Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Easing of uk hand baggage restrictions

Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels

Breaking news on BBC is that larger uk hand baggage allowances will be introduced next week, also that some liquids and things like toothpaste and shaving foam will be allowed.. Details awaited
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5343018.stm
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Excellent news...thanks for providing the reference. I am anxious to learn the details of the relaxed restrictions. Please post when you have time.

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Flew LGW - MAD this morning. Saw lots of passengers with hand luggage quite a bit larger than the standard box posted at all check in counters.

On the way out of the plane I asked the FA about this, pointing to two backpackers (this was an EZ flight) with packs at least twice the permitted size.

She said that it all depends. Some people sail right through and others are turned back to check in some items. She also said that some people bring a nearly-empty bag into the secure area, then fill up with duty free.

Somehow the pair I spotted seemed more headed to a beachside campsite than hearty duty free shoppers, but you never can tell.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
the announcement is meant to be on tuesday, so watch for some serious leaking on monday, with the implementation from next weekend (23rd sept)
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Jenbel
the announcement is meant to be on tuesday, so watch for some serious leaking on monday, with the implementation from next weekend (23rd sept)
Thank GOD. I flagged this yesterday in Newsstand (there was a brief mention in the FT) but hadn't heard any confirmations until now. I am transiting through LHR on the 23rd and 28th, on a short trip for which I only need a small bag. I have been wringing my hands over the prospect of having it get lost in both directions in the labyrinth of Heathrow's baggage transfer system. Hoping that the gods smile on me and I will be able to do carry-on!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:11 am

keep an eye on the BA board as well then - it will be discussed ad nauseum there, as currently the restrictions are affecting all of us. There's already a thread, but nothing very substantive - it kind of became a list of things we'd successfully smuggled through
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just my luck to have bad timing - am flying home LHR-JFK on the 19th...oh well....less schlepping onto and off the plane, but more waiting upon landing
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:24 am

for words of scant comfort, there would be no guarantee that the TSA will allow the changes the UK government makes onto US bound planes.. there may be scant change TATL

(Although obviously, we are hoping!)
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
for words of scant comfort, there would be no guarantee that the TSA will allow the changes the UK government makes onto US bound planes.. there may be scant change
The TSA already allows all the changes that I have heard proposed ... and has for at least a week (there have been several sets of changes since Aug. 10). For example the TSA allows most women's cosmetics that the UK does not allow; and there never was a carryon size restriction. So what changes that the UK government is making is it that requires TSA to make a corresponding change?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
for words of scant comfort, there would be no guarantee that the TSA will allow the changes the UK government makes onto US bound planes.. there may be scant change TATL

(Although obviously, we are hoping!)
Good point; I have gotten used to "flyin' dry" and buying shaving cream and toothpaste at my destinations. Anything to avoid checking my trusty roll-a-board! ^
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:21 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
The UK is allowing toothpaste again. The TSA currently bans this (according to tsa.gov). As my toothbrush, toothpaste, and contact solution are the only reason I'm currently checking a bag, I hope the TSA follows the UK's lead. After all, the plot originated in the UK in the first place.

Still no word on why I can bring thermite on board an airplane but not toothpaste!

Originally Posted by number_6
The TSA already allows all the changes that I have heard proposed ... and has for at least a week (there have been several sets of changes since Aug. 10). For example the TSA allows most women's cosmetics that the UK does not allow; and there never was a carryon size restriction. So what changes that the UK government is making is it that requires TSA to make a corresponding change?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TProphet
The UK is allowing toothpaste again.
Actually, the UK restrictions are generally only on what you can take through the security checkpoint. Anything you can buy beyond security can be carried on board. So this goes beyond toothpaste: it includes all toiletries you can buy in the airside shops.

The only exception to this is that you still can't take liquids and gels etc. onto US-bound flights even if bought in the airside shops.

The size restriction still makes packing for a weekend difficult. Hopefully that'll be one of the things that'll be resolved next week.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by number_6
we're not allowed to carry liquids on bought airside to US - we are already allowed to do that to any other destination ex UK. I don't expect that to change, since that's a worldwide edict in place from any OP to the US (or it was last weekend, it may have changed since then, but I haven't seen anything to suggest it has).

But my post was really made to highlight the fact that just because the UK changes it's restrictions, there is no guarantee that the TSA will follow suit, or that there will be any continuity between the two authorities. I presume you've been following the many threads on BA where passengers have been trying to read the UK rules in a US context, believing that because it's allowed in the US it is the same in the UK? It's caused quite a large amount of confusion, and I was just trying to highlight that the rules are still likely to be different between the TSA and the UK.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: Star alliance, Flying blue
The Times reports that:

a) restrictions may be relaxed in size, to 56 x 45 x 25 cms
b) may be announced tomorrow (Monday18 Sep)
c) may be implemented on Friday (22 Sep)

Article does not say when two bags may be allowed. Article does suggest that Airports are insisting on restrictions, whereas airlines want relaxation.

Just to go off-topic, it is beginning to look more like a typical supplier (airport) service quality mismatch compared to customer (airline) service expectation. This might be reasonable if the supplier is not paid enough to provide the service requested, but would be unreasonable if the customers are paying enough but the supplier just won't do it. Since the payments from airlines to airports are regulated, and airlines cannot pay the full price of extra screening now required (and hence cannot charge the flyers), then we may be stuck with restrictions. I for one would be happy to pay another GBP 2 on the ticket to take standard IATA and laptop bags on board.

regards, Talisman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.