Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My mom washed my passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I flew through sea this week on my way back from asia. I had a long 14 hour layover so I visited with my parents. When I got to their house my mother being mom wanted to do my carryon laundry. I told her not to worry that I would just do it myself or take it to the cleaners when I got home. While I was asleep she decided to do my laundry including my jeans which had my brand new passport with 48 pages which I got in November. The passport has dried out and everything looks okay. There are not smudges or anything but the cover is seperating from the first page which has my photo on it. It looks kinda cool - weathered and maybe the water messed up the rfid chip. anyway, should I get another or keep this one?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
I did the same thing about 10 years ago and recall that all the stamps still had some color to it, though not completely legible.

Pre-9/11, it was never a problem for me and it expired in 2001. I wouldn't bother getting another one.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:14 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Best title I've read for a post in quite a while!

I'd be interested to learn if/how the RFID was affected.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:15 pm

Your passport will now be treated as very suspicious by most immigration agents who see it. "Washing" passports can be used to help hide changes to the data pages or to remove stamps that you would prefer that immigration doesn't see.

Best you get it replaced (the passport, not your Mother!)
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Can I bring my laundry to your mom?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Can I bring my laundry to your mom?
Just remember to remove your passport from your pockets.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:48 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Generally RFIDs survive pretty harsh conditions. they dont break that easily
unless physically destroyed...

In OPs case.. I'd see if I can get a replacement passport.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
RFID was (most likely) not affected, because it's a passive sensor.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Your passport will now be treated as very suspicious by most immigration agents who see it. "Washing" passports can be used to help hide changes to the data pages or to remove stamps that you would prefer that immigration doesn't see.

Best you get it replaced (the passport, not your Mother!)
I second this comment. I've gotten strange looks with a passport that got hit with a little rain. Better safe than sorry. Get it replaced.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
I didn't need my mom to do this......I do my own laundry "and" the wifes, but still........excrement occurs....heh.

I managed to wash my passport a year ago, and since I have been thru the US about a dozen times and other countries 4-5 times, never had any immigration issues at all, as the page they scan works just fine.

Does kinda look cool too....weathered......
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:30 pm

Before opening, and looking at the just at the thread title, I thought we might be in for another episode of greenery TV
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I also once washed my own passport. Then I dried it. The iron found it.

I brought it to the consulate in Johannesburg and they laughed. It was pretty much a waste; while everything was still legible and readable, it looked so suspicious as to be considered unacceptable. Many pages had torn and easily tore with even light handeling, ink had run and/or faded, the cover was pealing, it was a mess.

I received a new one within two days (the old style where they paste the photo into the second page), and the last page has a big stamp stating "This is a replacement for a mutilated passport."
Old Sep 29, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
I just did this today...I don't travel internationally for 2 months so I'm right at the 2 month cutoff...

The front page is separating and covered with lots of blue dots, but everything is legible...that being said I will probably get it replaced.

However, I have a Brazilian Visa that's good for a few more years...how do I go about getting that transfered? Can I?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: Advantage, United, Krisflyer, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai
Originally Posted by DukieDrew
I just did this today...I don't travel internationally for 2 months so I'm right at the 2 month cutoff...

The front page is separating and covered with lots of blue dots, but everything is legible...that being said I will probably get it replaced.

However, I have a Brazilian Visa that's good for a few more years...how do I go about getting that transfered? Can I?
I have a similar question, with a passport that has not been washed, but due to expire in a few months. The 5 year Brasil business stamp is in the original passport. How does that transfer to the new passport for the remaining 2.5 years?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just carry the old passport with the new and show it to the Brazilians when entering the country, they'll accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.