Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
The campus recruiters for the company where I work travel quite a bit during the school year.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greg0ire
The campus recruiters for the company where I work travel quite a bit during the school year.
What industry/sector is it and what is the size of the company? Is this something common to other companies with similar size operating in this market sector?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mmff
What industry/sector is it and what is the size of the company? Is this something common to other companies with similar size operating in this market sector?
155,000 people work for our parent company, globally. I work in the entertainment segment however we have campus recruiters in our consumer products, IT, and parks and resorts segments as well. And yes, it is very common for our competitors to do the same. I recruit as well, however, I travel maybe once or twice a year for work.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by WillTravel
How about professional services for banks, hedge funds, etc. in the field of quantitative finance?
Quants don't travel. They sit and look at computer screens.

Fundamental analysts and portfolio managers (such as yours truly) do travel.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:37 pm

Research and development-- I worked in both basic research and applied stuff. Cooperative projects between the USA and other countries (govt and private). There was a lot of field work, conferences, meetings, etc.. It was very specialized stuff... why there was so much travel
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Television production. I traveled for many years covering pro and college sports for the networks, and now have moved on to entertainment television.

Extremely little international travel - all domestic, continental US (OK, 3 Hawaii trips). However, i traveled enough to earn 1K on United for over 9 years straight…which finally led to MM.

I have seen much more of this country than I ever thought I might
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Many who have to travel for work wouldn't classify it as "fun". I know, at best, when I traveled to trade shows, it was ok. Mostly it was a grueling 2-4 day trip that included a lot of setup, lugging stuff around, and work, work, work during the show.

I'd say it's much better to have a job that pays well, and that you can take a lot of time off.

I have my own small business, and have prioritized travel and relaxation over the last 15 years. I used to work 350 days per year. I now work about 75 days a year at my business, and an hour a day or so when I'm in other countries.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Global Sourcing - managing factory relationships and negotiations.
Prior to that Product Development.
Travel everywhere we have factories that manufacture the products our designers dream up - at least 4 times a year TPAC and often domestically to attend trade shows/conferences/competitive shopping/market research etc.

It would apply to any industry that has US based designers and overseas manufacturing- apparel/furniture/homegoods/handbags/electronics, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:00 pm

I'm an electrical engineer working for a company that has a contract with the (US) Dep't of Energy. We currently do security installations in former Soviet Union countries.

Three weeks after I started this job, I was sent to Malaysia. I took three long-term assignments as the field engineer in Malaysia, but got tired of being away from home for such long stretches. More recently I've been covering for the field engineers while they take a vacation from their long-term assignment. I've been to Bulgaria five (six?) times, Latvia twice, and may hit Kazakhstan this summer.

Last edited by carole_d; Jan 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reason: extra words are confusing
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by carole_d
...may hit Kazakhstan this summer.
Very Nice!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Quants don't travel. They sit and look at computer screens. Fundamental analysts and portfolio managers (such as yours truly) do travel.
My knowledge about Finance is rather limited but I was under the impression that hiring had shifted focus from fundamental analysts to algorithmic traders (quants) in recent years. Can you please elaborate on the prospects for a young graduate regarding a career as a fundamental analyst or/and portfolio manager nowadays? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd say it's much better to have a job that pays well, and that you can take a lot of time off.
Although I think most of us agree on this, it does not imply that one cannot take pleasure in business trips. I know plenty of people who do truly enjoy most of their travelling.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I have my own small business, and have prioritized travel and relaxation over the last 15 years. I used to work 350 days per year. I now work about 75 days a year at my business, and an hour a day or so when I'm in other countries.
Just out of curiosity, what industry or sector does your company belong to? I am quite amazed (and envious) that you manage to work only 75 days a year.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sgw2124
It would apply to any industry that has US based designers and overseas manufacturing
Noted!

I'm an electrical engineer working for a company that has a contract with the (US) Dep't of Energy. We currently do security installations in former Soviet Union countries.
Just out of curiosity, am I right to assume that the contract with the US Dep't of Energy is independent from the installations in former Soviet Union countries?

Three weeks after I started this job, I was sent to Malaysia. I took three long-term assignments as the field engineer in Malaysia, but got tired of being away from home for such long stretches. More recently I've been covering for the field engineers while they take a vacation from their long-term assignment. I've been to Bulgaria five (six?) times, Latvia twice, and may hit Kazakhstan this summer.
How long have you spent at each place (order of magnitude)?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:38 pm

Noted!

Just out of curiosity, am I right to assume that the contract with the US Dep't of Energy is independent from the installations in former Soviet Union countries?
No - that is the contract.

How long have you spent at each place (order of magnitude)?
My long-term assignments in Malaysia were about 6 months each; 60 days in-country and 10 days home. When I cover for the field engineers, I'm usually there about 2-3 weeks, depending on schedules, work permits, etc.

BTW, this is my first job as an engineer. I was a stay-at-home mom for 10 years before putting my degree to use.

Last edited by carole_d; Jan 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm Reason: for clarity
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Independent
Not sure that there are a lot of jobs in academia where travel is a significant portion of the job. If you are a faculty in some of the higher profile schools, or a high level administrator, you might travel a few times a year for a conference or two, but I rarely see it as a regular part of the job.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not sure when it opens up again but Diplomatic courier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.