Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Grown a beard - passport problem????

Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1k

My husband's grown a beard and he is clean shaven in his passport photo. We'll be going to FRA in the not too distant future. Do you think he'd have trouble in immigration with the beard? He'd rather not shave it but will if he has too. I think he's going to have to.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Probably not at all, they may look twice, but it shouldn't be a problem. It's what they do for a living, they will know it's the same person.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:37 pm
In memoriam

Wow! What faith in civil servants.

IMHO, it might be a good idea to carry a disposable razor and some shave cream.

To some folks, a beard means low-life scum--probable terrorist.

Yes, I do know that Abe Lincoln had a beard. ^

The problem is liable to be coming back. In Germany, a bearded guy can be an upstanding citizen. In the US of A ....
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Wow! What faith in civil servants.

IMHO, it might be a good idea to carry a disposable razor and some shave cream.

To some folks, a beard means low-life scum--probable terrorist.

Yes, I do know that Abe Lincoln had a beard. ^

The problem is liable to be coming back. In Germany, a bearded guy can be an upstanding citizen. In the US of A ....

He keeps it well trimmed and wears brioni suits. Just kidding about the suits. Actually, we did test it in the US. Just got back from puerto vallarta and they didn't bat an eye. The disposable razor option is a good idea though. If he has to, he can shave for the immigration agent - at his/her counter
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:05 pm

Not quite the same as a beard, but in a similar vein, I haven't cut my hair since June of 2005 (at which time it was quite short), and I've packed on about 30 pounds () since my driver license photo was taken in December of 2004 (with the very short hair). Have not had any sort of problem.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by rnocommuter
My husband's grown a beard and he is clean shaven in his passport photo. We'll be going to FRA in the not too distant future. Do you think he'd have trouble in immigration with the beard?
No, not unless it makes him look like one of the Mujahideen. Now, if YOU were to grow a beard then that may cause a problem.

Seriously though, I grew a beard and didn't get a blink from passport authorities in many different countries. If you are travelling within the EU on an EU passport then they probabably won't even look at the photo.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance. he's not going to shave^
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I sometimes travel with a friend who has an on-again, off-again thing with his beard. No one seems astounded to realize that a grown man sometimes may sprout a beard.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:45 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I shaved today (well, yesterday now) in anticipation of going to MEX tomorrow. My passport picture shows me clean shaven, and I had a beard... I'd rather not risk it with vacation starting on Thursday.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
In my last passport, which ran out in November, I had short back and sides and was clean shaven. In the last few years, post divorce , I've grown my hair considerably, have a greying beard and wear glasses.

Most officers looked twice, smiled, and made a comment like 'Yeah, that's you'. Female officers would normally follow that with a comment on which look they preferred. Thankfully it was mostly the newer one.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:17 am

My passport photo looks very different to me.

It is amazing how much you can change in quite a few years.

I'll either get one of two reactions when showing my passport to immigration. Either I get stamped into the country without any dramas or they'll look at the photo, look at me, look at the photo, look at me and/or make a comment "Is that really you?" or "Wow. How long ago was this photo taken?".

SIN agents are the funniest. They just about always have a funny comment about the photo.

Sometimes I'll pre-empt the second comment with a smile and a "yeah it's really me" comment if they're up to their third glance back and forth or staring too long.

Passport officers are trained to detect certain characteristics of people vs photos - things like the size/shape of nose, moles/freckles, the way the ears sit, eyebrow/eye shape etc. They shouldn't be worried about you looking exactly like your photo - if you did then it could arouse more suspicion for a passport that is supposedly old.

That's why it really isn't an issue. The worst thing that will happen is they'll spend a few minutes asking you some details to put their minds at ease.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
Now, if YOU were to grow a beard then that may cause a problem.
Why? (Remember, civilized countries have same-sex marriage these days.)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
My passport photo looks very different to me.

It is amazing how much you can change in quite a few years.

Passport officers are trained to detect certain characteristics of people vs photos - things like the size/shape of nose, moles/freckles, the way the ears sit, eyebrow/eye shape etc. They shouldn't be worried about you looking exactly like your photo - if you did then it could arouse more suspicion for a passport that is supposedly old.

That's why it really isn't an issue. The worst thing that will happen is they'll spend a few minutes asking you some details to put their minds at ease.
And don't forget, there's an old adage - "If you actually look like your passport photo, you're probably too sick to travel..."
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Obviously not either of the countries in question, but I just flew WLG-MEL with a beard (and blue paint), and nobody batted an eyelid. My passport photo shows me sans blue paint and the beard. I think it's not a terribly uncommon thing to have to deal with -- especially around, say, Movember.

My previous passport photo had me about 40lbs heavier and with a different hair color... THAT used to get second looks.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:24 am
Commander Catcop

I have gone through every extreme (goatee, beard and clean shaven - some of my friends don't like me clean shaven saying I look scarey. Thus I keep some hair in my face.)

Your facial hair may change but other things should not: eye color, head size, lips, nose (for the last two unless you have surgery.)

I've never had a problem in any country no matter how I look. Actually I look heavier in my passport foto and one UA agent in EWR said "You lost weight."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.