Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Had one a couple of years ago into LGW I believe. When we finally landed, there was another large airliner that looked like it had been pulled off the runway between two landing strips. I was very glad for the go-around. There were no announcements, but I'm sure that disabled plane was the cause. (I would identify the type if I was as knowledgable as many of you.)
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (1MM), HH LT Diamond,, Marriott LT Platinum
Two:

NRT because of crosswinds

MLI because of wind shear
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
I've had two aborted landings in several hundred flights.

Cubana at London Gatwick, off centre and missed the runway so did a go-round.
Air France, Paris CDG did a go-round don't know why.

I've also been on an Japan Airlines 747-400 at Heathrow which aborted a takeoff about 15 seconds into the takeoff roll. "Ahhh. Air traffic control say nogo. We try again". That is a bit of a fright because the plane shudders to a halt with the engines still screaming.

I've also had an aborted takeoff on a light aircraft, that was because there was a 4 wheel drive vehicle driving up the bit of beach we were using for a runway.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
They're neither rare nor, generally, dangerous. I get one every couple
years maybe; the last was into SFO, where the pilot said (after the
missed - didn't say anything during) that someone had been slow
crossing the runway.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:08 pm

Only one in many years of flying -- at BOS coming in from Europe a couple of years ago on NWA. The pilot said that another plane pulled onto the runway as we were coming in.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: Various
I've had three aborted landings, but only one counts as a pull-up:

Summer of 1988, HP flight into San Diego on a 737. 1st attempt, we were about 200 feet above the runway, pulled up and went around to land. Was not really scarry, everyone just kind of rolled with it.

May 2006, AA flight DFW into SNA on a 737. We got down to about 1,500 ft and didn't land due to aircraft unable to retract flaps/configuration. We were diverted to LAX with full force emergency crew greeting. No big deal to me, I'm not sure how I'd feel about a "touch and go" into SNA, it's just such a short runway. Other pax were griping about it though.

Just last week AA flight SFO into HNL on a 763 (NGBC). We got down to about 1,000 ft and didn't land due to reports of debris on our runway. Funny thing was when we did land on another runway, there was a small emergency crew on our runway.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I've had 2 over about 900 landings.

By far, not the worst thing that has happend to me on a plane (aborted takeoffs are much worst )
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
over 1mm between various carriers (600k on DL + partners)...
3 aborted landings - 2 due to other aircraft in the way; 1 unexplained ( )
2 aborted takeoffs - full-on, charge-down-runway-then-stop; both were due to warning lights in the cockpit. We eventually few out on one; the other was cancelled.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:53 am
Original Poster

got some statistics

Looked at the weather conditions in Frankfurt that day. Wind gusting to almost 45 knots.

Googled some numbers: Frequency of go arounds is about 1 in 1000 to 1 in 4000 depending on airport. That steep full power climb indeed felt reassuring. Feeling that constant power instead of the random weather gusts.

The announcements by stewardess and captain alike were in slightly shaky voices. It was hairy enough for many passengers to vomit.

Tapani
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:16 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by Hartmann
When the conditions are like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4jeEfhBiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LaAkAyoz0

Both are notorious airports for aborted landings.

And of course, the classic Pilot Induced Oscillation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMageU9lng
I think most of them would make me vomit - the last one is a fake, surely?!?

Had one aborted landing at NCL due to snow in maybe 50 flights. Captain told us to look out of the windows, which we did, to see a total whiteout. Circled the north sea for 20mins and landed without problems.

Had a few drawn-out bumpy landings that I would rather have had aborted though
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
None so far, despite having flown twice weekly since last July. That said, I felt like one was coming today - the poor F50 was being blown all over the place on approach to AMS, and we landed on one wheel, then the other, then both...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Hartmann
When the conditions are like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4jeEfhBiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LaAkAyoz0

Both are notorious airports for aborted landings.

And of course, the classic Pilot Induced Oscillation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMageU9lng
God, my stomach was jumping just watching these. I have only had one abort last year at DFW. We deplaned and waited an hour while they got us another plane.

The inter island flights in Hawaii can be really scary. Even coming into OGG on a 767 is really bumpy.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I’ve only had one and that was going into ORD from DFW. I believe it was due to traffic on the runway they said. Worked out fine in the long run but I would definitely prefer to not experience it again any time soon!!!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I've had two, both on Continental and both landing at IAH. First was missed approach and second was because there was still a plane on the runway we were to land on.

I haven't flown Cointinental since.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: BA
A very rough estimate for commercial flights is something between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1,000 from a stabilised final approach to the runway. It is variable mainly by weather encountered, and also by location.

London Heathrow airport averages one a day. Sometimes none for a week, sometimes several in a day.

It is almost always unconnected with the airline; any carrier would normally have done the same thing from the same point in their approach.

I don't know why some get so worked up about them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.