Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Same day Passports in Miami. Any experience?

Same day Passports in Miami. Any experience?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:39 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Question Same day Passports in Miami. Any experience?

A few friends of mine and I have decided to go to Aruba on Saturday Morning...

...but I can't find my US passport anywhere in my house, in my work, and by the off chance, in my luggage.

I'm a dual US/Spanish citizen, but I still need my US Passport to re-enter the US. Does anyone have any experience having a same day passport issued in Miami?

I'm planning on making an appointment tonight, and playing hookie from work on Friday to go to Miami and get my passport.

This will be my frst time doing something like this... I'm assuming to bring all pertinent documentation (birth cert, drivers license, flight itinerary, etc), a method of payment, and I should be out in a few hours with a new passport in hand... or should I expect any trouble from the passport office.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:54 pm
mkt
Original Poster

and to add another challenge... there are no appointments left in Miami on Friday.

What would my chances of walking in with no appointment be?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Zero. Federal building - no appointment, no service. But hope is not lost.

I had a situation two years ago here in LA. Was about to leave for the airport for a red-eye to Costa Rica and realized my passport expired. It was already late at night, so I searched the entire night on my options how I could get one the next day. Had lots of potentual passport expiditers to call in the morning (folks who are holding those appointments just in case you need them), but they all seemed to be in other cities (Chicago, SF) and it would take at least three days to send it, for them to go in, and get it back. Ended up calling the National Passport Information Center (877-487-2778) real early in the morning my time (like 3 or 4 AM PST as they opened on the east coast). While the woman I talked to could not help me, she gave me an awesome piece of advice. She said that early in the morning, each local passport office releases additional appointments (or at least the automated system does). I cannot remember if it 5 AM/6 AM/7 AM -- but whatever time she said I called back and got an 11 AM appointment here in LA (there were none left the night before). They had my passport done by 3 PM and the next night I was off to Costa Rica.

If I can find something on the exact time I will post it -- but I would suggest calling at 4:01 AM, 5:01 AM, and 6:01 AM just to see if something becomes available.

Otherwise, do some yellowpages searches and see it there is an expiditer in Miami who has an appointment tomorrow or Friday. It will cost a little bit more.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jul 13, 2006 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
deleting accidental duplicate post...

Last edited by dbuckho; Jul 13, 2006 at 1:32 am
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If your passport was not expired, they may give you grief about it being lost or stolen. They may want to see a police report or affidavit of loss.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
Assuming you get an appointment, I'd allow more than a couple of hours.

Last time I was home in the US I had to get a replacement passport in Boston. The procedure was to go in at the appointment time, give the agent the app/photo/payment, and come back between 4pm and 430pm when the pick up window was open. So even though I had a 930am appointment, I didn't have a passport in hand until later in the day.

I got the impression this was standard procedure, and I'd assume it applies for all offices.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:49 am
mkt
Original Poster

well.... I was still unable to get an appointment for friday

My friends and I have changed our travel date to next saturday, and I'm going to try to get an appointment for next friday.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:39 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mkt

My friends and I have changed our travel date to next saturday, and I'm going to try to get an appointment for next friday.
Bad idea... if at all possible, get an appointment sooner than that. Friday should be the last resort.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:12 pm
Suspended

I knew of some guy in West Palm Beach that had to fly to Washington DC to get his passport the same day. Don't know all the details.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:19 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfp
Bad idea... if at all possible, get an appointment sooner than that. Friday should be the last resort.
true... I'll see if I can play hookie another day from work to sneak down to Miami. I just really cringe at the idea of driving to Miami and back in a day
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA1P/AA/B6
Originally Posted by mkt
true... I'll see if I can play hookie another day from work to sneak down to Miami. I just really cringe at the idea of driving to Miami and back in a day
It's not that bad a drive on the Turnpike.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:48 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mkt

Wait a sec... now that you have a week... use an expediter. They take ~2-3 days and add some extra $$$ on top of the US gov. fees, but they'll save you time off from work.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:38 am

The info on this thread was awesome, just called this am for a appt today and got one @ 3:30 when yesterday there was none. Flyertalk rocks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.