Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suitcase Size and the 55lb limit...?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SirDomino
Looks like on AA its a $25 per bag per way charge for 51-70 lbs for INternational travel. So it would be nearly $200 for 4 bags roundtrip. Sounds like a money making scam more then anything, considering I already paid over $200 in fuel surcharges per ticket.

I guess I will pack my bag as full as I can and then weigh it and see. I may have to try and return my luggage and get smaller bags. Or, like I said, pack only light clothes in the big bag and shoes/toiletries/etc in the small bag.

I got two 28" ricardos, and two 26" ricardos for the wife and I.

Thanks.
Just remember you'll have souvenirs on your return!!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by weblet
Just remember you'll have souvenirs on your return!!
Everything we buy when we're there we tend to ship back by USPS since we are visiting family who are in the military on base and we can ship from the Post Office on Base. Its not too bad, comes out to $1/lb usually, even less if we ship it by cargo.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:56 am

Well there you go! Ship the bags over, ship them back! Hmmm... worth it not to have to check bags with the airline???
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Regardless of what each airline allows, you will have to meet the most restrictive allowance or be charged excess. You may want to double check by calling AA, but it is my understanding that since you are starting your trip domestically, you would have to meet the domestic requirements (even though you are connecting to international). Any FTers have a different experience?
Whatever happened to the rule that if you are connecting (on a single ticket) to another flight, the more generous baggage allowance applies to the entire trip?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:12 pm

Well there you go! Ship the bags over, ship them back! Hmmm... worth it not to have to check bags with the airline???
So instead of using a suitcase, just buy a box, throw all our clothes in it and ship it?? and then take a small suitcase for each of us with just enough clothes to get us by until our packages arrived?

That would still be kinda expensive. Probably about $150 or so round trip.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Whatever happened to the rule that if you are connecting (on a single ticket) to another flight, the more generous baggage allowance applies to the entire trip?
I haven't had any recent experience and why I suggested a call to AA. They have been quoting "the most restrictive rule" issue lately. Of course, what happens at the ticket counter and what you've been told is often at odds also...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
There was a post a few months back from a guy who went often to the same cities in the US and stayed at the same hotels. He kept several packed identical suitcases and FedExed one two days before his trip to the hotel and then had FedEx pick it up and return it. Mail your dirty laundry home as it were. Said it was cost effective and of course no checked bags, no airline lost bags, no waiting at the bag claim, all trips carry on only. I think it is a cool idea and would work for some repetitive travel plans.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
There was a post a few months back from a guy who went often to the same cities in the US and stayed at the same hotels. He kept several packed identical suitcases and FedExed one two days before his trip to the hotel and then had FedEx pick it up and return it. Mail your dirty laundry home as it were. Said it was cost effective and of course no checked bags, no airline lost bags, no waiting at the bag claim, all trips carry on only. I think it is a cool idea and would work for some repetitive travel plans.
Do you have to pack the bags in boxes or do you just lock/zip tie the bag's zippers and wrap a Fedex sticker around the handle??

Curious how much it would cost.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:27 am

Yes it is easier to lift 50 pound bags all day than 70 pound bags.

However, this "safety of the bag tossers" is bunk.
It is not bunk! Luggage handlers are at a couple of places. First contact there is either a skycap or a customer service agent that is going to lift that bag. "safety of the bag tossers" is a major concern for companies. Companies pay out for injuries on the job. I am sure that some of those funds collected from the overweight charges go back to the injuries on the job.
Although employees are trained for lifting bags, we are on time-contraints. Sometimes one just lifts the bag incorrectly.

If it is a safety issue, then they need to put a scale at the airport door with a sign "Warning Strict 50 pound limit, NO exceptions. Weigh your bag here and either take some junk back to your car or there's the trash can. 50.1 pounds and your bag aint flying today even if you are. Thank you for flying User Friendly Airlines." Then enforce it till the public gets the idea.
I am always so surprised by people being surprised by the strict weight allowances. On my first international trip in the '70's I remember weighing my bags carefully at home before going to the airport.
"The signs" are there, one just is not seeing them. They come in your "package" with your trip confirmation. If someone does not read them then, they are still not going to "see" the signs at the airport. The restrictions are on the website.

My guess is with fuel charges skyrocking, weight issues are even more important with keeping costs down.

Last edited by 4thplz; Feb 11, 2006 at 8:30 am
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Does being warned that a bag is heavy make it easier for the handler to lift it?
Yes, and it makes it safer too. You just need to read some of the research work.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I've managed to squeeze 59# into a 26" Samsonite Silhouette. Of course, it was only about 40# before I was given a bunch of stuff at corporate to take back to our satellite office. So, I paid the $25 overage charge (Delta) and then expensed it.

Now when I attend training classes in other cities or otherwise have lots of paper to haul home I just ship home instead.

And I never volunteer to take stuff back with me anymore... been bitten by that question before...

Oh, and the "weighing yourself on your bathroom scale" is the best method I've found... but I did see a scale at IAH at the Continental Express check-in counter last week (next to the carry-on sizer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.