Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
The general rule of thumb for a lot of companies (with exceptions as always) is domestic travel is in economy and J is allowed for long haul international flights.
I would say J for long-haul is the exception, not the rule.

I know there are lots of people on FT that get to fly paid-J, but of all my friends, co-workers and colleagues who travel for business I don't know anyone who gets to sit up at the front, myself included.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

The most travel I ever did was as a regional auditor for a national retailer in the US. It was by no means international, but I was flying all over the western, southern, and midwestern US on a weekly basis. Perks included destinations like Vegas, Miami, SFO etc...pains included dull places like Des Moines, Tulsa and Kansas City. But I did it for 6 years and in that time earned high status on most US airlines, many of which no longer exist (America West, Continental, USAirways, TWA etc) and that meant F travel for at least the last 3 years of it.

It also meant status in hotels and rental cars. I also had a very good expense policy to work with. I was given X amount and they didn't care how I spent it, so long as I was within budget and the work got done. What's more, what I didn't spend rolled into the next month, so if I was careful, by the last quarter of each year I was living pretty high on the hog in terms of class of travel, dinners, and hotel choices. I didn't earn alot of money at that job, but enough..but the fact that I was living on the company CC most of the time and the fact that I was traveling in a luxurious manner more than made up for it

Even the work wasn't that hard. And because I had to show up first thing in the morning at the destination, I flew in a day early and generally had a day to myself. It beat office life by miles.

I am making much more money now, and traveling internationally as well as domestically, but only once a month on average. The rest of the time I am at the home office. I really miss the life of constant travel, and I miss that job.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Mods feel free to move. Posting here because I value the contributors to the UA forum's input so highly.

Been travelling with work a few times a month for the past couple of years mainly to Houston, Calgary or Chicago (enterprise software sales lots of my clients are energy companies). I would love to travel more and to international destinations in premium cabins.

I was thinking about careers which offer this and came up with the following and I've added my personal comments after:

Consulting / lobbying (not interested)
Politician (not interested)
Oil and Gas operations / exploration (wrong background)
Mining operations / exploration (wrong background)
NGO ?
Investment banking (left finance once already)
Lawyer (wrong background)
Movie / photography / media (could be interesting)
Pilot (wrong background)
FA (not interested)
Niche high ticket sales, aircraft, heavy industry equipment ( Interested but not sure where to look)
Scientist (wrong background)

I would be interested in your thoughts on the list and any additions you may have.
Hello all! Entertaining reading this a few years later and comparing it to my current situation. I have recently launched a software company and I have V1 ready to get feedback on. I was wondering if any kind forumistas may be willing to help out with feedback? The software is aimed at sales teams (VPs, managers and individual contributors) and buying teams (procurement and business lines). Please PM me if you have 20 minutes to spare. It would be very much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.