Reload this Page >

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:35 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
To resurect this thread:

before creating a new thread, I wonder if anyone has any tips on watch shops in Hong Kong for Breitling, Bell and Ross, etc. I am looking for a new watch, (40th birthday!) and will be in Hong Kong over that period. Also, in Shanghai. any thoughts about Shanghai as a place to buy such $$ things?!
I'd contact the company (e.g. Breitling) and ask for a list of ADs in Hong Kong. Then ask somebody, who is from Hong Kong or has bought watches there which one of these dealers is the best, and ask him how the dealer will react on paying cash. I don't know about HK, but in Germany you'll only get really low prices on watches if you're willing to pay cash. On Breitling at least -30% should be possible in HK.

As I don't know how big your knowlege really is, I'd recommend only to buy at ADs, of which you'll find a lot in HK.

BTW: No offence, but Breitling is the last brand I'd go for. If you're looking for a daily beater there is almost only Rolex in my eyes, on a special occasion (which your 40th birthday is) I'd buy a AP or a Patek. Just my $0,02.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:46 am
DTS

Originally Posted by bhd87
What is the current mark-up for a stainless steel Daytona?
I can only tell you about the german grey market, where the 116520 is sold between 8000 and 9000€, the current german MSRP is 6910€ (incl. 19% VAT). Plus there are hardly any waitinglist anymore, most ADs will only sell the watches to "high-roller" customers, whereas in the US the watch seems to be available with pretty short waiting periods, PM me for details.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
thanks for the tips.
the only breitling I really like is the emergency, since I'll be traveling extensively in africa and SA next year, I thought it might be a neat watch to have.

but, i'm sort of backing away from the thought.

I've got some Tags and an EII rolex, and the omega SM, but I might look at a another Tag Carrera or something, or a dress rolex.

I'll try the cash option. I can bring that. :-)
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
When I was set to graduate from college, I promised myself a Rolex (Submariner). I think I found one for around $4000 or so here in Hawaii. That is a lot of money for a watch (at least for me). Since it was special occasion, I figured why not. Then I was in the Duty Free shop at HNL and found a spectacular Tag Heuer. It is stainless steel with a great look. It was $1500 Afterwards, I checked around a few stores. The same watch was $2000. I think I got a great deal.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by nmenaker
so, historically singapore has been the best place for walk in and buy a rolex. Cheapest prices anywhere, even more so than the carribean.

In the past, when the euro was more reasonable, europe was fine compared to the US, AND in places like germany where the VAT was 16%, when you got all the VAT back then it was smokin'

today, since the euro is so high, historically so, I cannot imagine anywhere including home country switzerland would offer a reasonable price. It is nice to walk into a Wempe in germany though, get a watch and great service and get the 16% VAT back.

When I lived in Miami, there were many jewely shows where only licensed or retail jewelers were invited, and they had great deals on ALL watches, about 50% of retail and all certified of course, but you gotta find a jeweler to take you in. These shows are in most major cities throughout the year.

I would stay away from ebay, too risky, I have heard of too many scams.

checkout www.timezone.com and their forums, lots of great watch buyers, sellers and users there.
The suggestion to check out timezone.com is a good one. I think given the exchange rates it is going to be very hard to top NY prices. A couple years ago, when the rates were not as low for the dollar as they are now, I was pricing a couple watch brands, although Rolex, and found that on brands like Jaegar and VC the NY prices were not much higher in dollars than the UK number in pounds, so the net difference was great. I did see some pretty competitive prices in Toronto on VC also, there were some aggressive pricing places there and the currency helped also.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:02 am
DTS

Well, always keep in mind that european prices are incl. VAT, whereas in the US you have to add the tax. Anyway with the weak Dollar, Europe isn't the place to buy anything for an US citizen. I don't know about the middle east, Hong Kong and the Carribean, though, which have always been good places to buy a watch.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:26 pm

Location: Happiest Place on Earth~ Mickey's Home: ORLANDO, SUNNY FLORIDA!
Programs: #1 Delta, National, Marriott #2 American, Hertz, Hilton
Thumbs up I second that~

Originally Posted by SMART51
If you know what u r doing then EBAY is the best place.
I have purchased a 100% authentic Rolex from e-bay.

Three things you have to remember.

The feedback rating has to be 99% or higher.

Total number of feedback should be 30,000 or more.

Check the negative feedback to see what the reason was.

My second choice would be Tourneau. They have some good deals.

BTW, Rolex maybe the most famous watch brand but not necessarily the best. TRUE watch aficionados and watch makers look down on Rolex.

Now, if you REALLY want a nice watch there are Patek Phillipe, Piaget, Audemars Piguet...

Have fun shopping!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
"Interesting" to see this dug up for no particular reason!

I'd say ebay can be a minefield for the uninitiated because there can be so many fakes out there that are really quite good! As you say though "buy the seller, then the item".

It depends on the brand but I prefer to just go to the local authorised dealer though and build up a good relationship with one of the people there. My local Breitling dealer is great, managed to get a 20% discount on a watch I bought there last month. Since Breitlings tend to be a repeat purchase (speaking from experience!) building a relationship with an AD can save you $$$ on future purchases plus you get the after sales service peace of mind.

IME it seems Breitling dealers in the US will discount 15% without flinching, a local one here in Richmond even mention it just show some vague interest. No haggling required, getting more than that can be quite difficult though.

Last edited by Fraser; Mar 6, 2008 at 5:33 am
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:54 am
Suspended

DUBAI DUTY FREE
ON

20 DEC every year,

This is their Anniversary.

Last year (24th) everything 24% off. (including my ROLEX)

This year 25% off.

Virtually everything. Worth the trip to DXB.

I am going back for another ROLEX this year.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:13 pm
Suspended

The whole point of buying a Rolex is that it is an overpriced object of desire. If you really want one, why would you want it to be gotten on the cheap? The whole point of it is unnecessary extravagence.

If you're looking to get a good deal on a watch, look at the phone in your pocket. It tells time just as well as any rolex. It's also networked and automatically adjusts to time zones.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
The whole point of buying a Rolex is that it is an overpriced object of desire. If you really want one, why would you want it to be gotten on the cheap? The whole point of it is unnecessary extravagence.

If you're looking to get a good deal on a watch, look at the phone in your pocket. It tells time just as well as any rolex. It's also networked and automatically adjusts to time zones.
well said.
Though I like having a wristwatch...easier to tell the time and very low risk of dropping it...But I'm satisfied with the best in engineering (Seiko) as opposed to the best in extravagance
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I'd say that trying to find a slightly better price is a smart thing to do. Regardless of it being only a few hundred dollars cheaper, that's a few hundred dollars that the buyer gets to keep. Most people with $$$ got that way by being smart with their money. Just because they are buying an "unnecessary extravagance" (your words, not mine) doesn't mean they should just pay MSRP and not shop around for a better deal, even if the amount is small.

Okay....?

A Kia will get you from point A to point B just the same as a Mercedes will, does that mean we should all drive Kias since they perform the same function?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by graraps
well said.
Though I like having a wristwatch...easier to tell the time and very low risk of dropping it...But I'm satisfied with the best in engineering (Seiko) as opposed to the best in extravagance
I like Seiko automatic/mechanical watches as well. Great performance. It doesn't have name-brand appeal outside of Japan, but at least it'll probably be stolen less than Rolex's (which are decent watches I admit). The Seiko Spirit line runs $300-450, and the Grand Seiko line is $2,000-$8,000.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Agree. Bahamas, St Thomas.

No tax, and about 5-10% off list.
Agreed, when i was in St.Thomas last year i picked up a Sub Mariner for 10% off and no tax. This was at the genuine rolex store, not one of the independants.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Song Tan, South Korea! I paid $15 for a Rolex there in 1990 and it still runs. I pull it out occasionally and wear it. The solid gold case seems to be losing its luster, but I'm sure that's natural...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.