Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you been to any nude beaches in a foreign country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

you know, just to check out the, erh, local scenery.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not totally nude, but topless, because in a lot of places they mostly are. (So is Miami Beach around 26-28th streets, but that's technically not a foreign country.)

Funniest one was in Australia in late December a few years back. The Sydney suburb of Bondi, aside from having one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, is also home to a large orthodox Jewish population. People dressed in traditional Chassidic garb were lighting Chanukah candles on the sidewalk just off the beach, passing around traditional foods such as potato pancakes, and giving out candles for people to light at home, within a few feet of the topless sunbathers! Wish I had had a camera with me...

I've seen totally nude sunbathers in a few places - Geneva and St. Petersburg (Russia) come to mind - but in parks, not on beaches.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, NWA
Sitges Spain. Topless is common on all the beaches. The nude beach is just north of the downtown beaches. It is on the walking path from the Hotel Melia Sitges to the town. Nude bathing is quite natural with the beach hosting people in all stages of dress, families, all ages, ... There is a pleasant cafe overlooking the beach where you can enjoy a glass of cava before heading back out for more swimming. It is a refreshing contrast to the typical American prudishness.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bla_bla
you know, just to check out the, erh, local scenery.
Have you? Which airline did you fly to your beach of choice?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:49 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Guadaloupe, at 14 years old

After I told my story to my classmates I was given a hero's welcome

(p.s. I wasn't naked )
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I think a better question would be who hasn't!! At least fewer replies

I'm trying to think of a country that I've been to that I haven't seen nude or at least topless sunbathing - maybe Bali &, now that I think about it, probably Mexico.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not exactly in a foreign country for some (such as myself). But we do have one in Vancouver: Wreck Beach near UBC where clothing is optional. One would need to hike down there to access it though and it is not necessarily a short hike.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
We visited St.Martin/St.Maarten and went to the nude beach (associated with the nude resort). The funniest thing was seeing the cruise pax offloaded for the day who came walking up the beach and as they crossed the imaginary line from the "normal" beach to the nude beach, were shocked to realize where they were !!!!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:31 am

Programs: LH Sen; US Silver; AA Silver; Hilton Gold
nude beaches are a wonderful thing- the world should have more of them

hurlimann
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
Originally Posted by hurlimann
nude beaches are a wonderful thing- the world should have more of them

hurlimann
Unfortunately, most of the people I've seen on nude beaches should NOT be there, and the people you would want to see on them aren't!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:17 am

beaches

All over Europe, selected Asian countries, and 4 here in the USA
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jneugeba
Unfortunately, most of the people I've seen on nude beaches should NOT be there, and the people you would want to see on them aren't!
For those of us who can see naked people at other places, this isn't really a consideration.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:17 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by HeelLaw
For those of us who can see naked people at other places, this isn't really a consideration.
Just make sure you bring plenty of one dollar bills
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:23 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jneugeba
Interesting... you assume that nude beaches are there to satisfy your prurience and the habitués should conform to your definitions of beauty, sex-appeal or whatever.

The OP's comment is pretty much in the same vein, suggesting that one goes to ogle nude foreigners for a naughty thrill. It's amazing, but not surprising, what behaviours a prudish society will produce!

Still, maybe one in five who go to leer return impressed by the naturalness of it and achieve one of travel's celebrated benefits - broadening of the mind.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
When I was in 15, I went to France to visit the family of an exchange student that we had at our house for a few weeks the previous year. At that age, I was quite happy to see that most girls on the beach went topless (though interestingly, my exchange student's sister chose to wear her top at the beach.)

I then asked about nude beaches, and my exchange student's father said that they like to sunbathe in an area just a short walk from the main beach. He took us over there and I was happy to see fully nude women too

I'll say that I think their attitudes about sex and nudity are much healthy there than they are here. Notice that al lthat stuff wasn't a big deal to my exchange student's father and to my exchange student. I, on the other hand, was all excited because nudity is so taboo here and because I was a hormone filled teenager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.