Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying Dried fruit into USA??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
Carrying Dried fruit into USA??

Does anyone know anything about or have experience carrying dried fruit into the USA, and clearing customs? I will be flying into JFK in about a week and may need to carry some dried fruit samples for our company that are to be sent to a potential buyer in the States. We can not have them confiscated by customs. I know that fresh fruit is a problem, but what about dried? Are we better off sending them via FedEx with all the proper paperwork etc?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe dried fruit is treated the same as fresh fruit as it could carry the same nasties.

MisterNice
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
If they must be there, use FedEx or UPS and send them with plenty of time.

Dried fruit, if found, will be taken and draw a fine.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fruit in any form is illegal. Seized and if you didn't declare it you'll be fined also.

I wouldn't even be sure on shipping it in advance--customs has the same right to inspect international packages as they do travellers and they'll stop the same things.

Since this is apparently a precursor to importing I'm sure there are channels somehow you can go through as there are fruit imports into the US. I have no idea how this is accomplished, though.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Just make sure the doggy doesn't sniff you out.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Fruit in any form is illegal. Seized and if you didn't declare it you'll be fined also.

I wouldn't even be sure on shipping it in advance--customs has the same right to inspect international packages as they do travellers and they'll stop the same things.

Since this is apparently a precursor to importing I'm sure there are channels somehow you can go through as there are fruit imports into the US. I have no idea how this is accomplished, though.
does this apply in any way to coofee beans? thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:54 pm

I have carried dried fruit from Thailand through USA customs at LAX. Of course I declared it on the customs form. The fruit was hermitically sealed, like a bag of chips/crisps. The agent just asked me what it was and waved me through. He did not even want to see the package.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:14 pm

I brought some dried mushrooms into the U.S. a few years ago and declared it. The customs people wanted me to assure them (verbally) that the mushrooms were dried and then allowed me to go ahead with it.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
If this is for a business venture then you should have or know what paperwork is needed. If you fill that out correctly and have it along with the dried fruit, you will be fine. The same limitations would apply whether its carried or shipped into the US. I would absolutely not hide it, especially if this is commercial related. That's just setting yourself and your organization up for trouble.

If you have a question as to whether the product is even ALLOWED in the US - that is something you should be addressing prior to the trip via the embassy, I'd guess.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would be more concerned about bringing them in for business then I would be bringing them in as fruit.

I say ship them with the proper paperwork in plenty of time to get them here so you know they arrived before you leave.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Track
I brought some dried mushrooms into the U.S. a few years ago and declared it. The customs people wanted me to assure them (verbally) that the mushrooms were dried and then allowed me to go ahead with it.
We have routinely brought lots of food but not fruit or meat. We declare it, generally get ag inspected and that's that, no problems.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
They're likely to confiscate it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
I have been doing research and been told by the company we are bringing samples for to just carry it in and declare it. They are saying they have done it many times and as long as it is declared it is no problem... in my research I am finding that the problem lies with fresh fruit, that can carry worms and insects. So, we will try it and see... I will report back with what happens. Certainly hoping for the best!!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I went through customs with a mess of dried mango from the Philippines a few years back. When asked if I had anything to declare I specifically asked the customs agent about my mangoes. He asked me to show him the package and when he saw that it was in a sealed plastic package he said it was no problem for me to bring it in to the US and it was basically treated like candy in that regard. However, I wouldn't suggest trying the same in Australia. I don't even think you can bring bubble gum through their agricutlure inspections there.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:04 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I too have carried a number of dried things - beef (biltong), fruits, mushrooms. I always declare them and only once had an officer question it - once he saw it was vacuum-sealed and dried (beef in that case), he thanked me for declaring it and I was on my way.

Dried beef is on the prohibited list BTW, but mine was from South Africa, commercially packed and as such the officer did not take issue with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.