Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Using a Bathroom in a Plane

Using a Bathroom in a Plane

Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:13 pm

Im very suprised to read how many of you disapprove of the aircraft lavatories. True, they are the smallest possible water closet you might imagine, but to a 6'0" guy like me with extra-long legs and arms the loo can be a releiving place to stand up and take the load off my butt.

Case in point, I'd been keeping my 2-year old daughter busy on the LAX-EWR-LAX AAL B752 (a small, uncomfortable aircraft however noteworthly her performance is for the flight crew) and the lav was a great place to enjoy some peace and quiet standing up without enduring the stares of 100 eyes.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:57 pm

I don't think I have ever "sat" in an airplane bathroom, including my long hauls. It would have to be fairly urgent for me to want to use it. Though I will say the Lav on LH F was pretty nice.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl94
I'm not a doc-but this can't be good for you...reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode where George didn't go to the bathroom the whole time he was in India.
Yeah, I think I would rather just wear diapers. Is it strange that I never understood why George was funny? Seemed pretty normal to me. (Just kidding)
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:07 pm

I try to avoid the lav on short haul flights, but on trans-pacific flights to Japan and beyond there is simply no avoiding them. I don't feel the least bit claustrophobic however, if anything the lav probably offers more personal private space than anywhere else on the plane (unless you fly business or first). Where else can you drop your pants and do anything you wish without having to worry about other passengers around you.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
My husband and I have a joke that my bladder must shrink up to nothing the moment I get on an airplane.

On any normal day, I can go for hours without having to use the bathroom, but the moment a plane takes off - even though I used the ladies room in the airport - I need to visit the lav and have to continously all through the flight. Usually about every hour to hour and a half.
The most embarrassing is when I come back from from a trip to the lav, sit in my seat and have to go again 30 seconds later. I hate that!

Yes, I always request an aisle seat!

BTW...Men, you're not at home. Please, put the seat down when you're finished!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm guessing most of what you pick up on your feet will not attack your skin or your body through your skin. It probably washes off in your next shower. I'd be squeamish about it, but it's probably not too unsafe.
It's only fecal matter, easily washed off. But check your shoes after.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
It's only fecal matter, easily washed off. But check your shoes after.
I was on a commuter plane a few months ago that was filled with a young group of boys (7-9 years old?). I was lucky enough to use the restroom after a few of the boys had used it. (I couldn't hold it anymore -- a tight connection didn't allow me time to use the restroom in the terminal). These boys had to have had the worst aim possible, the restroom floor was covered in urine and the whole place reeked. I was desperate but was also wearing very long pants with my 3" heels. I tried to cover the floor with papertowels to absorb some of the moisture and then had to keep my pants hiked to my knees (to keep them from touching the floor) while trying not to touch anything near the toilet with any part of my body. It was painful but thankfully, I believe the only contaminated part of me when I left the restroom was the soles of my shoes. It was disgusting.

I still don't understand how anyone can walk in a public restroom in their barefeet!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I too avoid them, and frequently fly LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX without using one at all. I can't understand how some just have to go on a 90 minute flight. I'll take a regular bathroom any day.
Agreed. To date I have avoided ever having to use one and I won't unless stricken with explosive diarrhea.

Just like when I was poor and rode the greyhound I never even thought about using their bathrooms on the bus.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cricketdog
.......I still don't understand how anyone can walk in a public restroom in their barefeet!
yet the sheep remove their shoes when gong thru the tsa security checkpoints
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
On a plane:
Number 1 Yes no problem
Number 2 No way!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by alanh
As for bare feet, I might get disgusted by proxy, but nothing they track in on their bare feet is going to affect me any more than the stuff tracked in on shoes.
Eww. They're the same feet that have gone bare-footed through the check point, so if I were you, I'd be disgusted and worried, and walk in with my shoes on....or lay down the blanket that are left on the seats :-p

Last edited by New-Flyer; Jan 5, 2007 at 4:56 am
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:07 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
Airport

At the airport is much better than in the air.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Originally Posted by marsel
my feeling exactly! some of them are pretty extreme huh!

and leaves me wondering how the thing actually works? why the meganoise, and how is it all then unloaded? (grateful for any info link or somethin )
The meganoise is from the flow caused by pressure differences. The larger the difference, the ouder the noise.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Slightly realted to the topic.

Can someone please explain to me why people use the lav in their stocking feet or worse yet barefoot?! Now that grosses me out every time I see it (especially on a domestic U.S. flight)
I find that incomprehensible too. Even with shoes on I feel gross sometiems when I I have to step on the floor, knowing that I walk into my house with the same shoes.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Knoppix
I find that incomprehensible too. Even with shoes on I feel gross sometiems when I I have to step on the floor, knowing that I walk into my house with the same shoes.
Do what I do, don't wear shoes in the house. Shoes are taken off before anyone enters my house. So nothing gross gets tracked in.

Oh and when I have something delivered, I lay down old sheets so they don't touch my floors/carpets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.