Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone prefer a middle seat?

Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

On a wide body Boeing 747- traveling internationally, I checked in late and was given a middle seat in the section with 5 seats across. It was miserable and I felt closed in and claustrophobic the entire time. It was the longest nine hours in my life!

I see people sitting in the middle seat on that flight all the time and wonder if they are as miserable as I was. Or maybe it does not bother them at all.

What are your feelings about a middle seat on long international flights?

Last edited by greenery; Jul 24, 2006 at 7:53 am
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Only between 2 supermodels.

Reminds me of the time we were living in the CLT area and had a significant snowfall. My son was cooking at Hooters at the time and called in to say he wouldn't be able to drive the 15 miles to work. His boss asked if he was willing to work if a ride was provided and he said yes. 30 minutes later a Mustang full of Hooters girls pulled up the street and my son took his spot on someone's lap - a middle seat I wouldn't have turned down either.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hate it, but would consider it if flying with 2 or more friends/relatives. Don't feel as bad about having to climb over them. But yes, it is very claustrophic.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I particularly recall a short-lived television commercial in the United States that was produced by a computer company (perhaps Macintosh?) which featured a young man who preferred middle seats on airplanes. It was a clever spin on airline travel and I am certain that a thorough Google search will produce a video file.

I do not mind middle seats on any flights, particularly if I was in a desperate situation (for example, going standby in a large crowd of maniacal European holiday-goers).
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:31 am

I flew exit row middle on an airline where I don't have status, which was actually preferable to the window seat they wanted to give me where my knees were against the seat in front of me and I couldn't cross my legs or really maneuver at all. So I guess it's all relative - the middle seat in that instance was great, even though the guy to my left was huge but at least I had a little leg room.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: NW, MR SE,
I've seen people reserve a middle seat of 4 or 5 wide seating on an international flight and initially sit in the adjoining seat during boarding. I subsequently figured out the person was hoping to claim both the seat he was sitting in and his assigned seat so he can spread out during flight. In one instance, I've seen someone successfully claim three seats where the armrest moves to claim three seats to lay down and sleep during the long TPAC flight.
So if your plan is this, then I guess you might prefer a middle seat. Before I do this for myself, I better have good knowledge of the load factor of the flight and the seat assignment configuration.

HJ
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sure - on a packed flight where I'm trying to get on as a standby, I would much rather have an E+ middle than an E- window. Exit row middles on many airlines are better than windows in other rows. Bulkhead middles can vary too widely - I don't ask for them unless I'm really certain that I know the specific configuration for the aircraft in question. (Which I usually don't because by definition this happens on airlines that I don't usually fly.)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
I don't like the middle seat either. Its too tight to be comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:44 am

If all there was left was a middle seat regardless
of three or five row configuration I still would
not take it. If I were assigned that seat I would
rather skip the flight and buy a new ticket.
Any coach seat at any airline is enough to make
you feel constricted on any length flight.
But to imagine sitting in the middle with everybody
in front of you with their seat backs in your face
and both left and right side passengers sleeping
leaving me locked in is enough to give me the creeps.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
On a 3-3 narrowbody I'll generally book aisle for myself and window for my wife. If someone comes along to claim the middle I'll generally offer the aisle seat to that person and move to the middle. Not my preference but it's less hassle all around than holding a conversation across the front of the 3rd passenger the whole flight.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
Sure, I LOVE middle seats...

But, then again, I also like the straps on my straightjacket to be tied left to right, instead of right to left.

But, if I have to sit in a middle seat, I pray it's in the exit row! Atleast on the AA flights I take, the E-rows tend to have full seat dividers. That is, you don't rub thighs with the person next to you.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:52 pm
PD

Awful in the 5-across configuration, but preferable to a window seat in the
3-3 configuration. The fewer people one has to crawl over, the better.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by pdhenry
On a 3-3 narrowbody I'll generally book aisle for myself and window for my wife. If someone comes along to claim the middle I'll generally offer the aisle seat to that person and move to the middle. Not my preference but it's less hassle all around than holding a conversation across the front of the 3rd passenger the whole flight.
This is called "Unite the couple" and has been successfully used many many times by many many flyers on Southwest flights to get an aisle seat.

While I like the 2-5-2 config in that if you're sitting in one of the '2' seats, you don't have a middle seat, but I HATE the 5 across seating. So in general, I would much rather prefer a 3-3-3 config, even though the number of middle seats in 2-5-2 is the same.

The 2-5-2 config originated in a very interested way (for those that don't know).

On L1011 planes, the config was 2-2[cabinet for carry-ons]2-2.

The airlines got smart and removed the cabinet, adding a seat. So now the L1011 planes had 2-5-2 with very limited overhead storage.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
No way! Aisle is my preference but I'll take a window seat over a middle seat.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:49 am

no middle seat for me. i don't want the feeling of being hemmed in..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.