Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sinus Pain? More like an Icepick in my Head..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

There's another thread posted here on the forums that is exactly in-line with this subject, but given the fact that it's over 5 years old I thought it best to let the sleeping dog lie and re-open the subject with just a link to the thread.

Here's the link to the thread I am referring to: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4472

The pain that this article is not your average run-of-the-mill discomfort. On a scale of 1-10, this is a solid 9.0 just below burning to death or some grisly painful exit. Imagine the person in the seat next to you taking a 6-inch icepick and driving it into your forehead just above your eye and twisting it around. Yes, it's that bad. I've searched the Internet and medical texts, and even gone so far as to seek professional medical care for it.. all came up dry. That is, until I found this thread here (linked above).

Interestingly enough, the first time I experienced this condition (not including forgotten childhood experiences) was not in an aircraft, but in a car traveling from the Ventura County area to the Bakersfield flatlands. As we drove down the hill leaving the Tejon pass into Bakersfield, a very sharp pain interrupted our relaxing drive, and began to hurt so bad that tears began streaming down my face as I pulled the car off the road. It was excruciating, and the remnants of it lasted for days afterwards.

Last week my family and I embarked on a trip to Newark on an American Airlines B757-200. With my fearful-flying wife, my 2 year old kid and I, it was bound to be a “fun” experience. Sure enough, as the plane began it's descent into the New York airspace, that pain began to creep into my forehead. One minute into the start of it, I had my face buried into my hands screaming inside for the pain to stop and begging for mercy. Embarrassed, I had my head turned towards the window with tears streaming down my face all the while my kid screaming in pain from not being able to pop her ears and my fearful wife trying to look after both of us while she dealt with her own terror. When we landed, it was gone in about 2 hours – much to my relief.

Not ready to deal with that again, I made sure to take Tylenol Cold & Sinus 2 hours before departure, and again 2 hours before landing. However, as the 757 neared the Los Angeles area, it began descending for KLAX and that pain –this time above my left eye-- began to sear. It hurt worse than anything I've ever felt before, and I'm a grown man whose flown many times in the past and recently. I honestly wondered if it was going to cause some sort of damage to my brain. It got a tiny bit better as we neared touchdown, but unlike landing in Newark I am still feeling the dull aching pressure even as I pen this post a day later. To my loving wife, thank you for overcoming your fear to give me some reassurance that my head was still attached and my eye was still in its socket. I love you, baby.

For those of you who have felt this sharp, excruciating pain you know exactly how bad it is. My sympathies. I cannot imagine how bad childbirth must feel, but as a man I believe this is as close as I will ever get to understanding.

How many of you still are experiencing this condition? Any hot-shot remedies? Tylenol Cold and Sinus didn't work at all and I'm dying to get rid of the pressure remaining from last night's flight (and the associated dizziness that's followed).
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:56 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
I have had allergies all my life and have experienced this type of pain on numerous occasions during takeoff and landing. What I found works best for me was a combination of Allegra, which is a prescription allergy medicine, and a couple advil. I've never had a problem when taking the two even if I have a severe head cold.

If you can't get your doctor to prescribe Allegra, I would try Claritin D, it's over the counter.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, UA Premier, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrSkyGuy
I had my head turned towards the window with tears streaming down my face
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago as we descended into ORD. The ice pick feeling couldn't be more on, I had tears running down my face, I thought something was really wrong. I was doing a quick segment run so I experienced the same thing about 3 hours later as we came back to MSP. I've researched and cannot find what causes it???
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
MrSkyGuy,

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Appreciate you not dredging up the ancient thread. It does make sense to start a new one on the subject.

Back in '01 there were quite a few less forums, and MilesBuzz was more of a catch-all location. In the interim these types of threads have found their way mostly to "TravelBuzz", which is for non mileage or points related travel talk. I'll move your new thread there.

Moderator2/Craig6z

Last edited by Moderator2; Jan 2, 2007 at 9:14 pm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

With this thread and the other thread linked in the topic-starter, I am releived to know that Im not alone in this suffering. At the recommendation of a few friends of mine and the encouragement of others, I've popped a Sudafed Cold & Sinus.

Here's hoping it relieves this pressure. Anyone else have this problem/cure?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

MrSkyGuy-- sorry for your pain. There was a recent topic on TravelBuzz which dealt with this issue. I am going to try to merge the threads.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:53 pm
Suspended

It's sinuses. Basically, you're the telltale reason why people don't go diving with a cold. The change in pressure causes the pain. Your sinuses have one pressure and the air around you has another. They don't get equalized and that's what causes you pain.

I'm not sure what is causing your congestion, but talk to a doctor or travel doctor about it. People here have suggested allegra. That's great if you have actual allergies, but it doesn't treat the actual congestion. It moreso goes after the antihistamines in your blood. You're better off taking something like actifed. It dries up your mucous membranes. Stay away from mixing different allergy medicines too. You could end up with a headache making you cry as well.

Long story short though, ask us here about upgrades, seat assignments, etc, and leave things like this to medical professionals. Talk to a doctor about this and chat with a pharmacist about the drugs you get.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Sadly, my attempt to merge the "sinus" threads failed.
For more info, please follow this thread--
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63907
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I had this a couple of weeks ago coming into SYD. The pain was really terrible and lasted for 3 or 4 hours afterwards I tried everything to clear my ears but they just wouldn't pop. I didnt even think my sinuses were blocked but I had been in an extremely cold hotel room so they may have contracted. It was the first time in a long time I had had any probs with my sinuses but it felt like daggers going through my head. Sudafed or some other pseudoephidrine based drug should fix it.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:18 pm

I've had this happen three times. All of the above symptoms and then bloody snot afterward as well. Once the pain was above the eye (frontal sinus) and twice below the eye and into the top teeth (maxillary sinus).

I have allergies and have had nasal polyps. I've flown while congested or while getting over colds many times without it happening. Totally unpredictable.

Sudafed is key. I now take it liberally when I fly if I am the least bit congested. Afrin nasal spray, too. I fear my methods are not infallible, though.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:25 pm

Mr. Skyguy,

I have had this happen quite alot in the past, up until a few years ago...

A flight attendant was passing by the aisle, we were just starting our descent, while I was in severe pain, she saw my face, I was litterally out of it, I wanted to DIE it hurt so much. Poor hubby didn't know what to do with me, I had my head in both hands and kept saying to hubby "je suis plus capable" ("I can't go on"). I think this has been my worst case, I really thought something was going to explode in my head!

The FA immediately went into the galley and came out with 2 styrofoam cups loaded with steaming HOT wet towels, she then told me to place them over my ears and keep them there until we land. I did this and it worked! To my amazement!

I really don't care if I look like a funny bunny with white cups over my ears, forget about the looks I get from the surrounding pax, heck I want RELIEF! And believe me it brings this immediately. But you need to do this the moment the descent starts, don't wait or its too late...

I don't know why this works, but it must dialate the ears or something, call it science or whatever but I call it pure magic!

Do try it... for your sake..
Best of luck! Happy new year! Or should I say happy new ear? No pun intended!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by MrSkyGuy
For those of you who have felt this sharp, excruciating pain you know exactly how bad it is. My sympathies. I cannot imagine how bad childbirth must feel, but as a man I believe this is as close as I will ever get to understanding.

How many of you still are experiencing this condition? Any hot-shot remedies? Tylenol Cold and Sinus didn't work at all and I'm dying to get rid of the pressure remaining from last night's flight (and the associated dizziness that's followed).
Well, I've had major sinus problems, including ear drum ruptures over the Atlantic, and I've done childbirth, and frankly I think it may be a toss-up as to which is worse.

Pain relief remedies that don't involve the doctor: heat a pan of water on the stove until just barely steaming - not boiling - and lean over the pan and inhale steam. Do this for about 5 minutes on, 5 off, for a couple repetitions.

Drink large quantities of warm, non/low caffeine beverages, such as hot cider, herbal tea or cocoa. The warm liquid is more effective at thinning the mucus and helping your head drain. Avoid the caffeine here, as it can be too drying, especially in large quantities.

Warm, wet towels across the forehead and cheeks can be helpful if you can't do the steam inhalations.

And before you fly again - see an ENT or allergist to figure out the cause of your pain attacks.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:23 am

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I always take a Rx medication called Entex when I fly (unless I'm in great helth and it's less than a 2 hour flight) and drink at least 6 oz of water per hour that I fly as I tend to get sinus infections. This has helped a lot. (And, yes, I always ask for an aisle seat, as I'll be making a few pit stops due to all that water!)

Don't discount the need to take water with a lot of these medications (advil, etc.) Also, cut down on things that will dehydrate you - salty food, coffee, alcohol.

When things get really bad, a cup of tea or hot water with lemon or even a hot compress can make a big difference in opening up the sinuses and can be done on board. (If it's a long 7 hour+ flight, I often throw an old, clean washcloth in my carry-on for the hot compress.) It may seem slightly strange to non-frequent flyers, but it's better than a burst ear drum or intense pain or another dose of antibiotics.

By the way, if the pain persists, you deifinitely need to go to the doctor. You also won't necessarily feel bad anywhere else - no fever or flu. Since it'll take a few days for a bad infection to clear up, don't hesitate, as it could be worse on the return flight!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:30 am

I flew with a very slight cold last year and experienced the same horrible pain you all described, but in my ears. The day after my trip I went to the ENT who said I had ruptured the blood vessles in my ear. He told me to use Afrin nasal spray on future trips should I have any congestion. To my dismay, one of my ears hasn't been the same since despite the doctor's reassurance that there would be no permanent damage.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
The first time I experienced it, I thought I was going to DIE. I was flying JFK-SIN and it hit me on the descent into the FRA stopover. The pain really took a lot out of me, and I asked to stay on the plane during transit - I basically sat immobile in my seat, trying to let my body recover from the experience. I was really nervous on the descent into Singapore, and sure enough, it hit me again.

I experienced this over a 2-3 year period where I flew long-haul between SIN and JFK about 3-4 times. It was really horrible, and I didn't really know how to describe the stabbing pain to a doctor, and wasn't flying often enough to be really affected by it. Thankfully it went away as mysteriously as it started, and I haven't experienced that in more than a decade. But even now, I still brace myself for it when the plane descends... It's a blessing that I don't experience it anymore as I travel so frequently now, it would be debilitating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.