Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:54 pm

OP - Thanks for sharing this, and I'm glad you're well.

This is something that can easily happen, and you handled it well. By sharing the experience, you've made us all a little more aware, and a bit more cautious.

I hope that you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by uproared
A similar thing happened to me when I was in London earlier this year. My friends had just left, so I was alone in the city for the evening. I booked a movie, but it didn't start for a couple of hours so I took refuge in the only place open -- an "entertainment venue" of sorts (read: topless bar).

Anyway, paid the 5 pounds and went downstairs. A woman greeted me and started talking to me on the couch about world affairs, etc. (I was happy to listen as I had nothing better to do) -- I declined a drink, etc. as I was only really interested in staying out of the blistering cold for an hour or so.

About 20 minutes into the conversation another lady comes in with a bill for $2000 pounds. Having never been scammed before, it took me roughly 20 seconds to realise what was going on. I got up to leave, only to find a very big bouncer standing in the stairway and noticed they had pulled down the security door, essentially closing the venue off.

Long story short, things got nasty for a while, they demanded everything I owned, etc. -- I tried using my cellphone to phone the police but they kept grabbing for it, disconnecting my phonecall. They also told me that if I called the police they would say I assaulted one of them, and one of the girls was already grabbing her own wrists to create bruisemarks, etc. Ended up getting in the face of the muscle and he eventually backed down and let me out...Thankfully there was only 1 'muscle' there and no weapons were brought out, otherwise my physical approach wouldn't have been as successful .
A man was not so lucky last month. After disputing the charges at an adult entertainment establishment, the 180 lb man was sat upon by 690 lbs of "muscle", and he perished:
http://www.independent.com/news/2006..._violence.html

Short follow-up:
http://www.independent.com/news/2006...isorder_2.html
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by uproared
A similar thing happened to me when I was in London earlier this year. My friends had just left, so I was alone in the city for the evening. I booked a movie, but it didn't start for a couple of hours so I took refuge in the only place open -- an "entertainment venue" of sorts (read: topless bar).

Anyway, paid the 5 pounds and went downstairs. A woman greeted me and started talking to me on the couch about world affairs, etc. (I was happy to listen as I had nothing better to do) -- I declined a drink, etc. as I was only really interested in staying out of the blistering cold for an hour or so.

I think I went into the same place (or similar) the first time I was in London. 5 pounds entry. When I got down into the basement, I started getting very bad vibes, and asked for a price list for drinks. They acted like they didn't have one, acting evasive, so I said, no thanks, and off I went.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:12 pm

Thanks to the OP for sharing the story and reminding everyone to be careful, glad that the OP is (relatively) unscathed.

May I ask, what is the Beijing tea scam?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
May I ask, what is the Beijing tea scam?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586966
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:33 pm

The people who pull these scams are professionals who have pulled the scam many times before,so if your singled out by them and end up losing $$$$ don't beat your self up about it.Count it as a lesson learned and move on.I was scammed on two occasions (slow learner) by money changers.And was so disturbed by the first con in Budapest that I did leave the country,I felt later that was a mistake and just an emotional decision on my part.So I recommend you calm down a bit and stay in Istanbul and enjoy whats left of your time there.Its full of great people and great sights.You've got a good travel story to tell into your old age .
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ldsant
First of all, as eastwest said, I'm glad that you were not hurt in any way. Secondly, here are some things I would recommend:

1. Call your credit card company NOW - have them reissue an fed ex you a new card (if this is your only one - otherwise cancel it and use another card while you travel) (You had called them before you left to tell them you were travelling, right?)

2. Go to the US Embassy in the morning and report exactly what happened including the name of the police officer who went with you to the club. Provide as many details as possible. Have them give you a copy of the written report.

Hope this helps and hope that the rest of your trip is wonderful. I personally wouldn't come home or cancel any part of your trip - something wonderful may be in store for you!

This is very sage advice.

- Without a doubt, file a report at your Embassy. Having a copy of the report may specifically assist you if you decide to dispute the charges, but it will also be incorporated into travel warnings to other travelers. And believe me, if one country decides to file a travel warning about another, it gets the other country's attention real quick. Crackdowns start happening, if only for a few months at a time.

- Call your credit card company's 24 hour line. Ask what charges are pending. Cancel the card before the charges are posted.

- Write a letter to Hyatt. You were solicited outside the hotel, correct? Tell Hyatt corporate that you expect better from their hotel staff -- that they need to include a letter in the rooms suggesting that foreign travelers staying at the hotel are being targeted for scams. They probably won't put the letter in the rooms (what hotel wants to admit that their guests are specific targets of con artists because they are staying there?), but they will start to beef up security in the outer areas of their property's environs.

- Thank you for sharing your story.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Something similar happened to me while Cairo. Menu was in Arabic, ordered a few beers, when the bill came, also written in Arabic, the other person doubled the bill, then "realized" he did not have enough and asked me to lend him his amount. As we would go to his "brother's" house afterwards to get the money for his part and then he would drive me back to my hotel. At that point I figured out the scam and in the end I paid the actual cost - so the guy got three beers and some food out of me, about $10.

The lessson as others are saying, always ask for the menu, no menu, no interest. The other is that I never tell people what hotel I am staying at.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Regarding CC disputes, I had a similar experience with a German CC -- your odds for disputing the original charge would have been very decent, but when you went back and "renegotiated" a lower price, the CC company is likely to assume that the element of coercion was less prominent, and that you, at the time you signed the slip, entered the contract willingly. Ymmv, of course, depending on card issuer and jurisdiction -- Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:45 pm

I'm sorry this happened to you and am glad you weren't hurt. And don't feel like an idiot -- these people are pros and I'm convinced any of us could have a weak moment. It is a good reminder to all of us to be cautious, though it gets tiring to be on guard 24/7 and I don't think we are typically instinctively *that* cautious. Hence my certainty that none of us is beyond being a vic.

I would also like to commend you for the ideas behind your talking with the Iranian guy. Your motivations were good -- it is just a real shame that your goodness and trust were abused. I hope it won't sour you permanently on citizen diplomacy.

And I, too, think ldsant's advice was rock solid. Good luck!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Reminds me a bit of Patpong in Bangkok, where there are rip-off places with B2,000 "entertainment charge" signs hidden behind flowerpots. Walk-ins OK, or they can always charge double and pay commission to a tout.

Or the "Grand Palace closed today, Buddha holiday" jewelry bit.

Or the "Remember me from the hotel?" one, which I think is a lead-in to card games. A friend fell for it in Malaysia, where apparently they'll take you for more than they do in the Philippines.

At least in Amsterdam, Barcelona and Ho Chi Minh City they've just been more straightforward and gone for the pickpocketing. I understand you can really go in for a lot at Wanchai places in Hong Kong.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the con artists are so ggod at acting they could easily win an Oscar. I have seen many and have been mildly scammed in Amsterdam, NOLA, NYC etc, but never for more than $20. When presented with a bill for sending champagne "to my 2 lovely companions over at the bar" I said I didnt order it, wont pay for it and present the bill to the guy who did. Unfortunately one person I know met a "local" friendly man in Paris, had a glass or 2 of wine with him in a bar and later woke up missing his wallet, watch, shoes etc. Later he found out the thieves had totally cleaned out his hotel room and had $300 of room service charged to the room.

MisterNice
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. I am happy that my story can serve as a reminder for some of you.

I am still in Istanbul and am not going to cut short my trip. I was quite upset last night, but, this morning, I decided I was not going to let this ruin my trip.

A couple answers to some questions.

1. The initial bill for $900 was paid on my credit card. The second bill for 450 Lira was paid in cash. The club manager would not take my credit card the second time (probably figuring I would dispute the charge) and I really just wanted to get out of there. Losing $300 is not cool, but it's a manageable amount, and far better than losing $900. Since I paid in cash, even though I withdrew the money from an ATM solely for purpose of paying the manager, I don't think I can dispute it with my bank. I may try though as I have nothing to lose.

2. Credit card has been canceled. The only card I have is an AMEX, and I am not sure how widely accepted it is in Turkey. I planned to mostly spend cash, anyway.

3. I did not go the U.S. Consulate today. I just wanted to get on with my trip.

4. I never got a police report from the police last night. One was not offered and the police officer did not speak much English at all, so asking would have been difficult.

5. GUWonder explained my reasoning for wanting to engage the Iranian very well. My ear for languages is not very good, so I would have been unable to tell if he was speaking Turkish, Arabic or Farsi.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
The EXACT same thing happened to me in Istanbul.. in fact, it was probably the same club. Except the guy who I talked to on the street was Russian and very friendly. I have to say the club did have an amazing belly dance show. Then it was the same thing you described, a disco-style dance floor with lots of women (hookers), and the whole deal with the back office, the manager (who was East Indian), etc. I ended up going to the ATM to give them some cash, and also made the credit card charge.

I just canceled the credit card charge when I got home, but was still out a few hundred bucks on the cash part... though I didn't mind all that much, since I partook of the drinks and girls a bit more than "one beer". :-)

Yah gotta watch out in Istanbul. I was eating dinner with two friends there, one of whom was local. She was telling us how you have to be so careful about pickpockets. And by the end of dinner, she realized her purse had been stolen!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PresRDC, you'll be chalking it up to experience and adding it to the travel yarns very soon. As others have said, you are in one piece with only slightly wounded pride. Anyone that does a substantial amount of travel is likely to have at least one such story (I have a rather alarmning story from Bulgaria involving a fake firearm) so welcome to the club.

It has taught me to be friendly - but only on my terms. I always a 'friend/colleague/business contact' to meet soon, and then arrange to meet at a place and time of my choosing - if I choose to do at all.

The sad thing is that a genuine and admirable desire of yours to engage, make friends and be civil turned into this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.