Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I was looking to buy a breitling in Grand Cayman, where I was offered a pretty good deal at Kirk Freeport, however our family jeweler was able to order the one I wanted for a better price (in the USA). So look around, and see if someone will match the best quote you get.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Serge1977
I'll check out zurich, dubai and melbourne on my way down there. Probably the best chance is with melbourne due to favourable exchange rates ponds - aussie dollar.
I was in Switzerland last year and was excited at the prospect of better prices on nice watches. What I found were watch prices higher than in most U.S. cities; could have been the exchange rate. Either way, I would not put too much hope in finding a good deal in Switzerland.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:54 am

I totally agree with DrivingRain. Some had mentioned areas such as Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. I'd caution that fakes are rampant in these parts. Many times these copies are easily detected but some cases they are not. You also have to realize that the copied quality are much higher than what you would find in say NYC, however, they are still copies. Even a reputable looking store carries fakes. The copyright culture is very different.

Watches such as Rolex don't fluctuate much in their base price just because they're bought at different places. Of course, factors such as tax and exchange rate will differ and I think that's where most of the "price difference" comes from.

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Go to the most reputable place you know of that will stand behind its products and services. When I spend this much on a watch I dont look to save a few/several hundred upfront just to be disappointed later and have no one there to help. So avoid ebay and anywhere else where you either do not know the brand of the store well or do not know the people from a non-major brand well.

Tourneau is a good example of a solid store with a good selection and fairly knowledgable sales team. Some of the people in there really know there stuff while others are part-timers that are there just b/c they can't find a good job elsewhere. It's best to build a little relationship with one of their better career people and then you'll be taken care of in terms of quality of product & service for the long-term.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, BMI, flying dutchman, Hyatt
Originally Posted by res1968
I was in Switzerland last year and was excited at the prospect of better prices on nice watches. What I found were watch prices higher than in most U.S. cities; could have been the exchange rate. Either way, I would not put too much hope in finding a good deal in Switzerland.

Fair enough, so far it seems the US may be a decent shot. Thanks all!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cpx
Was it a mail-order or in-store purchase?

I'd be surprised if they would do a mail-order on a
Rolex.
In store. I tried on a whole series of watches before I settled on the one I liked. If you know New York, I went to the Tourneau on 57th & Madison. Actually, I wanted a sapphire face but all they had were black and champagne faces. So they had to have the watch shipped to me. So I had the watch shipped to NJ to avoid the taxes. I didn't even pay a shipping charge because they didn't have the watch in stock.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:28 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Analise
In store. I tried on a whole series of watches before I settled on the one I liked. If you know New York, I went to the Tourneau on 57th & Madison. Actually, I wanted a sapphire face but all they had were black and champagne faces. So they had to have the watch shipped to me. So I had the watch shipped to NJ to avoid the taxes. I didn't even pay a shipping charge because they didn't have the watch in stock.
Thats a sweet deal. Generally they would not mail-order a Rolex,
but I guess you got luck with the shipping thing
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:34 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Analise
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dannyr
Rolex in Melbourne might be a fairly good exchange rate for you, especially at the moment where $1AU = ~US$0.73.
I was in a Rolex store in Melbourne earlier this year and the sales guy told us how they get a lot of F1 personnel buying from them because of all the places they visit Melbourne is the cheapest. Of course this could all have been part of the sales pitch.

When I was shopping for a TAG Monaco I found the best price in Las Vegas.

Spike

Last edited by Funky Spike; Jun 22, 2006 at 1:46 am Reason: Add info
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
To resurect this thread:

before creating a new thread, I wonder if anyone has any tips on watch shops in Hong Kong for Breitling, Bell and Ross, etc. I am looking for a new watch, (40th birthday!) and will be in Hong Kong over that period. Also, in Shanghai. any thoughts about Shanghai as a place to buy such $$ things?!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China has a 30% luxury tax on top of other taxes, everyone in Shanghai buys theirs in HK.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
It is quite common for people buying higher price items in NYC to have it shipped out of state.

Even if you are just buying a pair of shoes for, e.g. $500, it would cost less to overnight it to the tri-state area than to pay the tax in NYC.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:28 pm

Hong Kong has no sales tax, thus making it a little cheaper than in the USA. Although, I'm not sure, but the Hong Kong stores may mark up prices to try to match the ones in the USA.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:39 pm

What is the current mark-up for a stainless steel Daytona?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I am living in Zurich right now. No particular bargains here for Rolex or other Swiss watches.

I agree that www.timezone.com is a great site to get a new or "lightly used watch.

Another good one is www.watchnet.com

There is also a lot of information there about the best Rolex Authorized dealers to by from in the US. I seem to remember that the best deals were to be had from a Rolex dealer in Florida. And having it shipped out of state will save you the sales tax. As you can also read on the forums, there are also advantages to buying from authorized dealers as opposed to non-authorized (gray market).

Good luck

fduvall

Originally Posted by nmenaker
so, historically singapore has been the best place for walk in and buy a rolex. Cheapest prices anywhere, even more so than the carribean.

In the past, when the euro was more reasonable, europe was fine compared to the US, AND in places like germany where the VAT was 16%, when you got all the VAT back then it was smokin'

today, since the euro is so high, historically so, I cannot imagine anywhere including home country switzerland would offer a reasonable price. It is nice to walk into a Wempe in germany though, get a watch and great service and get the 16% VAT back.

When I lived in Miami, there were many jewely shows where only licensed or retail jewelers were invited, and they had great deals on ALL watches, about 50% of retail and all certified of course, but you gotta find a jeweler to take you in. These shows are in most major cities throughout the year.

I would stay away from ebay, too risky, I have heard of too many scams.

checkout www.timezone.com and their forums, lots of great watch buyers, sellers and users there.

Last edited by fduvall; Jun 1, 2007 at 11:40 pm Reason: added info
Old Jun 2, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, American Airlines Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Dubai wouldn't be that cheap.....but, I would say Lebanon is probably a good bet. You too can reclaim the VAT ont he purchase.

Billman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.