Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Airlines has the oldest and most rundown planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Airlines has the oldest and most rundown planes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lihue1k
Their interisland fleet is all 30+ year old 737-200's.

After the 'sunroof' incident they went through and added a few hundred rivets and some external "shielding" to hold the things together. It's easy to take aircraft safety for granted until you've ridden on one of these bulletproof wonders.

You knew exactly how bad it was a few years ago when they got all excited about getting some 'new' -200's into the fleet. These ended up being someone elses very tired hulls which were still ~25 years old.

Lihue1k
While I don't disagree that AQ may have one of the oldest fleets, the post sunroof safety/maintenance procedures are a bit more complex than that. They retire aircraft after X number of airframe cycles (each pressurization and depressurization of the cabin) The number is far fewer than the number of cycles on the sunroof aircraft. It's a losing battle as AQ is continually trying to find these old 200's all over the world to bring over that have few enough cycles to make it worthwhile to setup as AQ aircraft. I'd venture to say that had go! not come over in june that AQ would have made a bigger effort to talk about making a fleet change by now but are currently too busy losing their butts with the fare wars. However I have heard that they have been talking with a couple of aircraft manufacturers. I'll take my chances in a 30 year old airplane over a 350 flighthour wonder co-pilot anyday(or just fly HA's 717).
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some sample fleet ages in years from airfleets.net

38.0 Aviandina
37.8 Earth Airlines
37.4 Facts Air
37.3 Grand Air
37.2 Avant Airlines
36.7 ATA Brasil
36.6 Cardig Air Cargo
36.3 Iran Air Force (5 @ 747-100)
36.1 Nuevo Continente
34.5 Air Gulf Falcon
33.9 Inter Air
33.5 PMT Air
33.4 Kabo Air
33.1 RPX Airlines
32.5 TAF Linhas Aereas
32.3 Avient
32.3 Servivensa
32.2 Palmair
31.8 Ameristar
31.8 Orange Air
31.8 Silver Air
31.6 North East Airlines
31.6 Thai Sky Airlines
31.4 Saha Airlines
31.3 Aerosucre Colombia
31.3 Celios del Peru
31.2 Evergreen Int
31.1 Nasa
31.1 OzJet
30.9 Master Top Linhas Aereas
30.8 Tramon Air
30.6 Venezualan Air Force (1 @ 737-200)
30.5 Air Philippines
30.3 Logistic Air
30.0 Buraq Air Transport
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Of the U.S. majors, Northwest *used* to have it hands down back when delaying the refleeting was a well-known cost-saving measure, but they're finally biting the bullet.

The original ValuJet was mostly hand-me-downs from Turkish Airlines, with the Turkish Airlines plates still visible on the service carts. That airline became the all-time warning against corner-cutting on everything, though Wall Street loved it for a time.

Of those I've flown, Lao Aviation had to be scariest, followed by Royal Nepal domestic service.

I wonder if Delta still has that "Spirit of Delta" plane in service. Seems like that one would be getting long in the tooth.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
I wonder if Delta still has that "Spirit of Delta" plane in service. Seems like that one would be getting long in the tooth.
Nope, they recently retired it along with the rest of the 767-200s. They also finally retired their 737-200s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.