waiting several hours for the weather to improve after the power at PHL came back on. When we landed, they told us that the monitors had already shown us as landed, which caused some concern in the terminal when no airplane was there.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:56 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Have had go-arounds twice in many years of flying. Most dramatic one was landing in Sydney after the 14 hour flight from SFO -- with low ceilings, rain, and just after the curfew lifted. Apparently another heavy had not cleared the runway with enough separation.

I can't imagine something more frustrating -- after so much flight time, you just want to get it down safely. And then, who is responsible for the extra 5,000 pounds of fuel burnt doing the go-around because someone was a slowpoke off the active... ?
Old May 30, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I've had 2 go-arounds in the last six months. The first one was coming into VIE on Austrian and the second into LHR on BA. Both were due to the plane in front not clearing the runway quick enough after landing. For the most recent one, our pilot said that the plane in front had missed its designated exit and continued on down the runway.

I also had a minor aborted take off a few weeks ago at LHR but the pilot aborted during the first few seconds and before the throttles were opened fully so we came to gentle rolling stop rather than him having to slam on the brakes. This was due to the pilot receiving an emergency message from the airline to abort and return to the stand.

Such events don't scare me - actually the opposite. In all three cases the pilots were well trained, knew exactly what to do and acted with safety as a priority.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

I fly weekly, and have a go around every few months...more rare are aborted take offs.

But I also live very near the airport in SAN, and witness several per week (and that's when I am home and looking, I imagine there are much more..SAN can be a troublesome approach).
Old May 30, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I've had 1 in around 450 flights. There was a lot of dense fog in PDX and the 752 had to make a go-around. It was fairly exciting since the 757 is so powerful.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:14 am

I remember being on a flt landing at DTW once. Didn't think it was any biggee
Old May 31, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: United MP
I've watched hundreds of go-arounds from the ground over the past 30 years. I have never had it happen on any of my flights though. I suppose it will happen sooner or later.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Swiss/Miles&More, Delta Skymiles, Chase UltimateRewards
Originally Posted by jwillett13
If the voices are a little shaky, its because when we do a go-around, its all elbows and @ssholes in the cockpit. Even though we train every year to do a go-around, it is still an abnormal condtion and things become very hurried. So if you hear a shaky voice its because we (the capt or the f/o) remembered to pick up the mike and say something over the PA, not because we a scared
Firstly, thanks to the pilots on here for clearing things up technically and putting minds at rest! Even when I (as a pilot-in-training myself) try to explain to non-flying friends technical things about how what I'm doing in the left seat works, it can still make people nervous.

That all being said, in my grand old 77.5 hours of logged time as PIC of the Cessna 152 Heavy, out of ~180 landings I'd say there would have been about 30 or 40 more, but I went around after screwing it up! However, one day I chose (bad Aeronautical Decision Making!) to go up on a windy day for crosswind practice- runway 6/24 and it was 010 9 knots gusting 16 which turned into 12G18- about half of the 6 landings that day were go arounds due to the tricky winds!

Commercially, where I'm not in the front, I've never in my 21 years of ~50 hour a year flying had a fun of a go-around, however something interesting did happen at LAX- I was on a AE CR9 from DEN and we landed 24R- the northern most of LAX's 4 runways towards the sea. We roll the length of the runway and exit on AA (a taxiway name, nothing to do with my Coke and Rum!) for the 20 minute taxi, and are about to cross 24L, the parallel runway, when BAM someone hit the brakes and we screech to a halt. Silence ensues, with no one on the horn giving an explanation, and then ROOOOAAARRR, as an Asiana 747 blasts past in front of us and into the sky! Luckily I was on the right and saw her climb sluggishly off to Korea over the ocean, so I guess someone noticed at the last moment and let us know we should stop. That or those EagleFlight guys drive their CRJ's like Ferraris!

-NwaRJ
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm.. I have about 2 a year on average. A completely unscientific guess would make this somewhere in the range of ~1.5% personally.

Most recently in the middle of the May arriving at FRA on an A321- too much wind shear so it was a touch and go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.