The most expensive public transport journey in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The most expensive public transport journey in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've taken some expensive transit options to/from far-flung airports (NRT comes to mind), but this thread seems to be more about purely intra-city transit.
The Flytoget airport shuttle in Oslo is right up there -- about a 15-minute ride for the equivalent of USD$20+.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Better yet, London buses will no longer take cash fares. What do tourists do?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Better yet, London buses will no longer take cash fares. What do tourists do?
Use their Oyster cards or paper travel cards that they are using for the tube? I rode buses in London and didn't use cash.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
They should really encourage tourists to get an Oyster card and not make it seem like such an issue or that it's a commuter only thing. It's 3 GBP that pays itself back in like one/two trips.

And I always think a local travel card makes a nice souvenir of a city anyway :-)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Plus, the buses do accept NFC payment - plenty of that around the world (though not always usable abroad...)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
The Flytoget airport shuttle in Oslo is right up there -- about a 15-minute ride for the equivalent of USD$20+.
Actually,not 20,but 30
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ryanbryan
They should really encourage tourists to get an Oyster card and not make it seem like such an issue or that it's a commuter only thing. It's 3 GBP that pays itself back in like one/two trips.

And I always think a local travel card makes a nice souvenir of a city anyway :-)
What would make the card more appealing to tourists would be a means to register an Oyster card from outside the country. The system requires a UK postal code and phone number.

They are a nice souvenir and the balance stays on the card indefinitely. I've got three of them including one from the first year they were issued. The subsequent ones were picked up when I'd forgotten the others.

I'm back in London later this month so I'll probably return a couple of them after I've run down the balances.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've read how expensive the LHR transport is...goes hand in hand I guess. Expensive to land at/transit through/get away from...yet I still wanna go there and check it out for sure.

I think my most expensive trip was JFK-EWR. I landed at JFK off of an overnight Cathay flight from YVR at about 5:30am or so. Asked the friendly transportation desk peeps what's the best/most cost effective way to get to EWR because my hotel was there as was my return flight. She said there's basically 3 options, 1) taxi but that's not cost effective 2) shuttlebus @ around $22 and decent speed 3) public transit which might take a bit longer but should be cheaper.

I'm adventurous and I wasn't in a hurry (other than I was tired) so I decided to try and be frugal and take transit. So it was JFK airtram (or whatever name it is) to New York Penn. I think that was like $12 or so, then it was a NJ transit to Newark airport station, another $10.50 or whatever.

In the end it cost me like .50 cents more to take transit and took a good 45-50 minutes more...learned my lesson. Whenever I'm in NY or that area now, it's the blue shuttle van I'll be choosing.
The ground transportation agent did not provide you with all of the options.

It is possible to get from JFK to EWR for about $7 via public transport, but that route could take up to three hours.

Going via EWR AirTrain/Long Island Rail Road/NJ Transit/EWR AirTrain will not necessarily be slower than taking the bus. And you can cut the cost of that route in half (roughly) by substituting the "E" subway train for the LIRR from Jamaica to Manhattan's Penn Station, and by substituting NJ Transit's #62 bus from Newark Penn Station to EWR for the EWR AirTrain.

You can find the various options described in the FT Wiki, which can also be accessed at http://www.flyerguide.com.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Oyster card ........ They are a nice souvenir and the balance stays on the card indefinitely. I've got three of them including one from the first year they were issued. The subsequent ones were picked up when I'd forgotten the others.

I'm back in London later this month so I'll probably return a couple of them after I've run down the balances.
The current amount of Oyster balances on cards not used for more than 12 months is now well above £50m. It's an interesting accounting issue for TfL as to when they write off the outstanding amount in their accounts and do something useful with it. The cards will continue to be acceptable, theoretically for ever, but much of the value here will never actually be used.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:17 pm

Melbourne's public transport system could be one of the most expensive for a visitor wanting a single ride.

They don't sell single cash fares and you have to buy a "myki" card for $14 with $6 of that being non-refundable, whatever's left of the $8 balance is refundable but the real kicker is that it's only refundable by cheque or transfer to another Myki account (absolutely useless for any visitor.) And oh, it has an expiry of three years too. A single Zone 1+Zone 2 ride could top $10 for the visitor because of this daft system.

I don't think I've ever ran into such an visitor-unfriendly transit system in the whole world as MEL.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by WHBM
The current amount of Oyster balances on cards not used for more than 12 months is now well above £50m. It's an interesting accounting issue for TfL as to when they write off the outstanding amount in their accounts and do something useful with it. The cards will continue to be acceptable, theoretically for ever, but much of the value here will never actually be used.
That's very interesting, that £50m figure. I get back to London once or twice a year and the Oyster system works perfectly for me... my card(s) usually have £5 or £10 left on there, and I top them up at my first Tube stop. I never feel I lose any value. NYC Transit Metrocards, on the other hand, expire one year after issuance.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"NYC Transit Metrocards, on the other hand, expire one year after issuance."

While Metrocards do expire, the remaining balance (if any) on an expired card can be transferred to a new card -- without charge -- for up to two years after expiration:

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/problems.htm

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 6, 2014 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've read how expensive the LHR transport is...goes hand in hand I guess. Expensive to land at/transit through/get away from...yet I still wanna go there and check it out for sure.
Did you take the train from NYP to Newark Penn or Newark Airport? NJT tacks on an extra $5 (I think) to the ticket price to Newark Airport to pay for the Airtrain that carries you to EWR terminals.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
At half the price than the London example
Stockholm tunnelbana: The shortest distance between 2 stations that I found with a quick search is 0,4 miles (For example between Slussen and Mariatorget) with the cost of the single paper ticket at 36 SEK (just over £3 today)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Staying in Stockholm, Arlanda Express is more expensive than both Heathrow and Oslo, one-way is 260 SEK (28 EUR/22 GBP/38 USD) if bought ahead of the journey, onboard price is 360 SEK (39 EUR/31 GBP/52 USD). Journey time 20 minutes.

As a comparison, Flytoget in Oslo one-way is 170 NOK (21 EUR). Heathrow Express one-way is 21 GBP (ticket machine/online/ticket desk) or 26 GBP (onboard).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.