FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What is the point of turndown service? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/582999-what-point-turndown-service.html)

decemmie Jul 25, 2006 12:15 pm

What is the point of turndown service?

Serious question, is there anyone out there that values turndown service and why?

It creeps me out to think of a housekeeping staff member coming into my room to "turn down" the bedding!

decemmie

ORDflyer Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by decemmie
Serious question, is there anyone out there that values turndown service and why?

It creeps me out to think of a housekeeping staff member coming into my room to "turn down" the bedding!

decemmie

Turndown service gets off the often heavy bedspread and stores it neatly. it also gives you new towels if needed. Do you think the maid that puts on the sheets is somehow more sanitary than the turn-down maid? What is it that is so "creepy." You are in a hotel!!! Repairmen, mini-bar servicers, and other miscellaneous peiple come in all the time.

mikeef Jul 25, 2006 12:26 pm

Sometimes they leave you little chocolates. I like chocolates. Also, they usually replenish the soaps and shampoos that I stole.

Mike

kipper Jul 25, 2006 12:40 pm

Or, they leave you little mints, and those are always good too, especially when they're chocolate mints. Seriously, I love turndown service, as it makes the bed look more inviting for bedtime.

Canarsie Jul 25, 2006 12:47 pm

This topic is not specific to Hilton Hotels or the Hilton HHonors frequent guest program.

Why not allow those FlyerTalk members who have stayed in any hotel property which offers turndown service to participate on this topic?

I personally see no reason why not, which is why the new home for this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

m60521 Jul 25, 2006 12:52 pm

There was a knock at my door, and the voice on the other side said "Turn down service."

I said, "Come in."

She said, "No!"

:p

Pat89339 Jul 25, 2006 1:03 pm

I enjoy the extra service, turn down of bed, fresh towels, chocolates or other small amenities on the pillows. The waste bins are emptied and the hotel toiletries replenished.

LapLap Jul 25, 2006 1:12 pm

I have to admit that I didn't understand the point of this service either.

But if it means that the Molton Brown amenities are going to be replenished, I'll certainly be requesting it!

Thanks OP for asking, Canarsie for sending the query over, and everyone else for all for the info ^

Mary2e Jul 25, 2006 1:12 pm

My last turn down service:

Closed the drapes
put a CD in the player
emptied the trash
left fresh towels
put the robes on the bed
turned the bed down
left chocolates & a rose

When on vacation, I appreciate the service because often we have used the clean towels from the morning and will need towels again for the following morning before housekeeping comes.

When on business I don't find the service as useful.

BlissWorld Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
My last turn down service:
Closed the drapes
put a CD in the player
emptied the trash
left fresh towels
put the robes on the bed
turned the bed down
left chocolates & a rose

Now that's what I am talking about.

Many luxury properties offer such services which add a great touch to the overall experience....like Mary2e described, there had been many times where I walked into my room after a long day and found:

relaxing jazz music playing in the background; draped closed; halogen lighting to a minimum level; robe, slipper, and step towel placed on my bed/floor; bed turned down with fresh flowers; a box of chocolate on the pillow; a card with the maid's name with tomorrow's forecast and temperatures; fresh bottled water on the night stand; also a pillow menu...

I've even been to hotels that offer bath "turn down":
extra towels, floormats placed, extra amenities like mouth wash, tooth paste, floss, etc placed on counter; rubber duckies placed in tub :D; and spa amenities (bath salt, etc) placed on a bench.

uproared Jul 25, 2006 1:47 pm

I think it's a nice touch!

Especially when your bed has about 14 decorative pillows! The chocolate on the pillow is always welcome too.

OutOfOffice Jul 25, 2006 1:56 pm

Ok, I need to stay at fewer 1,2 and 3 star properties. Been a while since anything was turned down in my room for me. :D

BLI-Flyer Jul 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by m60521
There was a knock at my door, and the voice on the other side said "Turn down service."

I said, "Come in."

She said, "No!"

:p

:D :D :D

pinniped Jul 25, 2006 3:09 pm

Extra towels. That's huge, especially if there are four of us staying in the room and we've either run some sort of road race or played a round of golf that day. Lots of showers, lots of towels needed. Nice to have a fresh stack twice a day without having to bust a phone call to housekeeping.

Chocolates don't suck either.

No hotel maid has ever left me a rose. :(

Mary2e Jul 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
No hotel maid has ever left me a rose. :(

Stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. A rose on the pillow along with the chocolate.

By the end of our last stay I had a nice bouquet in a water glass ;)