Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
It can be quite dramatic which is a welcome distraction from the normal monotony of air travel...
I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it a "welcome distraction for the normal monotony."
My worst was a DL 3-holer every seat full, landing at ATL at night - we slammed the runway so hard that we bounced maybe 30 feet back up - whereupon the cockpit firewalled it and we staggered - literally staggered up - sucking up the gear and landing flaps and went around. The cabin was full of teenagers - sports teams of some sort - and there was a lot of yelling and screaming while we were climbing.
When we finally deplaned, the cockpit was not standing at the door saying "bu-bye"
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LarryJ
250kts is the maximum speed allowed below 10,000', it is not an approach speed. No airliner flies it's final approach at anything anywhere near 250kts. An MD80 with a complete flaps/slats failure would fly final at around 190kts.

The ground speed is higher landing at a high-elevation airport because of the lower density of the air. The airspeed is the same as at lower-elevation airports but that same 140kts, for example, produces a higher ground speed at higher-elevation airports. 140kts at sea-level would be 154kts at 5,500'.
Right, sorry I should have clarified. Nobody is on final at 250
That would really be scary!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:44 pm

In well pover a thousand ups and downs I have experienced this three times... All with in a couple of months of each other...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Zero aborted landings in 50+ segs in the last 6 months, but colleagues had an "aborted" take-off last week on KL AMS-LHR. Captain thought he might have grounded the tail, so flew around for 45 mins to burn off fuel then landed back in Schiphol. They got an overnight hotel - hopefully with a free drink to calm the nerves.

I assume 737s can't dump fuel - or the North Sea is too busy with shipping ...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:42 am

I've had one in about 500,000 BIS miles: at CDG in about 2004. Pilot didn't elaborate on the cause.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by dunk
I assume 737s can't dump fuel
Correct, I believe.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:30 am

I've only had one landing where the wheels were on the ground before we took off again. It was probably a 737 into BLI with a 6700 ft runway. We were about wheels down when there was wind sheer that lifted the plane up a little. It just put us too far down the runway to land sucessfully. The pilot gunned it and we took off again. The second attempt we landed hard, but stayed on the ground.

I'm guessing I have flown 500-750 lifetime segments, no idea for sure. Other than that one I have had one or two go arounds, but never where we were fully engaged in the landing attempt.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dunk
colleagues had an "aborted" take-off last week on KL AMS-LHR. Captain thought he might have grounded the tail, so flew around for 45 mins to burn off fuel then landed back in Schiphol.
That's not an aborted takeoff. An aborted takeoff is when the takeoff is aborted and the airplane stops on the runway. If you get airborne then it was a takeoff.

I assume 737s can't dump fuel - or the North Sea is too busy with shipping ...
Most airplanes do not have a fuel dump system. They are mostly on the larger widebodies though not all wideboies have them.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:29 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
In my last 7 years of flying I had only 2 aborted landing. One was because of bad weather conditions, another one was because the runway was blocked by a landing airplane before us.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by szg
In my last 7 years of flying I had only 2 aborted landing. One was because of bad weather conditions, another one was because the runway was blocked by a landing airplane before us.

The latter example is the most typical, and it's usually a case of misjudgment in the relative speeds between two landing aircraft, or the aircraft on the ground taking just a little too long exiting the runway. The tower controller can direct the landing aircraft to "go around" or the pilot can unilaterally make the decision.

A bad weather go-around due to visibility or ceiling in the US is rare, and in theory due to regs, should never happen. Part 121 (scheduled air service, i.e. airlines) operations have very strict conditions under which they can even attempt an instrument approach. Part 91 (private, non-scheduled, non-revenue generating flights) are allowed to attempt any approach under which they are qualified, and therefore may "have a look" at the conditions at the end of the approach. I can't speak to the JAA/CAA regs or those in other parts of the world.

Winds would be an example of weather causing a go-around.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jwillett13
If the voices are a little shaky, its because when we do a go-around, its all elbows and @ssholes in the cockpit. Even though we train every year to do a go-around, it is still an abnormal condtion and things become very hurried. So if you hear a shaky voice its because we (the capt or the f/o) remembered to pick up the mike and say something over the PA, not because we a scared
Just to amplify this...... It's a non-trivial operation, and as you point out, it's trained for due to the seriousness of failure. The plane has to be cleaned up (aerodynamically), descent arrested, and climb initiated. All of these items take precious time, and momentum (think big object going fast) dictates the need for a lot of energy- which also requires time.

Airline flying is very professional, and the rigorous approach to training is why these operations are both rare and not often-reported on.

In the private-flying world, go-arounds aren't practiced enough. The operation can throw off a pilot's routine and cause him to miss a checklist item as he prepares for the next landing. In a complex aircraft, this can be a serious issue.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:05 am

Once had 2 in one day trying to fly into BRW due to limited visibility as the fog was rolling in off of the Arctic Ocean. Close enough to the ground to see the cracks in the runway number paint as we blew past them coming from the south. And close enough to see the individual waves hitting the breakwater coming in from the north.

Also a three-attempt day flying into JNU. A few other places too, but I've lost track.

Last edited by seat17D; Mar 10, 2007 at 12:11 am
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
more videos of go-arounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOGB2PMQUCM
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: PPS Krisflyer, Miles and More
In my career as a Flight Attendant I had only about 3 aborted landings with Swissair.

But later, on a vacation in the Philippines, I had two scary ones in a row. During a typhoon in Manila, the captain made 2 go-arounds and I was really scared the first time in a plane. How many times you read that a plane crashes during bad weather after trying to land 2 times and the 3rd try was the crash. I think he just had to bring that plane to the ground as he probably had not enough fuel left to try again. The runway was full of water and it splashed like a waterfall while landing. He could stop that plane about 20 metres before the end of the runway...
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've been on 9 flights that I can recall over the last 25 years that aborted landings. 6 at YYZ all because of either another plane still on runway in front of us or because of birds(geese) being hit by another plane on it's takeoff and the maintenance crews had to go clean up their remains off the runway. Best one of these was on a BA 747 when we were almost on the ground when the pilot just gunned the engines and we went round(the thrust was amazing ,much more noticeable than on a conventional takeoff). 1 at MAN on a 737 due to wind shear and that was scary the way the plane was being tossed around prior to aborting. The other 2 have been at LHR due to another plane still on the runway and PIT for the same reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.