Put envelopes in the desk drawer

Close the drapes
Towels
Empty trash
left fresh mints
put the slippers next to the bed
turned the bed down
clean the mirrors

While I used to think it was goofy, I think I'm addicted to it now.
If they don't come, it kinda feels like a let down somehow...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
relaxing jazz music playing in the background
That's a huge annoyance to me, as I often find that I am too technologically challenged to turn the music off on my own.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by m60521
There was a knock at my door, and the voice on the other side said "Turn down service."

I said, "Come in."

She said, "No!"

^ Took me a minute.

I love turndown service. I like going out to dinner and returning to find the room straightened up and the bathroom cleaned.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I don't need turndown service because I'm green. I prefer to re-use my towels and I certainly don't need my soap replacing after I've used it just once. And do I really need a piece of cloth on the floor by my bed?

Actually, if I'm staying for a few nights I like to inform either reception or housekeeping that I prefer not to have my sheets or towels changed for the duration of my stay.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by UK flyer
I don't need turndown service because I'm green.
I'm green, too, but I LOVE turndown service. I just tell them not to replace the towels and they just tidy up and turn down the bed, leave my chocolate on the pillow, etc.

One thing I don't like, though, is hotels that have turndown service "on request." Even though I love turndown, I feel silly calling to ask someone to come do it.

GG
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Mary2e
When on business I don't find the service as useful.
I agree, but I like the service. When on business, I would prefer that they just turn the bed down when they make it up in the morning.

What annoys me most about turndown service is when it comes while I'm in the room. I feel a little ridiculous having someone in the room with me while they complete their tasks, so I usually just ask for the chocolates or water and fresh towels if I need them.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Turndown service is especially nice when you are vacationing in a warm beach resort like CUN. At these types of places, one tends to shower more due to the heat and to get the sand off of you.

I don't like reusing my towels when I'm at a hotel. It's bad enough that you're using a towel that someone else used previously, I don't want the towel to feel used when I drying off.

Anyone who can't see or appreciate the purpose of this service should just stay at a Motel 6.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

I don't like reusing my towels when I'm at a hotel. It's bad enough that you're using a towel that someone else used previously, I don't want the towel to feel used when I drying off.
They're being washed between two guests, so I don't see your point...

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Anyone who can't see or appreciate the purpose of this service should just stay at a Motel 6.
That should be your hotel of choice...bring your own towel and soap, that way you're sure they are not "corrupted"
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't the point obvious? Before the bed is turned down it is covered up by a bedspread. After the turndown the bedspread is removed and the bed is opened up so that you can get right in.

Originally Posted by UK flyer
I don't need turndown service because I'm green.
There's nothing bad for the environment about taking the bedspread off and pulling the duvet back. In fact, that's probably good for the environment because it spreads less germs than sleeping on top of the bedspread, which means you get sick less often, which means you consume fewer resources, drugs, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: US-SP,Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Mary2e
My last turn down service:
When on vacation, I appreciate the service because often we have used the clean towels from the morning and will need towels again for the following morning before housekeeping comes.

When on business I don't find the service as useful.
I agree -
When I am alone I don't need as much,
When the family is around we need/use more.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
I am also not a big fan of turn-down on business. Besides the soothing jazz, the best benefit is having a full ice bucket ^ . That's useful.

Otherwise, the slippers never fit, I use few towels, and I like to see the skyline at night.

I'm never upset if they forget my room.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:36 pm

On Amtrak I appreciated the turndown service because turning the seats into beds is a job best left to the expert. For a regular hotel though, I don't see the point.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:18 pm

I have to confess that I really like the towel on the floor by the bed. I hate hotel floors & it is nice not to have to be so careful about hitting the slippers dead on if I get up in the dark. That said, I am fully capable of putting an extra hand towel on the floor.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
IMO, it is a pretty worthless service. I'd much prefer later room service hours, larger space, or more amenities than turndown service. Anytime I'm at a hotel that offers turndown, I will politely ask that they don't do it.

I do, however, like the little chocolate, but other than that I don't see the point. Neither myself or anyone I'm traveling with will use that many towels, I can remove the duvet cover myself, and I certainly don't want any #%*#% music on.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:55 am

I never use that many towels, that theyd need to be changed several times a day. Nor do I use towels to cover the floor. Do you guys think about the waste of natural resources at all? Maybe its just the way we are raised here in Finland as whenever I visit the US, I wonder how the people are so disrespectful to the environment in general. People moving into deserts to live in air-conditioned houses and using tons of water to water lawns in a place that no-one in their right mind didnt even think about moving into some decades ago. Driving all those SUVs etc. Im just glad that most of the worlds population cant afford to live like that. Our planet could not handle that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.