Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?

Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?

Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Question Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?

Ok, I know that this is a wierd question, but... am becoming increasing aware of the enforcement of the 55lb per bag weight limit (on a recent flight, the lovely check-in lady at UA - we were flying First Class and she was having trouble chekcing us in. - let us off the excess...). Is there a good suitcase size (assuming average packing habits) to help minimise the chances of exceeding this limit whilst maximising what I can take with me?

Our suitcases are well travelled and getting the worse for wear (one of the handles snapped etc.) and we are beginning to look at changing them. Our current cases are HUGE (26"x18"x10") and expandable. Like many good young women, I manage to pack to my limits: so the bigger the case, probably the more I pack!

Also, there is no easy way to weigh our cases before we get to the airport.

So I am thinking the best way to reduce the risk of going over the weight limit is to - this time round - buy smaller suitcases. I appreciate that the weight of a suitcase depends on what you put in it (i.e. a case of concrete bricks will weigh more than the same case full of feather pillows!), but is there - in anyone's experience - a good suitcase size for the 55lbs limit? (obviously a TINY suitcase would do this, but I want a good compromise...)

Thanks,
Boo
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:10 pm

I have a 29" and a 26" ricardo. I hope I don't go over the limit. I am gonna put only clothes in the 29" and the heavier items (Shoes, toiletries, etc) in the smaller one.

anyone have experience with it?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirDomino
I have a 29" and a 26" ricardo. I hope I don't go over the limit. I am gonna put only clothes in the 29" and the heavier items (Shoes, toiletries, etc) in the smaller one.

anyone have experience with it?
That is my problem... my 26" suitcase (samsonite, soft-sided) filled with mainly clothes (a couple of pairs of shoes, underwear etc and not much else) weighed 65lbs on our last ski trip (there was so ski stuff in the case).

Boo
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I took a 29" hard sided case to Europe a couple years ago and it weighed 72#. I'd go no bigger than 26" to stay under 55#.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
How big is it, too?

There is a whole other aspect where airlines are not enforcing or charging extra for--YET. Size

from nwa, domestic Y gets two checked:

Luggage Measurement
Luggage is measured by adding length, width and height to determine the total number of linear inches/centimeters.
Northwest will accept luggage up to a maximum of 50 pounds (23 kg) and a total linear dimension of 62 inches (158 cm) at no charge.

Note 50 pounds, not 55 as other lines.

I have a large case that exactly hits the 62 inch limit. Mainly to go overseas almost empty and come back with purchases. I was shocked the first time I measured it and it hit the 62 inch limit, as I remember it being mid size in the store--there were lots there a whole lot bigger than the one I bought. I see lots at baggage claim that are bigger than mine. Some just huge.

At check in they weigh the bags, to give the pilot the cargo weight, and now to charge for overweight bags.

When they start measuring, lots of you will have to retire a lot of bags out there or get socked a fee every time. Your 26 x 18 x 10 is already 54 inches, only 8 short of max. And so easy to hit 50 pounds with.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:23 pm

Luggage

I have managed to save some of the weight by using a rolling duffel. Eagle Creek 30" duffel is 9 pounds 6 ounces. The 25" is 7 pounds 12 ounces. Sure you don't have all the pockets and dividers inside but I hardly used them anyway. I would rather use the pack it cubes or 1 to 2 gallon plastic bags. The pack it cubes tend to add a fair amount of bulk so I don't use them regularly.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:54 pm

My Ricardo bags are both 28 x 20 x 10 (Is that 58 Linear Inches?). So am I screwed?

I am going on an international flight from a small regional airport on American Airlines to Osaka through immigration then on all nippon to Okinawa but all nippon allows 70 lbs.

BTW, if you do manage to go over, what do they charge per pound?

BTW, what is the weight limit of your carry on and your 'personal item' ?

Last edited by SirDomino; Feb 9, 2006 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:01 am

I worry mostly about discount airlines and bag size, but I guess that NW has already started it. I have a folding bike with a large (71") case that hasn't been stopped yet. I can easily pack it over 50lbs, but I try not to. As you say, there are lots of people with much bigger bags on lots of flights.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by SirDomino
My Ricardo bags are both 28 x 20 x 10 (Is that 58 Linear Inches?). So am I screwed?

I am going on an international flight from a small regional airport on American Airlines to Osaka through immigration then on all nippon to Okinawa but all nippon allows 70 lbs.

BTW, what is the weight limit of your carry on and your 'personal item' ?
Check out the following link for AA:

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...horEvent=false

Regardless of what each airline allows, you will have to meet the most restrictive allowance or be charged excess. You may want to double check by calling AA, but it is my understanding that since you are starting your trip domestically, you would have to meet the domestic requirements (even though you are connecting to international). Any FTers have a different experience?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I am flying F to SA next month but I have an all Y transfer on Varig(EZE/GIG)so I have to worry about weight limits.
I will have to get a new bag as all of mine are rather heavy.
Any recomendations?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
The airlines are definately cracking down on the weight limit. This is why I gave in and bought a light weight suitcase.

One way to weigh your suitcase is to hold it while you are standing on your scale. Subtract your weight from the total for the suitcase weight.

It depends on the airline.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
My understanding is that the limit was imposed for the health and safety of the baggage handlers having to continually lift heavy loads. Thats how it was explained at LGW anyway
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
My understanding is that the limit was imposed for the health and safety of the baggage handlers having to continually lift heavy loads. Thats how it was explained at LGW anyway
Silly me, I always thought that lifting heavy weights is exercise which makes you better able to lift heavy weights. Or are all those folks pumping iron at Golds Gym mistaken?

Yes it is easier to lift 50 pound bags all day than 70 pound bags.

However, this "safety of the bag tossers" is bunk. They still take heavy bags, just charge you for it. I now see "heavy" stickers on some bags, but the same handlers have to load them. Does being warned that a bag is heavy make it easier for the handler to lift it? What if every pax on one plane brings a 70 pound bag and pays extra? Do the handlers union have a Maximum Percentage of Heavy Bags Per Plane rule?

10 pounds off the average bag for 200 pax is a ton not carried. I think the fuel savings are the driving factor for the airlines on this one.

If it is a safety issue, then they need to put a scale at the airport door with a sign "Warning Strict 50 pound limit, NO exceptions. Weigh your bag here and either take some junk back to your car or there's the trash can. 50.1 pounds and your bag aint flying today even if you are. Thank you for flying User Friendly Airlines." Then enforce it till the public gets the idea.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
[QUOTE=Flaflyer]Silly me, I always thought that lifting heavy weights is exercise which makes you better able to lift heavy weights. Or are all those folks pumping iron at Golds Gym mistaken?

Yes it is easier to lift 50 pound bags all day than 70 pound bags.

However, this "safety of the bag tossers" is bunk. They still take heavy bags, just charge you for it. I now see "heavy" stickers on some bags, but the same handlers have to load them. Does being warned that a bag is heavy make it easier for the handler to lift it? What if every pax on one plane brings a 70 pound bag and pays extra? Do the handlers union have a Maximum Percentage of Heavy Bags Per Plane rule?

10 pounds off the average bag for 200 pax is a ton not carried. I think the fuel savings are the driving factor for the airlines on this one.

If it is a safety issue, then they need to put a scale at the airport door with a sign "Warning Strict 50 pound limit, NO exceptions. Weigh your bag here and either take some junk back to your car or there's the trash can. 50.1 pounds and your bag aint flying today even if you are. Thank you for flying User Friendly Airlines." Then enforce it till the public gets the idea.[/QUOTE
Im not saying i agree with it but the rationale is supposed to be that lifting backs over 50 pounds leads to back injuries, its not the number thats important but the weight per bag
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:39 am

Looks like on AA its a $25 per bag per way charge for 51-70 lbs for INternational travel. So it would be nearly $200 for 4 bags roundtrip. Sounds like a money making scam more then anything, considering I already paid over $200 in fuel surcharges per ticket.

I guess I will pack my bag as full as I can and then weigh it and see. I may have to try and return my luggage and get smaller bags. Or, like I said, pack only light clothes in the big bag and shoes/toiletries/etc in the small bag.

I got two 28" ricardos, and two 26" ricardos for the wife and I.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.