Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Best place to buy a new / cheap / authentic Rolex

Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Australia thing is canard as it assumes that they would price things 1 to 1 which is the furthest from the truth. As for norway, the VAT is something like 23% which is what makes the rebate better as they try to price things almost the same as the rest of Europe. Singapore has not had good prices on things like this for a decade.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
If y know what u r doing then EBAY is the best place.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ebay is VERY dubious for this sort of thing, I would strongly suggest against it.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I got an amazing deal on a Rolex in of all places, London on one like this. Can't remember the name of the shop I bought from... it was some sort of chain as I'd seen several around London.

I purchased it when the exchange rate was at it's bleakest (1.94US$ to the ) in early 2004. The asking price was 9950 IIRC. I talked them down to 7800. Perhaps not the best price until one factors in VAT reclaim... Total price on the watch came out to 6435... net amount in USD, $12483.90. I know it's genuine as it's been off to Rolex service for cleaning, etc and a new band.

I wouldn't buy watches or jewelry off Ebay for anything. Far FAR too much fraud potential.

Last edited by kanebear; Jun 18, 2006 at 3:28 pm
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
FWIW, I remember reading an article of brands that are believed to be very high quality by consumers but when this "consumer-inflated" brand is stacked up against its peers, the inflated brand falls short in quality comparisons.

Two of the "consumer-inflated" brands from the article that stuck out in my mind were Rolex and Mercedes.

--
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
FWIW, I remember reading an article of brands that are believed to be very high quality by consumers but when this "consumer-inflated" brand is stacked up against its peers, the inflated brand falls short in quality comparisons.

Two of the "consumer-inflated" brands from the article that stuck out in my mind were Rolex and Mercedes.

--
Very true. Mercedes used to be much higher quality, they've gone downhill. Not sure about Rolex... I bought mine based upon it's appearance. I know there're FAR better watches out there, but none that looked like the one I have.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Though I've never bought a Rolex, I have shopped around for one. Prices in Geneva seem quite good (compared to Canada, anyway), particularly when you factor in the VAT refund and modest exchange rate advantage. Problem now is that precious metal prices have been rising, so the prices of certain high-end watches may have risen accordingly.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Originally Posted by hfly
Ebay is VERY dubious for this sort of thing, I would strongly suggest against it.
I said if you know what you are doing then EBAy is a good place.
If you think that a Rolex is a great buy at $100 then you r a looser
There is thousands of honest dealers on EBAY.
Always check seller feedback and Pay with either Paypal or CC
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Two of the "consumer-inflated" brands from the article that stuck out in my mind were Rolex and Mercedes
^ Most definitely.

Was looking for a nice watch for my birthday just over four years ago and at that time knew very little about watches. Decided to do a bit of swotting up and looking at various brands and Rolex was one I thought would be high up but is basically garbage nowadays and trading off the brand name. The Mercedes comparison certainly rings true here ^ There are some classic models such as the Daytona, Air King Date etc but I wouldn't ever purchase a new Rolex now.

When I was purchasing my watch I went to a fairly small dealer that dealt with quite a number of brands including Rolex, Cartier, Tag Heuer, Patek Phillipe, Breguet and Breitling. The guy I was dealing with even said he wouldn't sell me a Rolex unless I was insistent. The quality of workmanship nowadays is poor and many of the parts are made by outside contractors I went home with a Breitling and have added to my collection a year ago. I am aware of some problems with Breitlings of late but I would advise against buying a Rolex. It says I know nothing about watches but want to look flash. Sorry.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Hong Kong may be a good place to look as well. Not sure about Rolex specifically, but I know you can get Jaeger-LeCoultre at 40-50% off and Cartier at 20%+ off. Also, as you are coming from Europe, the HKD is pegged to the USD and is still cheap relative to Euros.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, QF Platinum and Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Serge1977
Any suggestions? I've found the US to be almost half the price of the UK (through exchange rates) but does anyone have any experience with this?

Much appreciated!

Serge
Welllllll, I picked up a very nice Mont Blanc in Beijing last month for $3, after a customs officer in India knocked off my genuine one with sleight of hand a few weeks earlier. They also had the full Rolex catalogue with different grades... I wasn't interested, but suspect a good genuine copy might cost $35.....
And twist in the tail of this post. I actually bought the genuine Mont Blanc a couple of weeks ago in Korea.... I just prefer having the real thing....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Fraser
I would advise against buying a Rolex. It says I know nothing about watches but want to look flash. Sorry.
Interesting opinion/judgment. I always find it a good idea to speak in absolutes, especially when it comes to matters of taste (watches, cars, airlines).

I was gifted a blue bezel submariner 8 years ago, and think it is an incredibly good looking watch. During the time I've owned it I've not had a single issue. The crystal is made of some kind of indestructible material. I've banged it against door knobs, walls, and god know what else. Each time winced and looked for a scratch, and found nothing.

I love it.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, BMI, flying dutchman, Hyatt
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Interesting opinion/judgment. I always find it a good idea to speak in absolutes, especially when it comes to matters of taste (watches, cars, airlines).

I was gifted a blue bezel submariner 8 years ago, and think it is an incredibly good looking watch. During the time I've owned it I've not had a single issue. The crystal is made of some kind of indestructible material. I've banged it against door knobs, walls, and god know what else. Each time winced and looked for a scratch, and found nothing.

I love it.
Was looking for a Oyster perpetual (metal band and housing) or air king, and would have to agree about speaking in absolutes.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Serge
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I bought mine tax free from Tourneau (at that time, by shipping it to NJ, I avoided the tax). I financed it over 24 months without interest as long as I paid on time which I did.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:43 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
From my experience, I'd have to say Hong Kong would be the best place to buy a Rolex. I have a very simple Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King. I saved over 30% of what I would of paid in the USA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.