Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok buns... all the rage now...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Bangkok buns... all the rage now...

There was a BIG FULL PAGE article in the English language Bangkok Post last week about some bakery in Bangkok that was making these supposedly delicious buns, a little similiar to Cinabuns, and people in Bangkok were lining up for an hour or two just to buy them...

So I went to have a look myself... yes, there was a big line... and some clever person bought a whole bunch, and set up a stand on the sidewalk outside the bakery, where they were selling the buns, with NO WAITING, for double the price. And there was a line there too.

I don't know why, but it made me laugh...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Probably Rotiboy

It's originally from Malaysia. And the lines are indeed long ~ 30-40 minutes for the one opposite Siam Square

Never had one and don't think I will line up for 30 minutes for one.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: PC
Standing in an outdoor queue in Bangkok for 30+ minutes (especially at this time of the year) is pure madness, there's no bun on this planet worth that.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
This description of people lining up to get these Bangkok buns reminds me of the initial craziness that surrounded Krispy Kreme donuts at the height of its popularity .

But I'm sure these buns are lots better, right?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tide
Probably Rotiboy

It's originally from Malaysia. And the lines are indeed long ~ 30-40 minutes for the one opposite Siam Square

Never had one and don't think I will line up for 30 minutes for one.
That's the one, Rotiboy... and I know they already have some imitators in the large supermarket chains...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:39 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by tide
Probably Rotiboy
They used to be very popular in Singapore, too. Now they are closing all their outlets as nobody buys them anylonger.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:38 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
They used to be very popular in Singapore, too. Now they are closing all their outlets as nobody buys them anylonger.
Saw one in a mall in SIN last week and my wife was telling me how people are going crazy in BKK over them. I thought the store in SIN was getting ready to open...guess it was maybe closing down.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Well, Bangkok has always been known as a place to sample some cheap buns...
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO, Hilton & Marriott
I almost died of the heat when I went in September. Can't imagine what would be worth waiting that long for in the heat now. I would go at night if I had nothing better to do though...
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
naughty, naughty

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Well, Bangkok has always been known as a place to sample some cheap buns...
But it's also typical that some enterprising Thai (insert here also any other nationality) would sell a competitor's products in hot demand at a scalper's price!

... although those 70 baht dinners from street vendors seem un-spendy enough... ^
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:19 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jef7
This description of people lining up to get these Bangkok buns reminds me of the initial craziness that surrounded Krispy Kreme donuts at the height of its popularity .
You should see all the TG flight staff lined up at SYD for the Krispy Kreme donuts. They buy 5-6 boxes of 12 donuts and take them on the plane to take home. I warned them that if there was too long of a delay we were digging in.

Originally Posted by dcutcher
But it's also typical that some enterprising Thai (insert here also any other nationality) would sell a competitor's products in hot demand at a scalper's price!
They aren't competing. He's a downstream distributor. The shop owner is still making the same revenue.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
In December 04, BreadTalk was pretty huge in CGK (Jakarta), and to a lesser extent in SIN. I must say that the baked goods there were pretty delicious - much better than the baked goods we find in the US. My wife and I even kicked around the idea of opening a BreadTalk franchise in HOU. The BKK phenomenon sounds reminiscent of when KKs would open in new cities here in the US. Backlash is inevitable and will be brutal; hope the bakery owners put away their money now for when their fad fades.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
The Rotiboy on Silom (near CP Tower) also has long lines almost every time I have walked past... the one time there was no line was in the middle of an afternoon thunderstorm... I almost stopped to try one, just to see what all the excitement was about, but just kept trying to duck the raindrops...

Some day, I will have to try one.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I'm not surprised the Rotiboy's have all closed down in Singapore, they're decent enough if you have one from time to time, but they're not *that* special (and don't even think about eating one after it's gone cold, it starts tasting pretty ordinary then). Definitely a boom and bust kind of offering unless they expand their range quickly. Breadtalk on the other hand, methinks will survive somewhat longer (last time I was in Jakarta over Christmas the lines were still there at any of the outlets I went to).
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Basic human instinct: if all of those people are lining up for something, it must be worth the wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.