Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 23, 06, 6:50 pm   #1

Medication and Crossing Time Zones

I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who are on medications long term. If, for example, you normally take your medication at 7am daily, how do you adjust, or do you adjust, the time you at which take this medication when taking a trip that crosses 6 or more time zones?

I'd like to hear from diabetics, high blood pressure people, asthmatics on meds, people on thyroid replacement hormones, etc, etc. I've often wondered about this
bluewatersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 06, 9:25 pm   #2

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I take a thyroid medication daily. I just try to remember to take it on the journey to somewhere. Once I'm in the new destination, I usually start it at the same time daily. If I'm on an overseas flight, I usually take my med on an empty stomach after sleeping a few hours. Mine isn't such a bad problem that missing (or mis-timing) a dose will affect me adversely. I would also be interested to know how others do it.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 06, 9:26 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K
There are only a few categories of medications that have to be kept at a very steady level to be effective and safe. Anticoagulants, anti-seizure medications, and insulin come to mind. Other than these, just using common-sense should be OK and you're not likely to get into any trouble.

(n.b., my list is not exhaustive.)
schwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 06, 9:30 pm   #4

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I have always attempted to take my meds at the same time every day. So, if I was taking something at 7am every morning in Seattle, when I am Paris working, I will take it in the afternoon.
Old Apr 23, 06, 9:47 pm   #5
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!

Programs: DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook
I take a thyroid medication daily. I just try to remember to take it on the journey to somewhere. Once I'm in the new destination, I usually start it at the same time daily. If I'm on an overseas flight, I usually take my med on an empty stomach after sleeping a few hours. Mine isn't such a bad problem that missing (or mis-timing) a dose will affect me adversely. I would also be interested to know how others do it.
I also must take a thyroid replacement daily. Most of my long haul flights are from LAX/CDG and are overnight flights. I'll take my medication with juice with the breakfast service. I'll continue this practice while I'm away. I know I should be taking the thyroid on an empty stomach but I don't eat much breakfast.
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 06, 11:50 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: 10 min from the best cheesesteak in Philly... but dreaming of BKK
Programs: AA gold
I just take them the next AM.... even if it's a little bit 'sooner' or later...
Old Apr 24, 06, 6:33 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I think what the OP is asking isn't about when to take medicine in the new place, but how to do the transition.

For example, Hong Kong is 12 hours ahead of New York. To keep taking a particular medicine in the morning, say 7am, one can do either of two things ONCE: stretch to 36 hours between taking it, or cut it to 12 hours. Same thing coming back.

Or do the adjustment over 2-3 days. So, instead of doing 36 hours, then 24 hours; one may time it to take after 30 hours, then another 30 hours. Or instead of 12, then 24; one can do 18 and 18.

It's an interesting question. One may want to ask his/her doctor or pharmacist about it. It will depend on the medicine as well.
rkkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 06, 10:00 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.85MM). BA Silver, DL GM and Flying Colonel
My doc sez that, for my low dosage of thyroid replacement, it doesn't much matter. I take one sometime in each waking cycle - generally in the morning while I'm at home, but otherwise whenever.

With other meds, as noted in a prior post, it's a bigger deal.
Efrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 06, 10:10 am   #9
Original Member

I take a long lasting insulin at night. When I planning a trip of three or more time zones, I start a few days early by moving my injection either forward or backward one hour a day until I'm on or close to local time at my destination.

This has worked well for me for several years.

Last edited by Larrude; Apr 24, 06 at 7:16 pm.
Larrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 06, 10:15 am   #10

I need to be on an every-24-hr schedule, so I set my watch alarm to beep; that works very well.
sylvia hennesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 06, 7:56 pm   #11

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
I've been told by my pharmacist that quinilone antibiotics taken once every 24 hours shouldn't be moved up earlier than 2 or 3 hours.....this may apply to other medications as well. Also, I've found it easier to keep track of the times you take your pills if you don't change your watch until sometime later in the day on which you arrive.
VA747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 06, 8:34 pm   #12
jhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarm
There are only a few categories of medications that have to be kept at a very steady level to be effective and safe. Anticoagulants, anti-seizure medications, and insulin come to mind.
With these, should one take it at the same time every day, i.e. if warfarin is taken at 18:00 UTC normally, should it be taken at that time (18:00 UTC) regardless of travel to a new time zone ?
jhm is offline   Reply With Quote