Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is is appropriate to Press the FA call button to ask for a Drink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select

Would it be okay or awkward to press the FA call button to ask for a drink when seated in Y. I have never done this but always wonderd if an FA would look at me funny if I did. What do you guys think?

Ben
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless you're in the middle of taxi and takeoff, why wouldn't you want to do that?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:26 pm

YES!
And it is even more appropriate if seated in C or F, or if not seated in the aisle. I do not understand the attitude that some people have that it is somehow wrong to ask flight attendants to provide service. However, from reading the posts here it seems that on some (mainly North American) carriers the flight attendants also have the idea that it is not their job to do anything other than sit in the galley chatting.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Benny8444
Would it be okay or awkward to press the FA call button to ask for a drink when seated in Y. I have never done this but always wonderd if an FA would look at me funny if I did. What do you guys think?
Why not ... you have a need that needs to be attended to. They are flight attendents after all. Does matter if you need a blanket, pillow, bottle of water, a beer, or have a question, that is part of the reason they are there.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Wink

I personally prefer to walk to the galley myself because it lets me stretch my legs and see if the FAs laid out any snacks.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SPG Plat, Meridien Moments Gold
It's funny though how it seems to vary from one airline to another, and whether flying long-haul or short-haul.

When I'm on a DL short-haul flight in Y, I never see people pushing the button. However, on a KL long-haul flight it does happen more often.

I never do it though.

Kind regards,
Maurits
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA FA's tend to respond with a "what's your emergency?" Of course, UA is not known for stellar customer service.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You're only supposed to use morse code on the call button when requesting your drink.

Press once quickly for dot and press and hold longer for dash.

-- .- -.- . .-. ... / .- -. -.. / -.-. --- -.- . / .--. .-.. . .- ... .
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:20 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by Benny8444

Ben
Go ahead. Usually the inflight magazine will say something about complimentary drinks (or not complimentary) being available throughout the flight, ask an FA for help etc. This together with the icon on the button sounds like an invitation to me!

Just I think people should be aware of the numbers in Y - ie the PAX/FA ratio. I think it would be unfair to keep jabbing it. A prompt service depends on people not abusing it. Also I wouldn't use it when the FAs are obviously busy - eg during meal service.

The attitude of the FA depends on the airline. I've never seen a problem but I don't use US airlines much. An FA friend of mine (on an Asian airline) told me that if a Y PAX requests too much she simply replies "I'm sorry sir, after this we can't offer you any more alcoholic beverages on this flight." and leaves it that.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
I personally prefer to walk to the galley myself because it lets me stretch my legs and see if the FAs laid out any snacks.
I am the same they always have a few extra goodies that do not make the cabin. BUT you pay for a service and that service includes in-seat service so don’t be afraid to push the button
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:20 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
Originally Posted by rjque
UA FA's tend to respond with a "what's your emergency?" Of course, UA is not known for stellar customer service.

That's the reponse you'll get when you press the call button during taxi, take off, landing and turbulance, or your child thinks it's a toy...

Yes, except moments stated above, FAs do not mind at all if you press the call button, they are there to help.

Use it but don't abuse it.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
I don't because I would feel funny about it (and usually am riding in a premium cabin so the FA's are usually readily available to catch them anyway), but if I had to, I would.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:39 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Spiff
-- .- -.- . .-. ... / .- -. -.. / -.-. --- -.- . / .--. .-.. . .- ... .

.- -. --- - .... . .-. / --. .-.. .- ... ... / --- ..-. / -.- .-. ..- --. ..--.. / .-- .... -.-- / -. --- -

(Nice one, Spiff!)
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:18 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by LZ-HMI

.- -. --- - .... . .-. / --. .-.. .- ... ... / --- ..-. / -.- .-. ..- --. ..--.. / .-- .... -.-- / -. --- -

(Nice one, Spiff!)
Wow, you're getting that in economy?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
I've never once had that happen on UA, and I'm not at all shy about pushing the call button when I want another drink. I'm always asked, "May I help you?" I say, "When you get a chance, may I please have another [beverage of choice]?" Answer, "Certainly."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.