Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dress code in airport lounges. Anyone ever booted?

Dress code in airport lounges. Anyone ever booted?

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by rofly
Why do some ladies wear extremely high-heeled shoes when they fly? At least with flip flops you can kick them off and run barefoot. I never wear flip flops or sandals because my feet get freezing cold on the plane.
Notice the "no high heels" warning on many safety briefing cards. I assume this is to avoid puncturing the inflatable slides:

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
This doesn't strictly count as getting booted, but I got caught holding a Presidents Club membership under the age of 21 when I was dressed in casual street wear.

I normally travelled for business and nobody ever batted an eye. (FWIW, I never engaged in underage drinking at the open bar.)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Trapezeus
the signs also say no food or drink allowed in the club. and just this week, i brought macdonalds into two different AA lounges in dallas without anyone saying anything. i didn't have the time to wait for the slow service to come over and ask me what i wanted to eat and wait for it to get delivered.
I think those rules are primarily there so that they can police people bringing in overwhelmingly fragrant food. Consider 3-hour-old pad Thai, for example.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:10 pm

I would like to know what "good taste" really means when it comes to airline lounge dress codes.

Several months ago, I saw a woman who wore a very low-cut top and a super-short skirt. I don't want to get too graphical, but the low-cut top revealed more than 70 percent of her "assets" not that I was looking or anything.

I'm sure she would have been booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for sure. However, this was on American Airlines (Flagship Lounge)
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ovaldisk
I would like to know what "good taste" really means when it comes to airline lounge dress codes.

Several months ago, I saw a woman who wore a very low-cut top and a super-short skirt. I don't want to get too graphical, but the low-cut top revealed more than 70 percent of her "assets" not that I was looking or anything.

I'm sure she would have been booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for sure. However, this was on American Airlines (Flagship Lounge)
Hard to boot a paying customer..

I can see the lounge providing acceptable borrowed wear for the visit.. but to kick them out based on non-compliance would make anyone upset..

Maybe a sports coat should be lent out in Airline colors to make it more fashionable..
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Hard to boot a paying customer..

I can see the lounge providing acceptable borrowed wear for the visit.. but to kick them out based on non-compliance would make anyone upset..

Maybe a sports coat should be lent out in Airline colors to make it more fashionable..
I'm a member at several fee-paying social clubs where there are both written and unwritten dress rules. I get booted out if I'm dressed in a manner that my fellow members find offensive.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:55 am

In the old Pan Am Clipper Club days, we were expected to dress at least in business casual. After a non-stop 747SP flight, I was pretty casual (slouching and napping) and asked to sit up straight.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hjmanasa
In the old Pan Am Clipper Club days, we were expected to dress at least in business casual. After a non-stop 747SP flight, I was pretty casual (slouching and napping) and asked to sit up straight.
By whom?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by hjmanasa
During the last 5 or 6 years of Pan Am(later '80s to beginning of '90s), I belonged to Clipper Clu. I rarely see people wearing business casual. Then again, that was the last days of Pan Am, so standards were going downhill.

Best Clipper Club at that time was Honolulu... well, they didn't actually have a club there... but members were allowed access to the Qantas lounge which was awesome... even had marble showers.(rare for the 1988-1991) Back then, I had to make monthly trips FRA-JFK-LAX-HNL and back so it was great getting cleaning up before the HNL-LAX on the way back.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:26 am
Suspended

I had to make monthly trips FRA-JFK-LAX-HNL and back so it was great getting cleaning up before the HNL-LAX on the way back.
I'm confused. You flew FRA-JFK-LAX-HNL, had a shower, and then flew back to LAX? What line of work were you in, assuming you were not Honolulu's only Frankfurt-based shower inspector?

Last edited by LondonElite; Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm confused. You flew FRA-JFK-LAX-HNL, had a shower, and then flew back to LAX? What line of work were you in, assuming you were not a Honolulu's only Frankfurt-based shower inspector?
no.... I meant on the return, HNL-LAX-JFK-FRA, I always took a long shower in the Qantas lounge(using my Pan Am Clipper Club card), because the HNL-LAX were redeye flights.

I usually spend 3 to 5 days in Honolulu.'

"Shower inspector" ??? Now that's a job I wouldn't mind having.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:38 am
Suspended

no.... I meant on the return, HNL-LAX-JFK-FRA, I always took a long shower in the Qantas lounge(using my Pan Am Clipper Club card), because the HNL-LAX were redeye flights.

I usually spend 3 to 5 days in Honolulu.'

"Shower inspector" ??? Now that's a job I wouldn't mind having.
Ahh, thank you. Problem solved.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm a member at several fee-paying social clubs where there are both written and unwritten dress rules. I get booted out if I'm dressed in a manner that my fellow members find offensive.
Cool!

So you've been booted out of Airport Lounges? What has been your experience and under what circumstances?..

My 5 year old kid would be booted out of school for the day if he didn't show up in his private school uniform..
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Cool!

So you've been booted out of Airport Lounges? What has been your experience and under what circumstances?..

My 5 year old kid would be booted out of school for the day if he didn't show up in his private school uniform..
I should have written "I would be booted out if I didn't..."

I have never been thrown out of an airport lounge (or anywhere else) since I don't dress like I'm going to the beach or a trailer park reunion when I travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.