Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dress code in airport lounges. Anyone ever booted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC

One of my posts and some of the responses in the "Cheater/Security Line" thread had me wondering about something. Is there really a dress code at airport lounges. This link to the RCC T&C says, "Customers must dress in keeping with good taste and in consideration of the Club atmosphere and its membership." Do they really have a dress code, or is this just put in there in case there's an extreme situation where they have to kick out someone. (Like someone looking and smelling like bum like a guy in one of the early "Airline" episodes.)

From what I've gathered, t-shirts, jeans, shorts, and sandals are obviously allowed. A sweat suit is allowed too. (While I was comfortable with a Metallica shirt and jeans, I was too embarassed to wear sweat pants and an old t-shirt, but I guess some people do it.) What is not allowed? Are tank tops, sports bras, daisy dukes, swimming trunks allowed? Has anyone ever seen anyone kicked out of a lounge for inproper attire.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:54 pm

I posted something similar to this in the LH thread, regarding the LH FCT. Since that is the most premium of lounges, and folks have still showed up in t-shirts/jeans/track suits/etc..., I presume that you cannot be booted from a lounge for dress.

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
One of my posts and some of the responses in the "Cheater/Security Line" thread had me wondering about something. Is there really a dress code at airport lounges. This link to the RCC T&C says, "Customers must dress in keeping with good taste and in consideration of the Club atmosphere and its membership." Do they really have a dress code, or is this just put in there in case there's an extreme situation where they have to kick out someone. (Like someone looking and smelling like bum like a guy in one of the early "Airline" episodes.)

From what I've gathered, t-shirts, jeans, shorts, and sandals are obviously allowed. A sweat suit is allowed too. (While I was comfortable with a Metallica shirt and jeans, I was too embarassed to wear sweat pants and an old t-shirt, but I guess some people do it.) What is not allowed? Are tank tops, sports bras, daisy dukes, swimming trunks allowed? Has anyone ever seen anyone kicked out of a lounge for inproper attire.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
"I'm sorry Ms. Klum, but you're not allowed to be in here in just a bra, angel wings, and thong..."
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
"I'm sorry Ms. Klum, but you're not allowed to be in here in just a bra, angel wings, and thong..."
LOL
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead

I would feel in Europe they would be more interested in enforcing the dress code, state side I am sure they would let any valid memeber in, until possibly someone else complained. Although most people dont really travel in swimming trunks..

-Vincent
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The only evidence I've seen of any dress code in effect in Europe is in the Servicair lounges in MAN where they don't allow baseball caps.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
The only evidence I've seen of any dress code in effect in Europe is in the Servicair lounges in MAN where they don't allow baseball caps.
Hooray! Especially if they are worn with the bill off to the side or backwards ^
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
In the early 80's I was actually not allowed into an Admirals Club because I was wearing shorts! Don't remember which one other than it was in Florida either MCO or MIA.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I've seen people get turned away from QF domestic clubs (QP) while wearing thongs. That is, the sandal kind, to you foreigners. Admittedly, this was in BNE.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Just checking . . . about club attire?

Am reviving this thread because I want some recent feedback . . . frankly -- I haven't set a foot in any carrier's lounge for over 7 years. Belonged to TW Ambassadors Club for years, but never joined AA Admiral after purchase. Have been in CO President's a couple times with a colleague, but dressed in business attire.

Fly FC/Biz several times a year mostly on AA for work or leisure and I know anything goes in the aircraft FC cabin now. Shorts, flips, T's in the summer are no prob. See them all the time. . .But. . .

Vacation trip on AA in a couple weeks. Flying FC. Have a long layover at ORD so I want to check out Admiral's Club. We will be in nice shorts, casual shirt with collar, and sandals, or leather flips. Is that going to be a prob at ORD Admiral's Club?

Apologize in this is in wrong forum. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
Vacation trip on AA in a couple weeks. Flying FC. Have a long layover at ORD so I want to check out Admiral's Club. We will be in nice shorts, casual shirt with collar, and sandals, or leather flips. Is that going to be a prob at ORD Admiral's Club?
Absolutely no problem. So long as you are clean and polite, you won't have any issues.

I always fly in yoga pants and a t-shirt. Never had an issue, even in Flagship Lounges. Have seen people in shorts tons of times.

Have a fun vacation
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
As long its respectable wear.. and decent.. not smelly..

How can anybody reasonable not be allowed to stay in the lounge?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
I always figured it was a just-in-case sort of rule, to give them the latitude to show someone the door if they arrived at the club in no state to be around other people.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thank you for sharing recent experiences. Just wanted to make sure there was not an issue with guys in shorts and sandals. I assumed there was no longer a strict dress code in any airline's "club" (US carrier at least), but wanted to spare the embarassment of being turned away at the door or purchasing a "day pass" in advance and not being able to use it. Thanks again.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
Thank you for sharing recent experiences. Just wanted to make sure there was not an issue with guys in shorts and sandals. I assumed there was no longer a strict dress code in any airline's "club" (US carrier at least), but wanted to spare the embarassment of being turned away at the door or purchasing a "day pass" in advance and not being able to use it. Thanks again.
+1..

I'll be in shorts and sandals within 10 days maybe trying out a lounge in HOU and CUN.. Hopefully, this is acceptable vacation wear..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.