Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

3am hotel check-in: book night before or day of?

Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:04 am
JMR
Original Poster

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors

When you land at 2 am and will be at the hotel by 3 am, do you book your stay to start the night before or just for the day of your arrival.

Certainly the hotel would like the extra revenue, but I've had hotels cancel my rez when I didn't check in before midnight.

Certainly I would like to avoid the extra night charge.

Any thoughts, strategies?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You'd need to book the night before. Even though you arrive at 3am.. you are basically not entitled to check in until the scheduled check in time.

The hotel has every right to refuse you to check in... till maybe 9am at the earliest.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: UA1P
A hotel "day" is typically 3pm (or so) to noon (or so) the next day.

If you are checking in late, definitely make a note of that on the reservation and (if they have it) check the "late check-in" box.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:01 am

I would also call the front desk the day of and reconfirm that they know you will be checking in very late. The last thing you want is to be walked at 3am.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:39 pm

Depends on the property / time of year.

In Fiji we were allowed a very early checkin...they are used to it and it was the OFF season.

We were prepared to sit around as alternative.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends. Some places like SIN I would just visit the SQ lounge for a nap until a more reasonable hour and then head to the hotel. Others I book the night before (and make sure hotel knows it will be very late check in).

Most times I want to get some sleep, not have hassle of waiting in hotel lobby or wandering the streets until allowed to check in.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:27 pm

You never know how they will handle it...

I made a 'night before' reservation at the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale. 100% prepaid so that we could check in at 7 a.m. after a red-eye and not risk having to wait 4-5 hours. I also called the hotel ahead of time to confirm with them that we would be arriving at that time. We had a two-night prepaid reservation so that we could check in @ 7 a.m. for our one-night stay.

Still a mess at check in. They had no idea what I was talking about. Said I didn't have a reservation for the day before and there were no available rooms. Big hassle and half hour to check in ~~ even though I prepaid an extra night to avoid this situation Very very disappointing in spite of preplanning.

Bottom line -- you need the 'night before' reservation if you want to be positive you can check in at 3 a.m.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Just this week, I checked into the Hyatt Cambridge, MA at 3:00 AM on Wednesday morning, March 22. But my reservation was for Tuesday, March 21. I had an e-mail from a sales manager confirming that I would be arriving at 3:00 AM and even called the front desk on Tuesday afternoon to confirm that I would be arriving at 3:00 AM. Got to the hotel and everything was fine.

When I checked out, they charged me my regular one night plus a night's rate as a no show. I got it straightened out, but just goes to show that even with all the prep and planning, the hotel could still screw up with a late night arrival.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by tonypct
Just this week, I checked into the Hyatt Cambridge, MA at 3:00 AM on Wednesday morning, March 22. But my reservation was for Tuesday, March 21. I had an e-mail from a sales manager confirming that I would be arriving at 3:00 AM and even called the front desk on Tuesday afternoon to confirm that I would be arriving at 3:00 AM. Got to the hotel and everything was fine.

When I checked out, they charged me my regular one night plus a night's rate as a no show. I got it straightened out, but just goes to show that even with all the prep and planning, the hotel could still screw up with a late night arrival.
Same thing happened to me at the Sheraton Reston. I am still fighting it. So make sure that your check out folio shows a $0 balance.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Two weeks ago I arrived to IC in Rio around 5AM and was not charged any extra. As a RA I have the benefit of guaranteed 8AM check in anyway.

Last year I checked in to Hilton BA around 6AM without any problems.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:27 am

I would call the hotel and find out the policy.

Last time I did this I got into Kuala Lumpur at 4 am, but didn't actually get to the hotel until around 7:30 but I had booked the night before and made a note of it on my reservation. I forgot that you still have to deal with baggage, immigration, customs, and teh airport transfer, which is 1 hr. Next time I go, I plan to book the day of and just have breakfast at the hotel while I wait for my room....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.