Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If US citizens can't smoke Dutch pot, are they allowed to eat whale meat in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If US citizens can't smoke Dutch pot, are they allowed to eat whale meat in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:03 am
pizzamiles

I was reading old threads of how some people were asked if they smoked marijuana upon returning to the US... I got no problems with that... I don't believe in drugs... If someone entering the US appears to be still under the influence of Dutch pot, I guess the customs officers should have the right to send them on the next connecting to Gitmo... (but that's a whole other issue)

My real question is regarding the consumption of whale meat while visiting Japan. The last time I was there, I was treated to this "delicacy" and frankly I didn't like it. I did take a bunch of pictures of the restaurant and the whale meat cusine. If for some reason the customs officer sees while inspecting my carry-on and ask "did you eat whale meat?"... what should my response be? I'm assuming that it is illegal to carry whale meat(or any kind of meat) into the US... but what about the ones that I'm still digesting inside my body, from the previous night in Japan?

Just wondering.... on a boring work day...(then again, better than a busy work day )

Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
You didn't read that thread fully. They can ask whatever the hell they want, it doesn't make smoking Dutch pot or any other pot outside the US illegal for US citizens. There are very few crimes (an example of one is Sex Tourism) that are punishable if committed outside the US. Neither smoking pot/cannabis nor eating whale meat falls into this category.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by pizzamiles
I don't believe in drugs...
I can say from experience that drugs do exist.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
If someone entering the US appears to be still under the influence of Dutch pot, I guess the customs officers should have the right to send them on the next connecting to Gitmo... (but that's a whole other issue)
If someone steps off a flight after several hours still high, I want me some of that Dutch pot!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:48 am
MeNoSay

I don't believe in whales. Gitmo with you.

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
you can test for drugs consumed (a la singapore) but type of meat? good luck with that, i ate shark fin soup while in china
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
They serve whale in Iceland, too!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:13 am
pizzamiles

Originally Posted by xyzzy
They serve whale in Iceland, too!
That's cool.... (or is everything in Iceland "cool"? )

I only tried the whale meat in Japan because I wasn't the one paying the 30,000 yen tab. (also because I was forced to read Moby Dick back in high school in the '60s?)

After having the whale mean shabu-shabu style, I really can't understand why some Japanese love the stuff... it tasted like any other meat to me...

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: CO plat, BR gold, SPG gold
It prolly all depends on who's in charge of the government at the moment. If the republicans are in charge, eating whale meat is probably just fine but smoking Dutch weed may get you rendited off to Guantanamo. Once the Democrats assume power, smoking Dutch weed will probably be just fine if not encouraged but eating whale meat will prolly get you rendited over to the custody of Greenpeace for “reeducation”.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I think I would have to smoke alot of dutch pot to wanna try whale meat.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by USDHS1984
It prolly all depends on who's in charge of the government at the moment. If the republicans are in charge, eating whale meat is probably just fine but smoking Dutch weed may get you rendited off to Guantanamo. Once the Democrats assume power, smoking Dutch weed will probably be just fine if not encouraged but eating whale meat will prolly get you rendited over to the custody of Greenpeace for “reeducation”.
And now Sex Tourism will get you an atta boy from either party!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:45 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
(also because I was forced to read Moby Dick back in high school in the '60s?)

For many years at school, I thought "Moby Dick" was a Sexually Transmitted Disease.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
If someone steps off a flight after several hours still high, I want me some of that Dutch pot!
We were yacking with our local friendly security officer and one of the new kids (ha! 25) asked what would happen were she to go to Amsterdam and smoke a few bowls? He was actually pretty cool about it. He said there probably wouldn't be any ramifications since it's legal and we haven't had a "random" drug test in years...but the bottom line: Prove it. Prove that were you to pop positive that the drugs in question were consumed legaly over there and not when you got back home...
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jonesing
We were yacking with our local friendly security officer and one of the new kids (ha! 25) asked what would happen were she to go to Amsterdam and smoke a few bowls? He was actually pretty cool about it. He said there probably wouldn't be any ramifications since it's legal and we haven't had a "random" drug test in years...but the bottom line: Prove it. Prove that were you to pop positive that the drugs in question were consumed legaly over there and not when you got back home...
I didn't think most drug tests had anothing to do with legality. I mean, some employers test for excessive alcohol usage too and there is nothing illegal about that.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:22 am
pizzamiles

Originally Posted by jonesing
And now Sex Tourism will get you an atta boy from either party!
Is "boy" the keyword in that statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.