Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Engineering. I've been on the road since 2006. Spent about 1000 nights in a hotel since then
Perhaps you can give us some details about the field of engineering you specialized in and the kind of company you work for? I know many engineers and most of them do not travel for work at all.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Doing some sort of training in multiple fields... software, equipment, etc. Large equipment installation/service as an engineer is another. I have several friends who work in finance/accounting that travel a TON both domestically and internationally. They'll head out to visit their accounts for several days to do auditing, etc. A guy I know was going to Maui a few times a month for a few years, and would bring his wife or friends along and let them crash in his hotel.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

FTers - What jobs?

My last 3 jobs since 2006 were
PM for software company
Software Engineer for Defense contractor
Software engineer for software company

All 3 jobs are connected to defense projects.

Tell her to look for jobs at Northrop, Honeywell, Raytheon, Boeing etc.
Plenty of travel around the world for free in style
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I travel for sales. Some friends travel for: Consulting (emergency management pre-planning); Engineering (gigantic boilers all over the world); Speaking/Lectures (various industries).

I don't think I saw travel blogger!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:48 pm

Field engineering for a mobile device and software company for the automotive and heavy equipment industries.

Exactly what I thought I would be when I grew up...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
She has a scientific background and a BSc in Applied Mathematics but she is bored and willing to make a radical career shift if this one perk is provided: (long haul) flying and travelling.
How about professional services for banks, hedge funds, etc. in the field of quantitative finance? She may need to get some more education, but she has a very good start on it.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I'm a field engineer, new equipment installations and repairs, also training of personnel on new machines. I hit 1K on United the past 3 years. I usually travel Tues - Thur. It's nice to avoid heavy travel days of Mon & Fri. and I'm home on the weekends. I typically make 2 trips to Europe every year to service existing machines.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I guess my current job is a combination of what has been mentioned before: engineering, business development and global key account management. Last year was my first year of extensive travel to hit platinum but I am on track for 1k in 2014.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I'm shocked no one has mentioned drug mule yet.

HR consulting to a couple of US and Japanese companies works for some people too, I'm told.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Engineering is the way to go but you have to put your dues in first (It can be 4-5 years of work in design and development before you get to the stage where product rollout and travel needs begin to dominate).

Medical Devices, Energy, aerospace, and defense contractors travel with some frequency.

A masters in facilities engineering or engineering management would be a great option for your niece.

Good luck!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWzer
This questions come over time and time again. If you're truly interested, I suggest searching the forums as the answers are already there.
3 of the many threads here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nted-jobs.html (with many links to other thread on the same topic)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...bs-travel.html (with many links to other thread on the same topic)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-travel-4.html
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I travel every week for my work in M&A consulting. I've also got 2 math degrees, neither of which I use on any regular basis, but it was a good education and if your niece is willing to do something a little different from her college background that can open up more options. Also, if her applied math focus is in economics or finance that is a solid business degree.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I direct International Programs for a U.S. university with satellite campuses around the globe, clocking around 70-100K miles a year and living internationally. I consider myself blessed in that my uni allows my family to travel with me.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: *G
BDM covering a continent, for a multi-national
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies!

From your answers, I made the following list:
  1. Pilot
  2. FA
  3. Consulting
  4. Finance and Accounting
  5. (Field) Engineering
  6. Sales
  7. Business development
  8. PR
  9. Reporter/journalist
  10. Touring musician
  11. Academic positions

The order of the list is naturally not definitive. I will keep updating it using your feedback, thanks a lot once again!

-------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
3 of the many threads here
As I said earlier, I did not want to necrobump and decided to create a new thread instead. Besides, the focus is not exactly the same, I am looking not only for job descriptions but also for comparisons between different opportunities and some debating, too. In any case, thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.