Worst and Best Airports to transfer through

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst and Best Airports to transfer through

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by wittingm
DEN is OK, and I sorta like DFW for some reason.
I like DFW, too, and I think there are two main reasons:
1) With the new train, the worst case time between gates is like 20 minutes. Not bad at all!
2) I like "arc-shaped" terminals better than "long pier" terminals because the longest walk is fairly short.

Here's my CDG story: A few years back, I was connecting from a domestic AF flight to a TWA flight to STL. The domestic flight was late, making the connection very tight. Of course, I had to ride the bus outside of security between terminals. There wasn't much chance of making the connection anyway, but any hope was eliminated by the shuttle bus driver, who was clearly in no rush at all. He stopped a few times to chat with different toll booth operators, delivered a newspaper to a buddy somewhere, and generally took it easy. We ended up being passed by the next bus! I believe I spent over 45 minutes on that bus...
Old May 3, 2006, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
CDG (where singage isn't even a thought,) LHR, DEL, MEX, CAI just off the top of my head... and MIA.

^ ZRH, DFW, HKG, BRU is OK...
Old May 3, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My turn

I'm probably not as well-traveled as a lot of you, but . . .

PIT is a fantastic airport. Too bad it's not a hub for anybody anymore. It's perfect for connections: that X-shaped terminal is very efficient, and it's not too big either.

I agree that transferring from intl. at EWR is a pain, as is JFK. (PIT was as smooth as silk, back when they still had intl. flights.)

I've never understood all the praise for AMS. It's fine, but not THAT great. I guess it's in comparison to LHR and CDG? My one experience at FRA was crazy--I thought I'd NEVER get to my other flight. That was actually one of the gnarliest transfers I've ever done.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
It's funny to read how much people hate LHR. It's bad, I guess, but all my international travel is leisure and I fly oneworld 99% of the time. So I go through LHR all the time and when I do, I'm always going someplace fun. I have such positive mental associations with the place that I'm always happy to be there. I hope the pain everyone else experiences at LHR never pierces the anesthesia of my "travel buzz."
Old May 4, 2006, 7:47 pm

My Picks

Best:

DEN
HKG
SIN

Worst:

JFK
LAX
MIA
Old May 4, 2006, 9:02 pm

Hate LHR. Always fly into Gatwick, no matter what kind of plane I have to take.

Love CLT, SFO, and don't even find ATL all that bad.

Hate all the airports I've used in NY and NJ. They're just too damned big and overcrowded.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
It's funny to read how much people hate LHR. It's bad, I guess, but all my international travel is leisure and I fly oneworld 99% of the time. So I go through LHR all the time and when I do, I'm always going someplace fun. I have such positive mental associations with the place that I'm always happy to be there. I hope the pain everyone else experiences at LHR never pierces the anesthesia of my "travel buzz."

LHR does have a good english-language bookstore in the terminal with AA, not to mention one can purchase some good tea there. Plus, I always get a good run in as I sprint from my late European connecting flight to security (and then to the AA gate after the bus) on my way back to the US! The plus side is that when your Euro feeder flight is really late, they let you skip to the front of the 3-block-long security line...

-Hayden
Old May 5, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by davidcalgary29
SFO, for confusing connecting passengers with a lack of proper signage; I was especially nonplussed that there was nothing posted indicating that T2 is currently closed for renovations. I also almost missed my connecting flight YYC-SBA after being advised, by a gate agent, that "T3 was just a 5 minute stroll" from T1.
Hmm...T3 is a 5-minute stroll from T1! But perhaps you were sidetracked into T2? I think there's an infirmary or post office facilities or something there now?

-Hayden
Old May 5, 2006, 10:50 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Best ones:
AMS
SIN
JFK (some may say its bad, but I've figured it out pretty
good. Easy for me)

Worst ones:
LHR
LAX
DEL
CGD (Terminal E was not so bad)
DXB (its rated one of the best all over, but
its just too big for a quick transfer
in my openion its not that great)
Old May 5, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
man - with all of these heathrow is the worst - i cant wait to my virgin flight lands and i go t3 to t1 - should be loads of fun!!!
Old May 5, 2006, 6:45 pm

All I know about Heathrow is a lot of people have fights there. Snoop Dogg had a big fight in Heathrow last week and got arrested. Diana Ross had a fight there as well. A couple of other famous people have also been involved in brawls with security people at Heathrow.

Have you ever noticed those signs they have at Heathrow warning passengers not to assault security staff? I've never seen signs like that at any other airport.
Old May 5, 2006, 8:17 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by allen074
man - with all of these heathrow is the worst - i cant wait to my virgin flight lands and i go t3 to t1 - should be loads of fun!!!
dont worry.. its not so bad. we just hate it.. thats all.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA GS
Best

ICN

Worst

LAX
Old May 7, 2006, 5:01 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
ok - here is my report on LHR transfer from Term3 to Term1

Left Virgin Lounge and began my walk to Term1 -- took about 20 mins I believe. I went straight to BA fast bag drop and was told I was too early! So I stood there about 20 mins watching masses of people go towards security thinking what fun I will have.

I checked in my bag (she said nothing about weight or my 2 carryons). I proceeded to security and timed it. From walking on line to the point when I was through was 9 minutes. Seemed to move orderly and so forth.

The terminal is wack tho. Why do they only tell you the gate 40 mins in advance and then on the ticket it shows you have 20 mins to make it thru the gate. Also - why is there another security checkpoint? Why not just have the security by the gate?

Everything was smooth tho from the mass of people in the terminal I can imagine what a normal day must be like.
Old May 7, 2006, 2:28 pm

PIT is usually at the endpoints of my trips but if it wasn't thats were I would want to connect. Plenty of places to eat, shop, or relax. All the gates are close and when US had international flights there it wouldn't be difficult to connect international to domestic or vise versa. Also when the commuter gates were open I couldn't see it taking more than 15 min to get from the E gates to the airside terminal gates.

DTW-easy connections

PHL-I hate connecting there because you never know how long your gonna have to wait on the tarmac to take off. But for 49 bucks it'll be worth the wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.