What food is NOT allowed on a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food is NOT allowed on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by pacer142
Presumably the yogurt was in a container of less than 100ml and thus could have been put in the liquids bag?
I have yet to see a yogurt container that small in the States.

It is typically packaged as 4 oz, 6 oz, or 8 oz. They had a 6 oz yogurt.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
Durain smell

'long dead cow' is close, but think long dead cow, in a garbage pile behind an old bar/pub that 12 drunk patrons have been sick on, the pile sitting in 40 degree summer heat... (sorry!)
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
...and even THAT's putting it mildly...

Originally Posted by Tony_B
'long dead cow' is close, but think long dead cow, in a garbage pile behind an old bar/pub that 12 drunk patrons have been sick on, the pile sitting in 40 degree summer heat... (sorry!)

though I love durian-flavored cream-filled confections. For some curious reason they have a deliciously subtle perfume, probably becasue the pastry chef uses a VERY llight hand when dealing with the fruit itself. Can't wait to try durians in north Thailand, in season...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I've never tasted durian myself but heard it described as eating custard in a latrine. Gotta be an acquired taste.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Durian is banned from most hotels. My in-laws are very cheap but will drive 3 hours to Canada so they can pay $40 for a durian, and other nasty looking fruit, then drive home. Most of the stuff in the U.S., including at Asian grocery stores, is either frozen or does not taste properly ripened.

Right after the airlines removed food from flights I wanted to bring a giant stinky onion grinder sandwich on board in protest of the removal.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
I have yet to see a yogurt container that small in the States.

It is typically packaged as 4 oz, 6 oz, or 8 oz. They had a 6 oz yogurt.
Yopliat's GoGurt is in 2.25oz tubes.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:05 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
Originally Posted by all168
If anyone open a fresh durian (not frozen) inside the airplane, I believe the plane will land right away 'cos people will complain about gas leak. Even I eat it at home, I want to hide it, 'cos I am afraid my neighbor will complain gas leak.
LOL

After all these talk about durian's bad smell, " gas leak" is probably the best way to describe it...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
As a former resident of Jakarta, I'll agree that durians aren't appealing in looks or smell...but they sure are delicious!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
brownies d'cannibus
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: CO plat, BR gold, SPG gold
There is precedent as to the adverse affects of durians on commercial aircraft with the crash of the 737-200, Mandala Air flight 91 in Medan Indonesia September 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala...nes_Flight_091

"It has been suggested that illegal overloading could be responsible for the aircraft's apparent inability to climb, but confirming this will be almost impossible given the intense fire produced and the presence of large amounts of debris from the houses which were destroyed; however, observers reported smelling the odour of the pungent fruit in the crash. It has been widely reported that the overloading was due to 2 or 3 tonnes of durian fruit brought by the Sumatran governor and former governor travelling on the flight intended as gifts to bring to Jakarta, and not listed on the flight's load manifest. The reports claimed that the governors had already been refused travel on Garuda, the national airline, because of the excess weight of the highly prized fruit, which were then in season in Sumatra."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.