Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

My youngest niece has just asked me what I do for a living and how it allows me to travel all the time*. She is particularly fond of the new stories I have to share every time I manage to meet her and my brother for dinner. I am an IT consultant based in Europe and she did not really like the description of my job after I explained her what I do for a living.

Then, it was just a matter of seconds until her second (and tougher) question: "What jobs allow you to travel all the time on the company's dime?"

I replied: consulting, finance (don't know exactly what positions, though), some academic positions, and of course... pilots and FA!

However, I can't help but feel that my list was embarrassingly short, so I decided to come here for help and have a "powerful" list the next time we meet.

She has a scientific background and a BSc in Applied Mathematics but she is bored and willing to make a radical career shift if this one perk is provided: (long haul) flying and travelling.

I must say that I am very curious myself regarding your answers!

*The use of "all the time" was hers; compared to most of you I am just an occasional traveler.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mmff
"What jobs allow you to travel all the time on the company's dime?"
I seem to notice flight attendants on a majority of my flights.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Every now and then I see a pilot on my flight too
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
This questions come over time and time again. If you're truly interested, I suggest searching the forums as the answers are already there.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
FTers - What jobs?

Sales. If she has a biomedical background, could get into pharma or med devices. Not everyone is into sales, but it involves travel, particularly at higher levels.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Originally Posted by t325
Every now and then I see a pilot on my flight too
I remembered those.

Originally Posted by YOWzer
This questions come over time and time again. If you're truly interested, I suggest searching the forums as the answers are already there.
I did search and I thought a new thread was in order, mainly because I did not want to necrobump. Besides, it would be nice to get some new/up-to-date answers. Thanks for the tip, though.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
FTers - What jobs?

I also see ground crew...in case she likes to see other people travel.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Business Development here
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greg0ire
I also see ground crew...in case she likes to see other people travel.
I was under the impression that a ground crew was based at a specific airport all year round. Do they keep rotating and moving to different airports?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Business Development here
If I may ask, do you have several companies (in different places) as clients or do you work for a single multinational company?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Rockstar/Touring musician, some types of consulting, some positions in sales (I don't thing all the travel will be "long haul" though), PR, reporter/journalist (I have a friend who covers economic forums and another one who covers the F1).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbece
Rockstar/Touring musician, some types of consulting, some positions in sales (I don't thing all the travel will be "long haul" though), PR, reporter/journalist (I have a friend who covers economic forums and another one who covers the F1).
How could I forget about reporters and journalists?! Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I work for a large multi national company which is Swiss based although I am UK based. We work in the Smart Grid Industry. My role, as a BDM, has me working with Agents and Distributors as well as directly with end users in the "Exotic" territories where we do not have local offices.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Sky marshals get to fly around too!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

FTers - What jobs?

Engineering. I've been on the road since 2006. Spent about 1000 nights in a hotel since then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.