Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Worst and Best Airports to transfer through

Old May 1, 2006, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver

We have been going through Heathrow a lot recently and I am finding it to be one of the busiest, dirtiest, ineffecient airports to go through. Security going from terminal to terminal is a nightmare - are they all getting to be this way?
Old May 1, 2006, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bruiser
We have been going through Heathrow a lot recently and I am finding it to be one of the busiest, dirtiest, ineffecient airports to go through. Security going from terminal to terminal is a nightmare - are they all getting to be this way?
Flying KBP-Vienna-JFK on Austrian was easy... Come in from KBP, walk out the gate, walk into the very next one for the JFK flight.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:58 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Heathrow is a nightmare. The easyest that I have transfered in was Hong Kong. I have found that even Narita was easy, it could just take a little longer.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
CDG has been troublesome since the collapse in terminal 2E and the routing of many TATL flights to the trailer park on the edge of the airport property.

The airport is clean and pleasant, but the bus and waiting game to get to the clean and pleasant parts of the airport can easily consume one hour after touchdown and one hour leading up to departure time.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:11 pm
Suspended

This is a difficult question which varies based on your circumstances. In general, one terminal airports are easier to transfer. Airports with more than one terminal but with the buildings connected or with fast trains connecting them aren't bad.

Some airports are served by one large airline so if there is a problem, there are no other airlines to pick up the slack. US Airways is a fine airline (reasonably ok) and CLT is an easy to transfer airport. However, if your flight is cancelled, there might not be another airline going to the same place.

In my opinion, Singapore is a nice place to transfer. In the US, CLT isn't bad but note the caveat above. SFO and SEA are nice, too. DCA is nice only because you can visit a museum if you have time to spare....just in, rush to see a few things, then back to the airport. Glasgow is a bit spartan but I've connected there before....ditto for Malaga.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
I am replying to my own post, but I was actually referring to international airports - although I am happy to hear about the domestic ones as well. One place we may all agree is a nightmare domestically is Miami!
Old May 1, 2006, 2:08 pm

Any airport in India...'nuff said.
Old May 1, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
My experiences:

Best 3:

Singapore
Hong Kong
Zurich

Worst 3:

Newark
Los Angeles
Heathrow

Oh, and of course any int'l to int'l transfer in the US.
Old May 1, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K 2.9MM HH Diamond, BonVoy GLD Life
Connecting in Intl Airports.

Hello All:

Let's see:

1. CDG: a total nightmare, especially with the bus in and bus out, depending on which terminal you land at. If you happen to be there at around noon to 100PM, you catch all the traffic headed out to the African capitals. The lines to stamp your passport and security can be endless, with the rudest people on Earth trying to topple you to get in front. YOU CAN HAVE IT!!!

2. MAD: Old and small. It is a good thing that Iberia has moved to the brand new Terminal 4. This is a much nicer place than the rest of the airport. At Terminals 1, 2 and 3, you most definitely will have a nice long walk in any instance of a connection. This airport is very short of escalators and elevators, so be prepared to go up and down stairways. Not too bad on connection times, though. It is easy to go through Customs and security.
Beware if flying Coach or not being an elite in a FFP. You will face LOOOOONG check-in lines, as in most of Europe.

3. MEX: Way in over its head on passenger handling. Although the check-in lines are not bad, the wait in security can be long, as can be to get your bag or if you come in from South America. The South America fllight passengers are directed to a baggage claim and security that has ONLY ONE Customs inspection station when it is time for you to get bags and get out. You can wait a LOOOONG time to take off at MEX. Connecting can be a breeze as well as an adventure.

4. SCL: The best airport in Latin America. A breeze to check-in, arrive and connect. Plus, a very pleasant, well-lit and decorated airport with a fair amount of facilities.

5. CCS: Talk about long lines for ANYTHING!!!! Arrive here at least 3 hours before your flight.

6. GRU: It has gotten better for getting in and out. Connecting intl to intl can be bad. I have seen very long lines at security for passengers coming from other countries and going to other countries (EZE/GRU/MIA), for example.

7. PTY: Getting better every day. The construction is annoying and you can get stuck climbing 2 flights of stairs in and out of your airplane. When it is done, it will be fairly efficient to get in and out. It is now a good one to connect.

Here's my list of nuke 'em and start from scratch:

a. SJO (Boy do I hate this one, even after re-modeling it is still crap).
b. GUA
c. TGU
d. BGI
e. MGA
f. UIO
g. CLO
h. ASU
i. MVD

That is it for now.
Old May 1, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
Originally Posted by seat 50J
US Airways is a fine airline (reasonably ok) and CLT is an easy to transfer airport. However, if your flight is cancelled, there might not be another airline going to the same place. ... In the US, CLT isn't bad but note the caveat above.
I agree. With the one central atrium connecting all the concourses, you can make a domestic connection in under a half-hour from B16 to E21. If you're staying in Terminal C, EWR isn't that bad either, though you have to deal with CO's constant gate changes without announcements.
Old May 1, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Best:

CPH
ZRH
DXB

Worst:

For international flights - pretty much any large US airport
LHR (if you are not doing T4 or have to do TATL/EU)
CDG
Old May 1, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
AMS is right at the top of my list, well marked, museum in the airport to keep you interested, and fantastic transportation - train station in the basement.

LHR is the worst I can think of due to the inter-terminal transportation and the security procedures.

CDG, not one of my favourites.

Out of curiosity, have they cleaned up the collapsed terminal at CDG yet? I flew through about 18 months ago and was amazed that they appeared not to have even picked up any rubble. Ongpoing investigation I suppose. Not sure when it happened but it was some time before that. What a PITA. The business lounge was a screened off section of concourse due to the damage. (Yes I know, poor me had to fly business. It was AF mind you, so perhaps just a little sympathy is in order.)
Old May 1, 2006, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Any airport where you have to change terminals by bus.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Worst: Heathrow, Heathrow and Heathrow for the reasons listed above. "Worst" not only includes any airport where a bus is involved, but any where you have no alternative but to get dumped outsode the "secure" area and thus have to go through "security" again. See Heathrow...OK, I'll stop ranting now.

Best- ZRH- we went through only once but were impressed. "Best" includes any airport where you can manage to stay inside the secure area when connecting.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
Good overall:
HKG-Hong Kong, TPE- Taipei, CVG-Cincinnati, DTW-Detroit
Decent: KIX-Osaka (although not much choice in food & you have to go through security)
Good only when you're connecting in the same terminal:
EWR-Newark (most Continental flights)
crowded & big, but not too bad:
ATL-Atlanta, IAH-Houston

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.