Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:33 pm

Thanks KVS for the detailed reply.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:10 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by KVS
None, unless you have provable damages.
So even emergency clothing, supplies, are not covered?

Further, I have subsequently found the contents of my baggage (both suitcases) to be water-affected inside. Have photographed same, and sending to SK.

Options?

TIA!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:04 pm

In 1999, I flew Air France from Atlanta to Germany to go to the Christmas markets. I had just moved to Raleigh, NC, but flew out of Atlanta since I had purchased the ticket before the unexpected move.

The flight to Germany went without a hitch. When I got back to Atlanta, my bags didn't. Air France wouldn't tell me what was going on, but an Asian male working for Delta (who handles Air France baggage in ATL) told me the luggage handlers in Paris had gone on strike and my bags were still in Paris. He was so polite and helpful. I wish I had flown Delta instead of Air France.

I asked Air France if they would reimburse my motel room if I stayed in a cheap motel like Motel 6, Travelodge, or Econolodge to wait on my bags. She said that they couldn't reimburse my motel since I was at my destination. I told her that I live in Raleigh, not Atlanta, and that there were Christmas presents that I had bought at Christmas markets in Germany that I was needing to take to my parents in Knoxville, TN. She said, "We don't have time for your sob story." I couldn't believe the stuff coming out of her mouth.

Anyway, I told her that either she could pay for a cheap motel (and that I was being really cool by only asking for a cheap one) or they could mail my luggage to me, which would be very expensive in comparison. She said they would mail it.

I went ahead and drove to Knoxville to visit my parents. I kept calling Air France over the next few days to check on my baggage. After a few days, the ladies answering the phone immediately recognized my southern accent. It was so funny. After a week or so, the luggage made it to Atlanta. The next day, I called and they said it was on one of their flights to Memphis. I asked why they were flying it to Memphis! They said, "You asked for us to send your luggage to Tennessee." I replied, "Yeah, but there's an airport in Knoxville. Besides, Atlanta was only 3 hours from Knoxville. Memphis is 9 hours away! Why not just fly them to Knoxville from Atlanta?" He replied, "Sir, we have to follow procedures."

A couple of days after that, my bags finally arrived.

The End
kthomas likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Well, those would be your damages then -- did you keep all the receipts?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
water

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Further, I have subsequently found the contents of my baggage (both suitcases) to be water-affected inside. Have photographed same, and sending to SK.

Options?

TIA!
hi,

SK has been very good in paying compensation to me.
i had a damaged suitcase and got my money for the new one .

if the baggage is not usable anymore you can get a new bag /suitcase.

if clothes or other items were affected and damaged the airline will pay up for your losses up to 1000XDR.

dp
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:15 pm

AVP - ATL - SVO (Delta): Stolen Henkels manicure kit - now what?

Hi all - i'm still searching for information on this but... my spouse bought me a very nice Henkel's manicure kit as a tenth anniversary gift. Of course we had to pack it in a checked bag on our return trip to Moscow. Got to Moscow and this manicure kit had been removed from our luggage.

I assume this was "taken" by a luggage screener in the Scranton / Wilkes-Barrre (I assume luggage that is checked through is not screened a 2nd time). What is my best course of action for recovery of the cost of this item and ensuring this is reported to the right leadership?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:04 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdgrier
What is my best course of action for recovery of the cost of this item and ensuring this is reported to the right leadership?
You should file a written claim, either by writing a letter or using the form at http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/bag_loss_claim.pdf

When was the flight?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
you have to inform them

Originally Posted by mdgrier
Hi all - i'm still searching for information on this but... my spouse bought me a very nice Henkel's manicure kit as a tenth anniversary gift. Of course we had to pack it in a checked bag on our return trip to Moscow. Got to Moscow and this manicure kit had been removed from our luggage.

I assume this was "taken" by a luggage screener in the Scranton / Wilkes-Barrre (I assume luggage that is checked through is not screened a 2nd time). What is my best course of action for recovery of the cost of this item and ensuring this is reported to the right leadership?
when you realize that something is missing.
the airline will than try to find out what happend and will pay compensation up to 1000XDR

dp
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 pm

Alitalia - lost luggage

Hi-

I was wondering/hoping someone might have some suggestions on dealing with Alitalia. On Oct. 20, I flew Alitalia from Venice to Rome (FCO) with a friend, we checked 3 bags, only 2 made it to Rome. I filed a PIR in Rome and followed up with phone calls and checked the lost and found area the next day, but had a flight back to the US and left Italy on Oct. 21 without my bag. I filed a claim with Alitalia in the US and have been calling their NY office weekly. Unfortunately, the only person I seem to be able to speak to is the receptionist, who is very nice, but can not provide any actual assistance. If I call the US customer service number, I get placed on hold for a half an hour and then disconnected. I have called Alitalia in Italy twice and was told the first time that I had picked up the bag myself on Oct. 24 (impossible as I left Italy 10/21) and was told the second time that the bag was on its way to the US - yet I still have no bag. I have been most recently told that Alitalia has 100 days to resolve my claim. Is there anything else I can do? I understand that FCO is a busy airport and that there are many flights from Venice, but does Italy have no tracking system? Nobody seems to know where my bag is and I get the feeling that no one is even looking for it. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Good thread! ^

I note that Australia was not initially a party to the Montreal Convention and may still not be. If not, in many cases, the Warsaw convention could apply.

While this thread deals very well with the Montreal Convention, in those cases where it does not apply and the Warsaw Convention may apply instead, what are the major differences in application and compensation?

(i.e. I see a Checked Baggage rate on 17 SDR per Kg)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:16 am
Original Poster

warsaw vs. montreal

hi,

good point.

if warsaw the airline will only compensate the amount of KGs x 17SDR around 25USD)

so if you have 40KG checked baggage x 25 usd = 1000usd compensation.

this was not good if you didnt have a lot baggage.

under the montreal convention you can check 10kg baggage and still get the 1000 XDR, it doesnt matter how many kgs you checked in.

dp
Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:11 am

Camera stolen on KLM Flight

This forum is amazing, thank you everyone for detailing your stories and giving advice.

I just got back to Paris from Kigali Rwanda to find my luggage (when I got home) ransacked inside and my camera gone. Probably stupid for putting it in there but was always encouraged to because of the 1 carry-on rule and having a fairly large camera bag to take as well...

KLM says they won't reimburse but I'm seeing some posts on here of people stressing Montreal Convention stuff to the airlines and getting reimbursement in the end. Anyone have any advice on how I can pursue this? I have an initial response from KLM in France and want to write back but quote good, strong things from different laws if it's going to help.

The camera is insured against theft but with a $200 deductible. If I can't get fully reimbursed from the airlines hopefully I can at least get that back. Also, the tickets were purchased on a Capital One Miles card, any idea if that has any baggage insurance on it?

Thanks in advance for any help. And yes, I've learned my lesson to never put my camera or anything of value (monetary or sentimental!) in my checked luggage. As if traveling these days wasn't disagreeable enough...
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Will LH also pay for damage to the bag itself rather than just to its contents? The contents of my bag were fine, but the wheel was missing when they delivered it to my house. The bag is now unusable. Can I just buy another bag and send them the receipt for it?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:48 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Will LH also pay for damage to the bag itself rather than just to its contents? The contents of my bag were fine, but the wheel was missing when they delivered it to my house. The bag is now unusable. Can I just buy another bag and send them the receipt for it?
If the bag is unrepairable (and you can prove it), then yes, you can go ahead and purchase a replacement. However, if it is, then you would first need to give LH a reasonable opportunity to repair the damaged bag.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by KVS
If the bag is unrepairable (and you can prove it), then yes, you can go ahead and purchase a replacement. However, if it is, then you would first need to give LH a reasonable opportunity to repair the damaged bag.
And you would also have to give them notice within a stipulated period. (soon after it was delivered)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.