Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the point of turndown service?

What is the point of turndown service?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:06 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Doppy
Isn't the point obvious? Before the bed is turned down it is covered up by a bedspread. After the turndown the bedspread is removed and the bed is opened up so that you can get right in.
Agreed. But...I usually take off the bedspread myself and store it away so it doesn't have to come back on again...and then off again. I do like turn-down service but I don't really need it.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:33 am
yep

Programs: PC Plat RA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
and don't forget truely luxury hotels like FS, RC, MO... you will get new toiletry items valued around $30 every evening . And there are enough people who will buy this staff at eBay...

yep
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by UK flyer
I don't need turndown service because I'm green..........................................
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
.......................Do you guys think about the waste of natural resources at all?.....................as whenever I visit the US, I wonder how the people are so disrespectful to the environment in general. People moving into deserts to live in air-conditioned houses and using tons of water to water lawns in a place that no-one in their right mind didnt even think about moving into some decades ago. Driving all those SUVs etc. Im just glad that most of the worlds population cant afford to live like that. Our planet could not handle that.

snore............

Jeez guys chill out a bit...............
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:33 am

Location: Franklin, TN HHonors Diamond, Worldperks Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by m60521
There was a knock at my door, and the voice on the other side said "Turn down service."

I said, "Come in."

She said, "No!"

Now, I don't care who you are, that's funny, right there. ^
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Isn't the point obvious? Before the bed is turned down it is covered up by a bedspread. After the turndown the bedspread is removed and the bed is opened up so that you can get right in.
This could be useful for handicapped people but a healthy person needs someone else to get his bed ready?!
Damn... Where is our society heading?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by herzmeh
This could be useful for handicapped people but a healthy person needs someone else to get his bed ready?! Damn... Where is our society heading?
Feh. I don't look at it as a NEED, I look at it as a luxury. It's being pampered, for heaven's sake.

GG
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Feh. I don't look at it as a NEED, I look at it as a luxury. It's being pampered, for heaven's sake.

GG
To me it's more of an annoyance... At night, sitting, working, doing other stuff, whatever... *knock* *knock*
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
To me it's more of an annoyance... At night, sitting, working, doing other stuff, whatever... *knock* *knock*
Well, that's okay. To each his/her own. I like it, you don't. It's nice that we have the option to request that hotels do/don't perform this service.

GG
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by m60521
There was a knock at my door, and the voice on the other side said "Turn down service."

I said, "Come in."

She said, "No!"

I think you got the punch line slightly wrong though...it's actually:

I said, "Yes."

She left.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Just to bend the topic slightly.

Some of you have mentioned that youve come back to your room to find Relaxing Jazz playing on the CD player, which was put on as part of the turn down service.

I like to wind down my day listening to soft music as I head for the land of nod & would like to add some Jazz to my CD collection.

Anyone got any recommendations of some Relaxing Jazz that I could look out for in the music store ??
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Ugh - no music for me!

I have almost never had music waiting for me, but it did occur recently. Frustrating experience having to locate the OFF switch on an unfamiliar machine before unpacking.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
I am sure you had a DND sign, thats whats its for!

I think turndown is nice as one may tend to have a siesta in the late afternoon or errrr do what loving adults do.

Its a nice touch, I also have had a nice food treats etc and the inroom ipod put on etc...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Ms. Ocn Vw 1K feels adamantly that turn-down service should not include turning on lights, CDs and TV with no one in the room as it wastes energy.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This could be useful for handicapped people but a healthy person needs someone else to get his bed ready?!
Damn... Where is our society heading?
I assume that you vacuum your hotel room and scrub down the shower before you leave, too?

That's what the "do not disturb" sign is for. I like coming back home late at night to see that the room has been straightened up and is ready for me to hop into bed. If you don't like it, you can easily opt out by engaging the do not disturb mechanism.

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Ms. Ocn Vw 1K feels adamantly that turn-down service should not include turning on lights, CDs and TV with no one in the room as it wastes energy.
This I agree with. At hotels where you have to put your key in the slot to turn on the power this problem is solved because those can be set to turn the lights back on as soon as the key is in, giving you the same effect, without all of the wasted power.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by kered
Anyone got any recommendations of some Relaxing Jazz that I could look out for in the music store ??
I like Monk Jazz...those music they play at starbucks. It's kind of hard to browse music that you are not familiar with online, especially jazz. I tend to buy compilation CDs vs single artest in the jazz category. You can search "monk" on amazon.com and pick a couple random people and listen to the sample clips to see if you like it.

You could also go to your local borders/virgin/music store and go to the jazz/monk section to listen to sample CDs.

Another suggestion is to buy a CD from starbucks.

Do you have aol? I actually like AOL radio a lot--the monk channel and loft music. I think XM have those channels available as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.