Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the point of turndown service?

What is the point of turndown service?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Originally Posted by kered
Anyone got any recommendations of some “Relaxing Jazz” that I could look out for in the music store ??
If you are a Coltrane fan, I would recommend the Coltrane/Hartmann disc. Here's the review from Amazon.com's editorial staff:
This is one of the three all-ballad albums that John Coltrane recorded in late 1962 and early 1963. Johnny Hartman was apparently Coltrane's suggestion, and his deep, dark voice meshes perfectly here with Coltrane's tenor. The material is well-chosen, including definitive readings of "My One and Only Love" and "Lush Life." McCoy Tyner fills out the chords, augmenting the harmonies and keeping the tone of these ballads respectful but not overly sentimental. All the players get to the deep structure of the songs and are not afraid to play in the most essential and elegant manner. This is beautiful jazz. --Michael Monhart

It's also one of the most romantic albums you will ever listen to.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:25 pm

When I get back to the room I'm usually quite tired, and I like that all the extra "not to use" pillows have been removed from the bed, leaving me with the 4 or 5 that are to be used.

I'm not a fan of the robe on the bed. It's one more thing that I have to move off the bed.

If I'm in the room I usually put on the DND, as I don't want anyone to knock quick and enter. (I need to be better at putting on the extra locks when I'm in the room.)
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoy the turndown service offered by the SQ FA when travelling in their F as they will convert the seat into the flat position, set it up, and tuck you in with the duvet. Not many carriers would have their crews perform this. Crews at CX F are among them that will not do this service.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
I usually leave set up the DND sign and leave it there for the entire stay, unless I'm at the hotel longer than 4 days.

Bedcovers and decorative pillows always hit the floor when I first arrive at my room, and they stay there. I'm also able to keep the room organized enough by myself, and my personal hygiene is good enough so that the sheets can handle more than a few days without being washed.

I don't need no stinkin' pampering on business trips, but that's just me. I don't mind it on vacations, however.

But in any case, I don't think I should be held responsible for subsequent room damage if I come back to my room after a long work day and Michael Bolton's blaring from the clock radio
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1P, NW GE, HH Diamond, PC Plat
For those who use Turn Down service, do you typically tip? If so, how much?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Twice a Day beats Once a Day

I always figured turn down service was invented as an excuse for housekeeping to come in your room a second time each day.

To count the towels again and make sure no guests "accidentally" dropped one in their carry on.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have asked this question of a hotel manager. He told me that it's done to show hospitality, to reach out to guests and to prompt them for any other requests that they might have.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
Last week at the Crowne Plaza Auckland

Knock on door. "Turn down service?"
Me: "No thanks" - I had business papers spread out on the bed
Her: Would you like some chocolate anyway?
Me whilst taking a handful of tasty chockies "Of course, thanks"

Spent the next hour eating yummy chocolate while doing my work.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:10 pm

That's not turndown service, it's chocolate delivery! ^
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
My last turn down service:
When on vacation, I appreciate the service because often we have used the clean towels from the morning and will need towels again for the following morning before housekeeping comes.

When on business I don't find the service as useful.
Were you not clean when you got out of your shower? Had you hung them up, they'd be dry by the next morning. Going through 2 sets of towels a day is really excessive.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
I never use that many towels, that they´d need to be changed several times a day. Nor do I use towels to cover the floor. Do you guys think about the waste of natural resources at all? Maybe it´s just the way we are raised here in Finland as whenever I visit the US, I wonder how the people are so disrespectful to the environment in general. People moving into deserts to live in air-conditioned houses and using tons of water to water lawns in a place that no-one in their right mind didn´t even think about moving into some decades ago. Driving all those SUVs etc. I´m just glad that most of the world´s population can´t afford to live like that. Our planet could not handle that.
I've got to agree with you about your concern for the environment. Although do you also question the people who choose to live in cold parts of the world that need heat? (I don't at all disagree with you on the watering (although different choices would make that obsolete). People have been living in the deserts for thousands of years (albeit without air conditioning for all but the last 40 years or so -- but people lived in cold climates without central heating for all but the last 50 years or so).
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Telfes
I have to confess that I really like the towel on the floor by the bed. I hate hotel floors & it is nice not to have to be so careful about hitting the slippers dead on if I get up in the dark. That said, I am fully capable of putting an extra hand towel on the floor.
Hotel slippers? I can't imagine it. Someone else complained about the fact that towels are previously used (albeit washed in between guests); I guess the same must be true of the slippers but I'll bet they don't always get washed. I'll take my chances with wearing my own slippers ...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by viajero7889
Last week at the Crowne Plaza Auckland

Knock on door. "Turn down service?"
Me: "No thanks" - I had business papers spread out on the bed
Her: Would you like some chocolate anyway?
Me whilst taking a handful of tasty chockies "Of course, thanks"

Spent the next hour eating yummy chocolate while doing my work.
So that's what turn down means: "No thanks," and send them on their way.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
Hotel slippers? I can't imagine it. Someone else complained about the fact that towels are previously used (albeit washed in between guests); I guess the same must be true of the slippers but I'll bet they don't always get washed. I'll take my chances with wearing my own slippers ...
At any of the hotels I've stayed at which supply slippers they've always been supplied fresh and new - yours to keep (as far as I could tell anyway). I didn't imagine they'd bother going through the hassle of re-using them for the next guest (unless there's hotels out there that give particuarly fancy slippers out).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
At any of the hotels I've stayed at which supply slippers they've always been supplied fresh and new - yours to keep (as far as I could tell anyway). I didn't imagine they'd bother going through the hassle of re-using them for the next guest (unless there's hotels out there that give particuarly fancy slippers out).
Thanks for the info. It's terribly wasteful though; 95% of them probably end up in the trash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.